Just found out these existed...something like this Magnetic Adapter Charger USB Charging Line Cable For Samsung HTC Android | eBay

anyone used one before and have good experience? Or is this another new way to rip people of money for a novelty item?

thinking this might be a substitute for wireless charging, I know it isn't same but for me, it would be adequate. didn't like battery warming up when charging wirelessly
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-02-17 07:01 PM
    This is really interesting since I never heard of these before.
    01-02-17 07:34 PM
    Yes, bought one and thought it was amazing... fit snug into the bottom of the Passport and great for charging / sync. I did find one main issue with the cable; the magnets are stronger than the glue holding the cable end together. It pulled the four prong connection out one day and ended up shorting / breaking my USB port on the Passport, it still charges but no data ( fired something inside? : even replaced the port, must have caused issue higher on the main board).

So yes it is really convenient and neat to use but when / if it pulls apart please gently throw it away before your phone gets hurt. I did end up buying a spare Passport over this cable, so all ended on a good note here.
    BigBadWulf, eyeb and 454vette like this.
    01-02-17 07:44 PM
    thanks for the tip on the strong magnets, if I get around to buying this, I'll try to find some tape or glue and fix the dongle to the phone. I don't use data transfer much and I use blackberry blend to move files wirelessly most of time or the wireless folder that is built into bb
    01-02-17 09:24 PM
    I bought a couple of them, and they worked okay for a while, but two issues:

• The connector on the cable contains two strong magnets that magnetically grip the "stub" that goes into your phone. Unfortunately, the magnets are glued into the connector and the glue doesn't hold up. Eventually the magnets come out, making the cable useless.
    • I can't speak to all of them, but the ones I had contained a circuit in the connector that limited the voltage to 5V - which "breaks" QuickCharge (which on a supported phone can step up the voltage to change the battery faster) and resulted in noticeably longer charging times.

The concept is fantastic, but the execution, due to being a third-party design, just isn't there. I've gone back to normal cables for those times when Qi wireless charging isn't available (not very often for me).
    BigBadWulf and eyeb like this.
    01-02-17 10:02 PM
    sounds like the concept is there but the rest isn't maybe a few more attempts to get it right before i buy one

thanks for the feedback
    01-02-17 10:15 PM
    sounds like the concept is there but the rest isn't maybe a few more attempts to get it right before i buy one

thanks for the feedback
    Didn't know these existed! This is just what I need for some of my electronics with loose ports, bought a couple already, will see how it goes.
    01-02-17 11:47 PM
    Saw these recently, and debated making a purchase. Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad I waited.
    01-02-17 11:52 PM
    Didn't know these existed! This is just what I need for some of my electronics with loose ports, bought a couple already, will see how it goes.
    let us know if you remember. I buy things online in batches so I won't be purchasing anything until mid-year or spring.
    01-03-17 08:16 AM
    let us know if you remember. I buy things online in batches so I won't be purchasing anything until mid-year or spring.
    Best thing since sliced bread. I bought one for all my devices and spares. Most of my devices are shelved because of broken USB ports. This is taking care of that and the ease of use is great!
    03-06-17 02:07 PM
    The main selling point of these is to reduce wear and tear on the port.

But I've never had an issue with that across all my USB-charged devices, including multiple phones, tablets, and mp3 players.
    03-06-17 07:18 PM
    I have a few, works good. great for those with little kids and dogs that can knock your phone etc, thereby breaking the ports.

I use them for iphone/ipad and usb Micro, they are not interchangeable though i had hope they would be but they are not. iphone/ipad only works with iphone/ipad cable and micro on works with micro cables. although i kept it to the same manufacturer and model number as well.
    03-06-17 07:28 PM
    I keep seeing them being advertized in video form in Facebook. They look like they might be of some use if you only hand one hand free, otherwise....

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-07-17 01:28 AM