Hi, I have started a petition online to try to make BB OS and OS 10 open source on January 1st 2020. This would allow us to keep our Blackberry devices alive for much longer. Please help with this by signing the petition with the link bellow. Thanks!

http://chng.it/2VM4Kmk7h9
    Dugi Devet likes this.
    04-07-19 02:08 PM
    Hi, I have started a petition online to try to make BB OS and OS 10 open source on January 1st 2020. This would allow us to keep our Blackberry devices alive for much longer. Please help with this by signing the petition with the link bellow. Thanks!

Can't and won't ever happen. The embedded QNX IP is too important to BlackBerry now, and going forward.

Nor would it help keep BB10 alive. Hardware root of trust requires software to be signed by BlackBerry - and it's not as if BlackBerry will provide the community with its signing keys.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    04-07-19 02:16 PM
    You are asking them to make millions of dollars of proprietary information available. Companies don't spend millions on patents to give their technology away.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-07-19 04:10 PM
    Being open source or closed source has no bearing on BlackBerry Ltd. keeping up all of the infrastructure that BB10 is shackled to (that will have the rug pulled out from under it on or after January 1, 2020). Admittedly I'd like to see the whole enchilada open sourced one day, but not only is BB deathly allergic to open source, most of the plumbing of BB10 is in use in QNX, which they're still selling.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-07-19 04:14 PM
    As others have said, they won’t do it and it wouldn’t help.

Plus how many developers would even work on this if it were open source??
    PantherBlitz and BergerKing like this.
    04-07-19 06:06 PM
    Hey 2 people signed. It's a start.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    04-07-19 06:14 PM
    Hey 2 people signed. It's a start.
    Only need 9,999,998 more to go.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    04-07-19 06:15 PM
    Only need 9,999,998 more to go.
    Take one down, pass it around...
    04-07-19 06:19 PM
    There may also be a great deal of code in BB10 that is licensed in ways that would make it impossible to open source.

For example, as I understand it, while HP and LG have made much of webOS open source, some of the key parts, like Mojo, were proprietary.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-07-19 08:05 PM
    The "community" couldn't bring the BB10 CrackBerry App up to the level of Android, when they tried to make it an "open sourced" project... and that was years ago when there was much more of a community.

Sorry but as others have stated, BlackBerry has financial and even legal reasons not to do it. But even if they did... along with releasing ROM unlock software. I doubt that with the limited phone hardware that has QNX drivers, that you'd get much interest. Certainly not enough to actually offer up an stable and complete upgrade...
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-08-19 11:48 AM
    Not going to happen. Pointless petition is pointless.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    04-08-19 03:43 PM
    Can't and won't ever happen. The embedded QNX IP is too important to BlackBerry now, and going forward.

Nor would it help keep BB10 alive. Hardware root of trust requires software to be signed by BlackBerry - and it's not as if BlackBerry will provide the community with its signing keys.
    Completely agree
    04-08-19 04:11 PM
    Open source will not help anyhow - BEOS, webkit, etc. are all open source, did not help the company at all. Just got rip off by someone, like the BBM going free event. BB will never do it again if they learn the lesson. Does Huawei OS not good enough? seek alternative? just a guess. ;-) kidding.
    04-08-19 04:45 PM
    If you are a fan of blackberry, sign it. I did.
    04-08-19 06:05 PM
    I am a big fan of blackberry, even own the stock over last 10 years. but I would not sign it. It would be shooting yourself in the foot move. At current state, at least BB got infortainment + radar and security. If 5G take place, still got a chance for QNX to control over "environment". Open source QNX kills all. However, if BB start provide hosting email/web service as security subscription, I'll sign up (no gmail) with BB10. Let's say 10-15 dollar per month (get sick and tired of spam), but they killed server farm... hard to see that happen. ;-(
    04-08-19 06:51 PM

Sure.

Because the other 10 or 20 petitions started over the last 4 years have been so successful.

At getting a few hundred people to sign them.

I think the last BB10 related petition got maybe 70.
    skrble likes this.
    04-08-19 08:18 PM
    There's a better chance of getting BlackBerry Ltd to sell all their Android PPSE's on this marketplace than anything to happen to BB10 lol
    04-09-19 01:38 AM
    I think that Blackberry company is preparing for BB11 OS or something like that.
    Android is more and more annoying OS and will not last long, today form of android is here just for a few years, like from samsung galaxy s3 or something like that from 2011.
    Today Android is more and more boring and annoying with his non stop updating apps, notifications and so on specially the design, its just disgusting.
    BB10 have the most best working and looking OS, the way of multitasking is just amazing, BB10 OS just need big update for better battery life and for support newer apps updates.
    Everything that is possible to do very easy, all we need is just force the company to do that.
    people need to start doing youtube videos how BB10 need update to destroy regular Android and it will happen, movement need to be big and we will get our phones proud again.
    I just buy week ago Blackberry Passport, i was using Ulefone Tiger and trow him in the garbage....
    Passport is amazing phone, no annoyings anymore.
    Keep forcing BB10 update!
    Wee need to get at least 6.0 or 7.0 support for apps!
    04-09-19 01:47 AM
    I think that Blackberry company is preparing for BB11 OS or something like that.
    Android is more and more annoying OS and will not last long, today form of android is here just for a few years, like from samsung galaxy s3 or something like that from 2011.
    Today Android is more and more boring and annoying with his non stop updating apps, notifications and so on specially the design, its just disgusting.
    BB10 have the most best working and looking OS, the way of multitasking is just amazing, BB10 OS just need big update for better battery life and for support newer apps updates.
    Everything that is possible to do very easy, all we need is just force the company to do that.
    people need to start doing youtube videos how BB10 need update to destroy regular Android and it will happen, movement need to be big and we will get our phones proud again.
    I just buy week ago Blackberry Passport, i was using Ulefone Tiger and trow him in the garbage....
    It’s not economically feasible or legally possible for so many different reasons.
    johnny_bravo72, skrble and glwerry like this.
    04-09-19 05:34 AM
    Spoiler alert: they aren't.

But use your Passport as long as it works for you. It's a great device.
    BergerKing and cwalt2166 like this.
    04-09-19 06:05 AM
    They have lost BILLIONS on BB10 development... ending BB10 back in 2014 was actually one of the best moves that Chen made for shareholders. For Fans not so much, but then there wasn't enough of them to make BB10 viable anyway...
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    04-09-19 07:01 AM
    This is the correct reaction to using a Ulefone Tiger. A Z10 would look like a fantastic device next to that crap.
    04-09-19 07:16 AM
    Well, well....so do I understand correctly that all these nice people here are simply saying this:

"Since BB OS is almost dead, ok, go ahead and enjoy your devices for as long as you can, but in the end, you will have to go the Android way" ?

Dear fellows, is really this your message to people who still like Blackberry's OS? And did you ever stop to think that maybe lots of people came to this OS from Android, or iOS?

I, for one, came to the Classic and Passport devices after having used lots of Android devices, and two Apple phones; so far, I am very happy with my decision. Ok, I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect all opinions here. But don't you think that it might be a tad annoying reading the same things from the same people every other day, that is BB OS 10 is practically dead and if you want to support BB, do buy an Android device form that Chinese company? On another thread, conite said that the device should cover your needs and not the other way around; and obviously he was totally correct. Following that, what if there are still thousands of people that get their needs covered by a BB OS 10 device? Why try to steer these people to Android, or back to Android?

And one last question; Have you checked Passport prices lately? Yes, it's either NOS, or used/refurbished devices, but have you actually checked? In many cases, more expensive than the Priv or Keyone, and that's saying something.

So, to wrap this up. Would I love something done with BB OS 10? Yes, I would! Do I realistically think something will happen? No, I don't. But I choose to stay with it for as long as I can, so no need to try and convert me or anyone else in my shoes to Android!

Take care all!
    Dugi Devet likes this.
    04-09-19 11:39 AM
    I forgot to say.

Although I don't think anything will come out of it, yes, I did sign that petition. Regardless of the outcome, it's what you do that counts.
    04-09-19 12:25 PM
    And one last question; Have you checked Passport prices lately? Yes, it's either NOS, or used/refurbished devices, but have you actually checked? In many cases, more expensive than the Priv or Keyone, and that's saying something.
    That people are scamming those who can't/won't/don't want to move on? Seems accurate.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-09-19 12:27 PM
117 123 ...