I've seen the reviews on the Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S 2, an I have to admit, I am very interested. I actually had the feeling that BB is way out dated compared to androids Ice Cream Sandwich, and iOS. I like the the usefulness of the widgets, and all the things that it can do. I actually was telling myself "wow, is it only BBM, when it comes to Blackberry?"

My question is to those that have 'made the switch' to Android from BB. What are your thoughts, and what do u miss the most? Is Android really far more advance then BBOS, and do you wanna go back to BB, and why?
    11-20-11 11:09 PM
    I've had a Blackberry for about six years. The iPhone has interested me and I've tried two different Android phones in the past two years. I most recently upgraded to the Blackberry 9850, then after using it for approximately 30 days, the Motorola Photon (Electrify) was released. The Electrify was "the phone" I had actually really been waiting for. To me it was going to be the "big sha-bang."
    Now, after having the Electrify for about a month and a half, I found my self really missing my Blackberry Torch.
    Today I went to the store and replaced my Electrify with the Torch once again.
    Sure, widgets and all those apps. can be a lot of fun, but really I don't use them or need them. I especially do not trust Android's security as I do my banking and approximately 75% of my investments on my phone -on the go.

Good luck with your decision.
    11-20-11 11:28 PM
    Thanks for your feedback, N1. I appreciate it. I really don't bank via mobile device. I'm still ol' school. I'm not really interested in games, really. It's really the utilities, and speed of ICS that I am impressed with. I wanna just glance at my phone's screen and know whats going on, appose to going into folders and opening apps. The speed of the browser, and flash is a plus, as well.
    11-20-11 11:39 PM
    In september i had an Android device, the LG Optimus 2x, the first dual core phone. The truth ? i missed my BB every day until i came back with my BB Torch in november. Android is okay to see some pictures, watch videos, play games (or maybe not cuz in two hours your battery is gone). The games are amazing with that Tegra 2 chipset, but for other stuff (Comunications stuff) i guess Blackberry is better. I missed my Email, and the easy way of type with a real keyboard and stay on touch with my mates and family, the Android device are everything but push. So if you want a multimedia Smartphone and very very short battery life go for Android, or if you want a SmartPHONE stay with BlackBerry, i always came back to BlackBerry, no matter what i do, simply BlackBerry satisfies all my needs.
    11-21-11 12:22 AM
    I was just hours away from giving up my BB for no other reason than that I was interested in trying an all touch device. I spent about a week researching and watching videos on the Nexus S and decided that was the phone I would go with. Anyway, I went to the store to pick up my new Android and got so overwhelmed and filled with anxiety about giving up my BB, I couldn't go through with it. Lo and behold, I get home, checked my carriers website and there it was, the brand new 9860, just listed! Talk about excited!! Lol

So no, I didn't quite make the switch, glad that I didn't and not really concerned that BB is a little behind he times. What I do know is that BB has been good to me since the beginning and it does all I need it to do plus so much more. I'm 110% happy with this device and will hopefully never have the opportunity to have to look back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 12:40 AM
    Why would anyone want to switch to Android ? Google app store is infested with malware and Google sends you ads and mines your data. Sure iOS is nice, (this is being sent from my 1st gen iPad ) but I like being able to send email attachments without having to open them first. Last week I was in an area without wired or wifi Ethernet and I was able to plot 72 CAD files to PDF, zip them, drag and drop them to my 9810, and then attach them to an email. I don't care how unpopular BB becomes, I came over from being a non smartphone user and I don't see myself switching to anything else.
    JR A and belfastdispatcher like this.
    11-21-11 01:18 AM
    Communication = BlackBerry
    Fun to do stuff that doesn't really matter (at least not to me) = Android

I'm constantly multitasking between sending a text, copy and pasting a link/contact, opening an email, forwarding a message, and copying text all at the same time. I can't tell you how much easier it is on a Blackberry because of they physical keyboard and they way the menu system/options are set up. Everything is just intuitive and easy for me on a BB to do everything I just said (and to do it constantly throughout the day).

I love my Bold 9930. I always have a BB no matter how uncool it is. Sure, I'll have the latest Android phone that comes out every 32 seconds just because I'm a tech geek and I like to stay up to date and have the latest and greatest just to please the geek in me. But I'll always have a BB on me because I still need to get things done...

bcbbanga4l likes this.
    11-21-11 01:47 AM
    I went from using nothing but various BlackBerry phones as my main device from 2006 until January of last year. On my second line I went through a few Windows Mobile phones, two iPhones, many different Androids, and two Windows Phones. I dropped down to one phone as I no longer needed both, and decided I could do without the BlackBerry. Especially after a few badly timed outages in late '09.

I didn't miss the BlackBerry much until I started seeing the 9900. I switched back. It was amazing for three weeks. I realized how much I missed the keyboard. Phone calling was perfect. I loved the speed.

However, battery life is no better than my new Galaxy S II. No Google+. Gtalk was unreliable. Navigation was not exactly great. The camera was only OK. The extra expense for the hosted BES and the more expensive BES data plan was annoying me. Regardless of the improvements to the browser, it is still pretty pathetic in comparison to what's on the Galaxy S II, the Amaze, iPhone, HD7, and the Sensation. Android, iOS, and Windows Phone all make the best BlackBerry ever a disappointment.

I miss the battery life of the 9700. I miss the keyboard on the 9900. I miss the fantastic speaker phone on those devices.

Yet, I will not be switching back. The Galaxy S II is currently my choice. Just like the 9900 I have an extra battery to make it through a full work day but it is doing much more than the 9900 could.

The really screwed up thing is that I WANT to be using a BlackBerry, even right now, but there is not a single one that is good enough.
    Last edited by JNM; 11-21-11 at 03:20 AM.
    11-21-11 03:18 AM
    I made the switch from BB (9700) to Android (Samsung Vibrant) a little more than a year ago. I'm back now. Barely made it eight months, too. I was so desperate to get away from Android and that Vibrant that I returned to the Bold 9000 in June before upgrading to the 9930 at the end of September.

Much like everyone else, Android was a buggy and laggy experience with poor battery life and app overload. I rooted my phone to get more out of it, but only ended up frustrated.

I use GMail for the most part, but also have a yahoo account I rely on for some communication. The Android was wonderful for GMail, as expected, but totally unreliable with the Yahoo account.

Android masquerades as an iPhone killer, touting its customization possibilities as an advantage over iOS, but it all ends up being extremely cosmetic. Most Android owners I know in my profession have come to terms with carrying back-up batteries in their pockets. Others who are chained to desks have spare chargers with them to make it through a 10-hour day.

All smartphone batteries are leaving a lot to be desired these days, but my time with the Android was spent looking for the nearest outlet.

Also, I really hate touchscreens.
    11-21-11 03:34 AM
    I went from using nothing but various BlackBerry phones as my main device from 2006 until January of last year. On my second line I went through a few Windows Mobile phones, two iPhones, many different Androids, and two Windows Phones. I dropped down to one phone as I no longer needed both, and decided I could do without the BlackBerry. Especially after a few badly timed outages in late '09.

I didn't miss the BlackBerry much until I started seeing the 9900. I switched back. It was amazing for three weeks. I realized how much I missed the keyboard. Phone calling was perfect. I loved the speed.

However, battery life is no better than my new Galaxy S II. No Google+. Gtalk was unreliable. Navigation was not exactly great. The camera was only OK. The extra expense for the hosted BES and the more expensive BES data plan was annoying me. Regardless of the improvements to the browser, it is still pretty pathetic in comparison to what's on the Galaxy S II, the Amaze, iPhone, HD7, and the Sensation. Android, iOS, and Windows Phone all make the best BlackBerry ever a disappointment.

I miss the battery life of the 9700. I miss the keyboard on the 9900. I miss the fantastic speaker phone on those devices.

Yet, I will not be switching back. The Galaxy S II is currently my choice. Just like the 9900 I have an extra battery to make it through a full work day but it is doing much more than the 9900 could.

The really screwed up thing is that I WANT to be using a BlackBerry, even right now, but there is not a single one that is good enough.
    9810. Bigger screen, same processor, better camera (continuously auto focus), and a slightly smaller keyboard. Battery life is well over all day with wifi on 24x7.
    11-21-11 03:53 AM
    I've had a Blackberry for about six years. The iPhone has interested me and I've tried two different Android phones in the past two years. I most recently upgraded to the Blackberry 9850, then after using it for approximately 30 days, the Motorola Photon (Electrify) was released. The Electrify was "the phone" I had actually really been waiting for. To me it was going to be the "big sha-bang."
    Now, after having the Electrify for about a month and a half, I found my self really missing my Blackberry Torch.
    Today I went to the store and replaced my Electrify with the Torch once again.
    Sure, widgets and all those apps. can be a lot of fun, but really I don't use them or need them. I especially do not trust Android's security as I do my banking and approximately 75% of my investments on my phone -on the go.

Good luck with your decision.
    I am sure i got it right when i comes to the security issue...(and the rest)

Nearly All New Mobile Malware In Q3 Targeted At Android Phones.. | SKATEMANSWORLD
    11-21-11 04:00 AM
    Wow. Interesting experiences.

Anyhoo, to begin, I don't think Android OS is "better" than BBOS. That is my humble opinion.

I believe the edge that Android has is based on the ecosystem. That ecosystem allows me to be infinitely more productive on my current device than I ever was on BB.

I'd be lying if I said there were things I didn't miss, but for my needs, what I gained surpasses anything I might have lost.

Malware? I can honestly tell you that I review software (practically for a living now), and I can tell you that more people who are terrified of malware are non-Android users. In all my downloads -- and I have to try out a lot of software -- I have never downloaded malware, and I don't know anyone who has. Any of the old Android users here downloaded malware? Anyone?

Check the source of those articles... let me guess: Symantec? Mcafee? Think about it.

There is nothing that those malware bring that common sense won't cure. Like not downloading apps that have female anatomy as names. Or staying away from "free" apps from unapproved sites. Or cracked apks.

I'm a year in, and as I sad earlier, there are things I miss. Still, it is possible to change if you have an open mind and are able to view other devices without a BB-tipped lens. In the end, I still recommend BBs to friends and family who may benefit from having those devices, and own two BBs currently.

Pick the device that works for you.
    GingerSnapsBack and tack like this.
    11-21-11 07:26 AM
    I had no issues with communication on my Android or iPhone, and I don't believe BB has much of a lead there anymore. My communication experience was great with the Droid. Where I missed BB was in calendar, contacts and other areas of exchange support other than email. The iPhone is very good, and Android good. If you have BES, BB is great. Making calendar items private, categorized, etc is just easier on the BB.

The other platforms get better and better. BB still has its strong points. I have been willing to give up those for the other features and phones that I like better.
    11-21-11 07:33 AM
    I posted a mini blog type thing on one of the forums about this topic and i agree with
    jranciano I also have a great youtube video that explains why BB. Basically if your main function is texting, emailing, facebooking, twittering bb is the way to go. If you want to play games on the phone get an android or keep the bb and get a tablet thats what I did. One main thing That i am missing on my mm9930 is front facing camera but my playbook got myback. I will get a front facing camera bb in the future if it comes out but i had android devices almost all of the high end ones on sprint and i dont get the same justification when i send an email or text.
    11-21-11 08:16 AM
    Would you agree that a lot of people (I daresay most) are quite able to text, email, network socially and manage documents on Android devices? I would actually say, without reservation, that for me, Android blows BB out of the water as a serious business device. The rest (entertainment and such) is just extra.
    11-21-11 08:31 AM
    Had a Motorola Atrix 4G for a while and I can say without a doubt that communication (email, text, Twitter) is a much more pleasant experience on a Blackberry. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are people like trelawrence who enjoy it on Android. I don't think one blows the other out of the water. It is a personal choice and you really have to try it for yourself.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-21-11 05:09 PM
    will be picking up the nexus when that drops and that will probably last me until there is a BBX blackberry on the market or at least close enough that i will wait to see what its like. I have been waiting for it and hearing possible Q3 delays really sucks. the Q1 rumors were much much more exciting.
    11-21-11 05:20 PM
    Had a Motorola Atrix 4G for a while and I can say without a doubt that communication (email, text, Twitter) is a much more pleasant experience on a Blackberry. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are people like trelawrence who enjoy it on Android. I don't think one blows the other out of the water. It is a personal choice and you really have to try it for yourself.
    Agreed... personal preference plays a large role in it...

I even admit that I worked to get the email on my Android to mimic BB's way of handling email. Eventually, I came to appreciate Android's way of doing it (but all my email accounts, even work, are Gmail based).

What I wouldn't do for an Android app that could add an event to email like BB email... LOL
    11-21-11 05:27 PM
    Agreed... personal preference plays a large role in it...

I even admit that I worked to get the email on my Android to mimic BB's way of handling email. Eventually, I came to appreciate Android's way of doing it (but all my email accounts, even work, are Gmail based).

What I wouldn't do for an Android app that could add an event to email like BB email... LOL
    I know what you mean. I worked at getting it right on the Atrix too. It just never felt quite right. The battery always had me anxious and staying near an outlet. That is where the personal preference comes in. Many people are very happy with Android and I am not going to be one of those who knocks someone for the device they choose. If something works for you, that is all that matters.
    11-21-11 06:16 PM
    will be picking up the nexus when that drops and that will probably last me until there is a BBX blackberry on the market or at least close enough that i will wait to see what its like. I have been waiting for it and hearing possible Q3 delays really sucks. the Q1 rumors were much much more exciting.
    I am due an upgrade (love 1-yr contracts). I don't want iPhone, but I am not in a hurry to jump to Samsung. Decisions, decisions...
    11-21-11 07:11 PM

Malware? I can honestly tell you that I review software (practically for a living now), and I can tell you that more people who are terrified of malware are non-Android users. In all my downloads -- and I have to try out a lot of software -- I have never downloaded malware, and I don't know anyone who has. Any of the old Android users here downloaded malware? Anyone?

Check the source of those articles... let me guess: Symantec? Mcafee? Think about it.

There is nothing that those malware bring that common sense won't cure. Like not downloading apps that have female anatomy as names. Or staying away from "free" apps from unapproved sites. Or cracked apks.

I'm a year in, and as I sad earlier, there are things I miss. Still, it is possible to change if you have an open mind and are able to view other devices without a BB-tipped lens. In the end, I still recommend BBs to friends and family who may benefit from having those devices, and own two BBs currently.

Pick the device that works for you.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nGxCl3549Q...r+desktop1.jpg

Of course you could be infested with malware and just not know it. Or you don't yet realize that Google has remotely zapped an app from your phone.
    11-21-11 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD