I wonder...

To the average uninformed consumer (you know, not us) are people drawn to a blackberry specifically over an iphone or android because it LOOKS less like a toy and more like a cell phone?

Thoughts?
    09-09-10 05:08 AM
    Maybe. I, as an informed consumer, am drawn to BlackBerry because it IS less of a toy.
    09-09-10 05:48 AM
    I wonder...

To the average uninformed consumer (you know, not us) are people drawn to a blackberry specifically over an iphone or android because it LOOKS less like a toy and more like a cell phone?

Thoughts?
    I wonder...

To the average uninformed Blackberry owner (you know, not me) are creating stupid threads to justify their purchase specifically over an iphone or android because it DOES less, and calling them toys somehow validates this? And what exactly does a cell phone "look" like anyway?

Thoughts?
    09-09-10 06:02 AM
    Wow...I think you hurt tucker's feelings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 06:05 AM
    I wonder...

Thoughts?
    How does a slab of glass look like a toy? Nothing about the iPhone screams toy. There is no d-pad, joy stick, x, triangle, circle, square, a, b, c, r1,r2,l, l1, rb, lb, lt, rt or start or select button anywhere on the device (usually toy references have something to do with devices that actually have the capability to play games and not just act as a phone and messaging device). It even has the word "phone" on it. The iPhone 4 actually looks pretty elegant as well.
    09-09-10 06:07 AM
    I think they all look good and none of the current offerings look like toys. One should compare features of a given device with their needs and budget and buy what suits them best.

09-09-10 06:11 AM
    Wow...I think you hurt tucker's feelings.

Nah, I'm sitting here with a Droid in my left hand and a Blackberry in my right hand. And for the life of me, I can't figure out what a cell phone is supposed to look like. Color me stupid!
    09-09-10 06:33 AM
    Does being sick and tired of people shoving it in my face and telling me "You've gotta see this video" or "Hey look at this cool app" count as being a toy? Sick of it.
    I would be sick of it too if my phone didn't have those capabilities.
    09-09-10 07:13 AM
    DAMN! Give the guy a break, it's a simple question! You may not like the wording but you don't have to attack the guy!

I notice that the majority of people that I deal with look towards the Android devices before they look at the BlackBerry (can't say anything about the iPhone because I don't deal with that particular handset). There are just alot of people out there that like the touch screen, the big HD display, a ton of apps and stuff, but I occasionally get someone in who is looking for that BlackBerry device, full keyboard and such. Now I can't speak for all people, but in the area where I work, that's what the customers who come into my store are looking at. Just one perspective...

I think they all look good and none of the current offerings look like toys. One should compare features of a given device with their needs and budget and buy what suits them best.

+1, 100%
    09-09-10 07:23 AM
    Most uninformed people are drawn to Blackberry because it is a status symbol or for BBM.

09-09-10 07:38 AM
    I had three main draws to BlackBerry.

1. The ability to have data without the requirement to have data for the phone to function. I like my data, but I could live without it if finances got too tight.

2. Stability. I am a Stay-at-home Mom, but I need a phone that is wildly stable. It need to be able to call my elderly grandma 2x a day to check on her. I need to be able to stay in touch with my brother in the Army. I must be available if my kiddos need me while at school. Keeping my toddler entertained with all the waiting for everyone else is a definite bonus.

3. Durability. I am very careful with my phones, because we cannot afford to replace them. I needed something that could stand up to the occasional dropping and to being put in my pocket, etc. When I walked into the T-Mobile store and asked for a good, stable, durable phone, the guy threw his Curve across the store, picked it up, showed me that it was still working, and I was sold.

In the time we've had cell phones, I've had 5 different models. Several of those models I've had at least 2 of. (Warranty issues) My Motorola Razr and my Blackberry are the only two that consistently work (worked, in the case of my Razr...RIP!!) without shutting off, giving me horrible call quality, having screens mess up, etc.
    09-09-10 07:39 AM
    In the time we've had cell phones, I've had 5 different models. Several of those models I've had at least 2 of. (Warranty issues) My Motorola Razr and my Blackberry are the only two that consistently work (worked, in the case of my Razr...RIP!!) without shutting off, giving me horrible call quality, having screens mess up, etc.
    I used to have a Razr too, that phone was awesome, worked like a champ, never had one problem with that handset. To be quite honest I think that it still outperforms most current flip phones available today, I wish it was still available, not for me of course...

When I was running 4.6 I removed BBM. I was disappointed to find that upgrading to 5.0 re installed BBM and it now can not be removed. Another useless application to me.
    LOL when I had my Curve I removed BBM for about the first year, didn't know what the big deal was, didn't know anyone with a BB... now that my friends are starting to make the switch, BBM has become one of my most used apps.
    09-09-10 09:04 AM
    I would completely agree with the OP's post if they changed the word "LOOKS" to ACTS

When I was running 4.6 I removed BBM. I was disappointed to find that upgrading to 5.0 re installed BBM and it now can not be removed. Another useless application to me.
    You can download BBM from App world, replace the current version, and then it becomes deletable. That is what I did, as I don't use BBM.
    09-09-10 09:18 AM
    Does being sick and tired of people shoving it in my face and telling me "You've gotta see this video" or "Hey look at this cool app" count as being a toy? Sick of it.
    I posted about Robert in another thread, the guy with the iPhone at FANatics bar in Chattanooga. When I approach the bar and see his car, I keep driving. I get my lunch there and don't want his phone in my face while I eat my lunch. If the iPhone is so cool that it changes you into an obnoxious !d!ot, keep it. I'll pass. 'Haven't seen anything it does that I just gotta have, and I played with many of them on the insistence of the owner. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. Nor do any other phones. I bought this 8520 because I wanted this 8520.

Actually, I am annoyed more than anything with phone wars by those who say to you, "How can you stand using a Blackberry when the iPhone is so much better." Believe me, again I say, if I in fact I wanted an iPhone, I would own one.
    That doesn't count as a toy. Your BB can do the same thing. If you count that feature as being a toy, then consider your BB a toy as well.
    09-10-10 12:30 AM
    Because of how good it is at what it does best -- messaging.
    09-10-10 12:35 AM
    It looks and acts like a phone. Most droids and the iphone are a touchscreen computer where you can make phone calls with. A bb (except storm) look like the classic cell phones: screen with a keyboard underneath it.
    09-10-10 12:46 AM
    To clarify,

By "toy" i meant in a tech sorda way... devices that do so much, like apps, and games and hd video recording and things that really aren't necessary in a cell phone are sometimes called "toys" by consumers and they therefore justify reasons why they don't need that particular device.

i've had iphone, 3 android phones and 9 blackberrys i'm not biased over any particular device as they are all great at what they do. it was just a simple question. i've seen people walk into a cell phone store wanting a new device but specifically picking a blackberry or something high-end (but non flashy phone) simply because they want something more "business appropriate" (in their opinion) or something that doesn't look high-maintenance and Blackberry happens to fit that bill majority of the time.

and when i say "what a cell phone is suppose to look like" i mean that when any person looks at it, they know automatically that it's a cell phone and don't have to ask "is that a cell phone?" i.e. like how people ask if someones ipod touch is an iphone. blackberrys are clearly viewed as phones and nothing else while other devices often get mistaken for being something else or more than just a phone.
    09-10-10 01:04 AM
    To clarify,

By "toy" i meant in a tech sorda way... devices that do so much, like apps, and games and hd video recording and things that really aren't necessary in a cell phone are sometimes called "toys" by consumers and they therefore justify reasons why they don't need that particular device.

i've had iphone, 3 android phones and 9 blackberrys i'm not biased over any particular device as they are all great at what they do. it was just a simple question. i've seen people walk into a cell phone store wanting a new device but specifically picking a blackberry or something high-end (but non flashy phone) simply because they want something more "business appropriate" (in their opinion) or something that doesn't look high-maintenance and Blackberry happens to fit that bill majority of the time.

and when i say "what a cell phone is suppose to look like" i mean that when any person looks at it, they know automatically that it's a cell phone and don't have to ask "is that a cell phone?" i.e. like how people ask if someones ipod touch is an iphone. blackberrys are clearly viewed as phones and nothing else while other devices often get mistaken for being something else or more than just a phone.
    iPod Touchs are often confused with iPhones because they almost look exactly the same. By your logic (people asking if the iPod touch is an iPhone), people automatically assume the iPod Touch is a phone. So I guess people now think touchscreens are automatically phones?

I don't think having apps, games and HD video makes a device a toy. This is starting to become the norm now. The only manufacturer not keeping up with the norm is RIM. Most highend devices (priced the same as flagship RIM devices) are coming standard with these features now.

A few years ago, I would probably agree that a lot of these features could be "toyish", but not anymore. These new devices are all around devices. They can be used for anything you want. Business or pleasure. You get to decide if the device is a toy or not. The same could be done with a BB.
    09-10-10 01:36 AM
    Certainly, the owner makes it a toy. Phone calls, texts between my wife and I and my band mates, E-Mail from clients and international news is really all I use my phone for. Don't use video or music, but it's like buying cable tv. You have to accept what you don't need to get what you do need. If anything, Viigo is what I use the most on my phone because I read news quite often. My phone is one of many sources I access. If that makes my phone a toy, no problem. I rarely use the camera and the three dumb phones I have retired don't cut it.
    None of these devices are toys stock is what I'm getting at. They are all tools to use them the way you want to use them. IMO a toy is something you use to have fun. Any of these devices have those capabilities.

something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
    Toy | Define Toy at Dictionary.com

And according to that quote, every device can do this.

It really makes no sense why people call these smartphones toys, when the toy factor is created by the user.

People claim BBs are for business professionals and that BBs are for the corporate world. Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of teenagers using BBs to text and BBM their friends during class. That sure sounds like a distraction to me.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-10-10 at 07:02 AM.
    09-10-10 06:58 AM
    I wonder.....
    Are these kinds of threads designed souly for traffic and trolling?
    09-10-10 07:03 AM
    That doesn't count as a toy. Your BB can do the same thing. If you count that feature as being a toy, then consider your BB a toy as well.
    Assume both are toys. Android and iphone users seem to regularly claim that their toys can do those things better than BlackBerry. To that, I say "So what"? I would never choose those (or any) other toys over BlackBerry just because their phone to metal detecor application is better.
    09-10-10 07:14 AM
    I wonder.....
    Are these kinds of threads designed souly for traffic and trolling?
    Who is trolling?
    09-10-10 07:21 AM
    Oh geeze! Toy this, toy that. Can't we end this cellular bigotry, and all just get along?
    09-10-10 07:29 AM
    Assume both are toys. Android and iphone users seem to regularly claim that their toys can do those things better than BlackBerry. To that, I say "So what"? I would never choose those (or any) other toys over BlackBerry just because their phone to metal detecor application is better.
    Some people just like boasting about things they own. You know, like when BB users always say they have the best communications tool on earth, even though that is all opinion and it is not fact. The fact is, every platform has people who boast about something their device can do. Before the iPhone came out, people with BBs were pulling up videos all the time and showing people apps they had. I remember it pretty clearly.

Like I said, the user is the one who turns it into a toy. The smartphone itself does not.
    09-10-10 07:29 AM
    Oh geeze! Toy this, toy that. Can't we end this cellular bigotry, and all just get along?
    Everyone is getting along just fine so far.
    09-10-10 07:31 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD