excuse my ignorance, but what is a magnometer and what benefit do we get from it on a BlackBerry?
    01-13-11 10:20 AM
    Is it for a compass?? That's my guess without googling.
    01-13-11 10:23 AM
    From wikipedia:
    Mobile phones

Magnetometers are appearing in mobile phones. The HTC HD2, Nokia C7-00, HTC Dream, HTC Evo, HTC Wildfire, Apple iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPad, Motorola Droid[6], Motorola Quench, Nokia N97, Nokia E72, Nokia N8, Nokia E5, Xperia X10, Samsung i8910, Samsung Wave S8500, Samsung Galaxy S, Nexus One and the HTC Hero all have a magnetometer and come with compass apps for showing direction.[7][8]

Researchers in Deutsche Telekom have used magnetometers embedded in those devices to perform touch-less 3d interaction around mobile device. Their interaction framework called MagiTact tracks changes to the magnetic field around a cellphone to identify different gestures by a hand holding or wearing a magnet.[9]
    01-13-11 10:29 AM
    So I still don't know what the practical applications are, besides a compass. My thoughts are this will help to improve apps like Compass.
    01-13-11 10:33 AM
    The Magnetometer is the device used as a digital compass. It main purpose with blackberry will be with augmented reality. That is when you point the camera at something and your blackberry can change the image. Like point at the sky and see the constellations clearly marked out for you. It is really neat what can be done with it!
    01-13-11 10:37 AM
    Cool I thought it had might have something to with AR but I didn't think we would see anything like that until dualcore bbs.
    01-13-11 10:48 AM
    The Magnetometer is the device used as a digital compass. It main purpose with blackberry will be with augmented reality. That is when you point the camera at something and your blackberry can change the image. Like point at the sky and see the constellations clearly marked out for you. It is really neat what can be done with it!
    So is that how they do that on the Android phones? It has a how factor but in all reality its not extreemly useful for day to day practical needs unless you have a boat or work as an astronomer, at least that application. I'm going to need to hear some other, more practical use, before I actually get excited over that.
    01-13-11 11:22 AM
    I don't know if this has much to do with a Manometer, probably not because he says it's vision based, but here is some compelling footage of Qualcomm's ideas for Augmented Reality. The everyday usefulness is outlined towards the end when he says you could point it at something like an appliance, a washing machine for example and get an interactive user manual on screen. But when Ina Fried says you need better, faster processors for this stuff, well that's why I thought a Manometer would be better suited in a QNX dual core phone.

The idea of really useful to the laymen AR in a phone is pretty new, that's why we need to see more applications like Rockem Sockem Robots released so people can get the sense of just how frickin cool it's going to be.
    01-13-11 11:43 AM
    Wikipedia should have info, maybe a quick google search? I donno lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 12:50 PM
    I see, not a very exciting feature if you ask me, but I'll take it. Can't hurt.....
    01-14-11 04:02 PM
    I'd trade it for a web kit with column view.
    01-14-11 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD