Hi guys,
    I'm glad that this site is in existance. I'm sure that I'll be using it from time to time. I have a quick and probably ridiculous question but I would like to know if it's fact or fiction. I've looked around and haven't read anything, but I've heard it a few times. I've heard that the blackberry has a built in gps and if it gets stolen or lost it can be tracked to the location where it is. I did see something about turning gps on or off, but I wasn't really sure exactly what it was for. My 7250 was stolen (I think) this weekend, and It's a pretty expensive loss because I paid cash for it. I'm not big on the long term plans.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Xmariner; 05-21-07 at 08:11 PM.
    05-21-07 07:29 PM
    Can it be tracked? Quick answer is yes. Will your service provider do it for you? Probably not. From what I've read, GSM carriers do have the ability to triangulate a phones position, however they will only do it by police request, and most (if not all) police departments will not ask them to do that for you. Some departments won't even file a report on a lost/stolen cell phone. Once the phone is gone, unfortunately, you're out of luck unless you have... *ahem*... connections.

Next time you could look at something like this AccuTracking if you think it's worth the cost, though your best bet is just to treat your phone like cash or a credit card, and never let it leave your sight.
    05-21-07 09:23 PM
    There is now a theft recovery software for blackberry that can be used for your purpose. Its name is RobLock and is available at dexmobile.com
    01-29-08 08:19 AM
    There is now a theft recovery software for blackberry that can be used for your purpose. Its name is RobLock and is available at dexmobile.com
    Thanks for the info!!! I'm looking into that right now!
    01-29-08 08:37 AM
    I've been forgetting my phone everywhere. In my car, in the coffee shop, at my friend's place and I always recover it because I'm using BerrySnooper.

BerrySnooper not only allows me to find my lost phone, but if somebody steals your phone and changes the sim, it'll alert me of it's location by sending me text messages and you can actually go catch the thief. Pretty impressive!

You can get this app here.
    Last edited by basitj; 11-21-09 at 04:07 AM.
    11-16-09 06:00 AM
    its uses gps technology to track BB i just found something very useful while i was searching apps for my BB its called tracking the lost stolen BB BerrySnooper didn't remember the exact URL search it if you want it with Berry Snooper hope its popular enough and you will get it ....
    04-05-10 06:03 AM
    Good luck with recovering your device. GPS will not pin point an exact location, it will give you a general location within so many meters or feet.
    04-05-10 06:22 AM
    IF you do it quick enough, I wasn't, maybe Sprint's Family Locator can work. The phone has to be turned on and in service and you should be able to locate your phone plus any other phones you ave access too...there is a free 15 day trial then $5/month after that....

My BB was stolen and on vibrate but when the alarm went off at 6pm it was turned off apparently and maybe tossed...who knows...

but may be worth a shot...
    06-28-10 11:27 PM
    I would suggest this app if you want to wipe a lost or stolen device.
    06-28-10 11:33 PM
    You all know this thread is almost as old as CB itself. . Good advise thou.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 02:45 AM
    first time here (and btw... congrats to this thread... it's #1 on a google search for "report stolen blackberry")

bought a "refurbished" model on ebay. worked fine for one day and then *nothing*. neighbor thought it was loose USB port. shipped it back to seller who says it was dropped (chip in corner etc.). i doubted that but he agreed to send me another with the same "chipped" case. he also thinks refurbishing means fixing cases and perhaps not restoring the entire unit to OEM standard.

what concerns me is that this might be stolen and that the 8320 curve perhaps had some auto shutdown feature. obviously i don't want stolen property (yeah... please don't get on my case for using ebay! i'm broke and my daughter really wanted one for xmas... got this for $92).
    01-19-11 02:56 PM
    first time here (and btw... congrats to this thread... it's #1 on a google search for "report stolen blackberry")

bought a "refurbished" model on ebay. worked fine for one day and then *nothing*. neighbor thought it was loose USB port. shipped it back to seller who says it was dropped (chip in corner etc.). i doubted that but he agreed to send me another with the same "chipped" case. he also thinks refurbishing means fixing cases and perhaps not restoring the entire unit to OEM standard.

what concerns me is that this might be stolen and that the 8320 curve perhaps had some auto shutdown feature. obviously i don't want stolen property (yeah... please don't get on my case for using ebay! i'm broke and my daughter really wanted one for xmas... got this for $92).
    You can't shut them down for good with an app or anything like that. More likely the thing has internal damage, perhaps moisture damage. IF it's reported stolen what happens is the original carrier blocks it from use on it's network, and RIM blocks the PIN, this means you can't use it on the carrier it's branded to and you can't get data from RIM, so no BBM, no push email, and probably no web expect for wifi, and carrier, BUT even that is difficult. Now it, probably is NOT stolen, like I said more likely it sounds like the unit IS damaged either from a fall, or fro moisture. Refurbishing IS restoring the unit to OEM standards, and should include replacing any broken or damaged boards, THAT is what it shoulds like you have here. 92 dollars is a fair price for an older unit like the 8320 it's no great bargin, so you SHOULD get a good working unit for your money.
    01-19-11 03:35 PM
    Thanks to basitj for the berrysnooper info.

01-22-11 03:12 PM
    You would think several companies (smart phones especially) would help clients track down their stolen property using the stolen item's GPS, but many do not.

I would report a stolen blackberry to police, especially if you have the serial number, then on stolen-property. com which is free and easy to use.
    04-26-11 12:01 AM
    If you are worried about losing your BB or it getting stolen there is an app called Blackberry Protect on Appworld. It's pretty slick. You can locate your phone via the website, also lock it with a new password on it from the same website. Also it makes it so you can make a message appear on the screen. There is more it can do too! It's free too!! I have it on my 9700 and I had to use it just a little while after getting it. I located my phone within 2 meters. It worked great!!

04-28-11 06:10 AM
    I think BlackBerry Protect can do all of this as well..

Free app by the way,.

I forgot that you had the 7250.
    ignore this
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 04-28-11 at 08:08 AM.
    04-28-11 07:44 AM
    If you are worried about losing your BB or it getting stolen there is an app called Blackberry Protect on Appworld. It's pretty slick. You can locate your phone via the website, also lock it with a new password on it from the same website. Also it makes it so you can make a message appear on the screen. There is more it can do too! It's free too!! I have it on my 9700 and I had to use it just a little while after getting it. I located my phone within 2 meters. It worked great!!

I just got that app myself. You can even make your phone ring crazy if you misplaced it. I think it will do that if it's turned off as well. Don't forget you can also wipe it from the web site. Excellent.
    04-28-11 08:02 AM
    05-04-11 01:42 PM
    Hey guys,

I don�t know if there�s anything else to do, but my bb was stolen on saturday on a trip to Milan, Italy. I sent pins to it (haha) and it was off but now I got the d check and it says that the contact has just erased me.
    Is there any way to track it? or block it? The details are (don�t know if they are useful or not):
    PIN.21D4BCB1
    imei: 359429033138395
    model: 8520

Thank you
    05-24-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD