01-13-12 06:40 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm a huge tennis fan, and I can't believe how much the current trend in the smartphone market resembles the current pro tennis landscape. The way I see it, they match up like this:
    World No. 1 Novak Djokovic (Android) - Sits at the top of the tennis world after going on a tear last year, dethroning Rafael Nadal at the top and winning three of the four biggest tournaments of the year, in addition to a 43-match win streak from January to May.
    Android dethroned Apple with Samsung and is currently at the top of the smartphone market.
    World No. 2 Rafael Nadal (Apple/iOS) - Began the year as World No. 1 but then lost 6 straight matches to Novak Djokovic across every surface and in two slam finals. Now has to sort-of "catch-up" or his rival will leave him in the dust.
    Apple's iPhone 4S was seen (by some) as a sort-of catch-up device compared to the Android phones, but will try to make a push with the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 this year.
    World No. 3 Roger Federer (RIM/BlackBerry) - The greatest man to ever play tennis (and my favorite athlete of all time), Roger Federer had his worst year since becoming a slam winner, having his first year in which he didn't win a slam title since 2002, and didn't end the year ranked No. 1 or No. 2. The 30-year-old is now no longer a favorite for any Grand Slam tournament and with each tournament loss, the more his greatness comes into question.
    RIM's 2011 was the worst in the company's history. The company that practically invented the smartphone market now has make a huge comeback to stay relevant, according to much of the press.

Anyway, I just thought that was a fun way to connect my two favorite things!

2012 won't be RIM's best year simply because BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook 2.0 needs time to catch-on. However, I don't believe RIM's best years are behind them because that largely depends on the success of BB10. I firmly believe that with time and smart releases, BlackBerry 10 will not only bring RIM back into the competition, it will be a serious threat to Android and iOS.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-13-12 at 04:59 PM.
    01-13-12 04:56 PM
    good point about what i had missed about the 9810 strategy...and me missing the details (as a new smartphone user) makes the point stronger. i didn't "choose" the Torch it just happened to me. if i didn't have this phone in my hand i guess i wouldn't know why it's better than something else, and if i hadn't researched here i guess i wouldn't know why.

yup, the american consumer likes eye-candy and is easily manipulated by fun commercials regardless of the product, so (now) i'll agree that BB needs to self-pimp more aggressively if it wants to interest today's ignorant & impulsive buyer.

civil discussions about hot topics is hard to pull off...good on ya's for a nice forum.
    Last edited by augidog; 01-13-12 at 06:46 PM.
    kraski likes this.
    01-13-12 06:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD