I actually have the Curve 8900, but my sister has the Pearl 8120. I was just curious about making calls over wifi. We were both over at a mutual friends house today where there was no mobile signal. We both signed onto wifi to find that we both had data access (obviously) but that I was able to make and recieve calls/sms messages, whilst she wasn't. We're both with the same provider ...... any ideas why the difference?

p.s - I originally posted this in the Pearl section, but it's not at active as it is here.
    03-22-10 03:11 PM
    I too would love to know if this can be done. Are there any softphone apps for Blackberry?
    03-22-10 03:13 PM
    Orange in the UK has UMA
    which allows you to call over wifi. Any wifi hotspot in the world will work and your call will register as 'home' ie: uk

don't show off, we at 3 mobile, o2 and T-mobile are waiting impatiently for the UMA. :P
    03-22-10 03:48 PM
    I actually have the Curve 8900, but my sister has the Pearl 8120. I was just curious about making calls over wifi. We were both over at a mutual friends house today where there was no mobile signal. We both signed onto wifi to find that we both had data access (obviously) but that I was able to make and recieve calls/sms messages, whilst she wasn't. We're both with the same provider ...... any ideas why the difference?

p.s - I originally posted this in the Pearl section, but it's not at active as it is here.
    I am a rogers wireless subscriber and 8900 owner as well and I have and added feature called talkspot which was 10 dollars on top of my current plan. It offers free evenings at 5 and free calling as long as start your call on a wireless network. I'm pretty sure all 8900's support uma calling, and assuming your service provider is orange uk I'm pretty sure they do to, just have a look around their site or call them and ask. Hope this helped

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-22-10 03:53 PM
    You have to have a UMA enabled phone AND a carrier that does UMA. Maybe your sister's phone doesn't do UMA? In the US only Tmobile has UMA.
    03-22-10 04:58 PM
    Yep, I'm always on UMA at my house with my 8900. The beauty of WiFi!!
    03-23-10 06:03 AM
    Her phone is UMA enabled and on a UMA enabled network ..... may have to make a call to Orange for her.
    03-27-10 04:12 PM
    I've been doing alot of reading on UMA recently and i'm not completly clued up on how it all works, but it is a secured connection and as such you need a valid account / secure ID to login to the UMA service, which i beleive is stored on your SIM, therefore if Orange have not setup your sis's account to grant her access to the UMA gateway then obviously it won't work, so maybe ring orange and make sure she is setup to use the service.
    04-03-10 03:24 PM
    Anyone know if this can be done with Bell Mobility? cause, cell phone reception is quite iffy at my house...
    04-17-10 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD