I have been using wet lysol wipes on both my 9860 and playbook. is this a good idea? I need to disinfect it everyday i get home (i dont like germs!) Thanks!
    02-24-12 11:20 PM
    No ammonia or bleach based products should be used. The ammonia/bleach can actually damage the finish on the screen.
    It's best to use an eyeglasses cleaner, slightly damp cloth or paper towel.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-24-12 11:30 PM
    have try then you get the result.
    i tried for a while, doesnt seem to be any damage so far
    02-24-12 11:41 PM
    I use glasses cleaner. It's not a disinfectant, but cleans pretty good.
    If you have to use a cleaner, maybe something a little greener, like green works, which is all natural ingredients (and smells good).
    02-25-12 12:55 AM
    i tried for a while, doesnt seem to be any damage so far
    The keyword there is "so far". I would think over time this would be overall bad to the phone and screen. Just my opinion.
    02-25-12 01:18 AM
    There is no blanket rule for what ammonium hydroxide will do to 'plastic'. Depending on the formulation used in the plastic, or acrylic, there may or may not be any deterioration. Some modern acrylics contrary to popular belief are pretty resistant to ammonium hydroxide etching, one example is Plexiglas. However if I were not provided the specific plastic used I would have to stay clear of using 'ammonia' for cleaning. Lots of help I am eh!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 03:51 AM
    I need to disinfect it everyday i get home (i dont like germs!) Thanks!
    Is your name Adrian Monk by any chance?
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    02-25-12 04:05 AM
    There is no blanket rule for what ammonium hydroxide will do to 'plastic'. Depending on the formulation used in the plastic, or acrylic, there may or may not be any deterioration. Some modern acrylics contrary to popular belief are pretty resistant to ammonium hydroxide etching, one example is Plexiglas. However if I were not provided the specific plastic used I would have to stay clear of using 'ammonia' for cleaning. Lots of help I am eh!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    There is no plastic in the PB screen; it's Asahi Dragontail glass. Eyeglass cleaner is the only safe way to clean off greasey smudges on any glass electronic device screens; it's cheaper then the over-priced screen cleaners at Best Buy. Windex is marketing their own version of safe electronic screen cleaners, such as the pre-moistened 25 count screen wipes which I bought for $7.00 @ Sam's Club.

Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-25-12 at 05:11 AM.
    02-25-12 05:04 AM
    I wouldn't worry about using Lysol wipes on the playbook. They will leave a film if you do not wipe it dry with another cloth. There is also a Chlorox wipe that is supposed to be good with glass surfaces that I have used.
    02-25-12 07:48 AM
    I get eyeglass wipes for my eyeglasses, then wipe the 9900 after I clean the glasses. Been doing this for 5 years and it works fine. Keeps the keyboard from getting schkeevy too.
    02-25-12 08:45 AM
    I use monster screen cleaner.Put a little on the micro fiber cloth that came with it.But I use a stylus most of the time so I don't touch the screen that often.
    02-25-12 08:51 AM
    Office Depot always has screen wipes on sale. I typically stick to 3M products, but that's just me (I like their individually wrapped wipes). I usually buy the 3M wipes for $4-$6 for a pack of 24. But you can find other brands there that are much cheaper.
    02-25-12 09:03 AM
    I totally understand the OP's cleanliness obsession. Because I am *guilty* of it too.

I have a soft-case for my 9900 that I put on when in clinics that can be easily wiped with alcohol or biotext wipe (Hospital Level Surface Disinfectant). For the screen and keyboard, I just use alcohol/water. Alcohol doesn't really affect real glass.
    02-25-12 10:00 AM
    Got a box of wipes for electronics at staples a year ago, use once a week. Really cheap.
    02-25-12 01:17 PM
    Eyeglass cleaner may not actually disinfect, if that is your major concern and not just to get rid of smudges (depends what's in it). 70% ethanol or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) is the standard. You can get it at any drugstore and is fine for glass and most plastics.
    02-25-12 01:58 PM
    I have been using both Clorox wipes and Lysol wipes (I prefer Lysol) on my iPhone, iPad, kindle and all other devices for YEARS...It does not affect any of the devices or screen protectors. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to cleaning my devices and often clean them several times a day. Again...YEARS of doing this and NEVER EVER an issue.
    05-18-15 11:47 AM
    Is your name Adrian Monk by any chance?
    No, Howie M.

TCB on Z10
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    05-18-15 06:11 PM
    A few germs have never hurt anyone in fact helps build up resistance. I use good old spit and if I have a stain on the glass a good luck with the tongue moistens the stain before wiping with a clean cloth.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    05-18-15 07:08 PM
    A few germs have never hurt anyone in fact helps build up resistance. I use good old spit and if I have a stain on the glass a good luck with the tongue moistens the stain before wiping with a clean cloth.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Robertino BB-Z30
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    05-18-15 07:24 PM
    I use a raw chicken breast.
    Actually I'm not feeling to great.
    05-18-15 08:30 PM
    No, Howie M.

TCB on Z10
    Howie M of Beth Am?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    05-18-15 08:32 PM
    No ammonia or bleach based products should be used. The ammonia/bleach can actually damage the finish on the screen.
    It's best to use an eyeglasses cleaner, slightly damp cloth or paper towel.
    Avoid using paper towel as it can create micro scratches on the screen. Always use a microfiber cloth (or, if you don't have one, a cotton cloth).

I'll also add to the general discussion, that using harsh cleaning products can remove any oleophobic coating on the screen (the oleophobic coating helps prevent your screen from getting oily when you touch it).

Best method is a warm, damp microfiber cloth. A good microfiber cloth can actually remove oil (unlike regular cloths that just push oil around).

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    05-19-15 02:45 AM
    How can you get germs from yourself?
    05-19-15 10:00 AM
    How can you get germs from yourself?
    We are probably not talking about a rational fear.
    05-19-15 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD