Hey fellow crackberryists, pretty beat right now,

I lost my 8320 (wifi) phone about 2 hrs ago at a walmart. I was with my sister and we needed to reach something on the higher shelves so I put my phone in the cart so I could jump and grab it. But soon after, some associates came w a ladder and helped us out, but not before we unsuspecting left our cart unattended.

We walked back later and realized our cart was missing and begrudgingly collected the stuff we wanted to buy again. Then I realized my berry was in the cart but after searching/calling it for an hour we gave up and hoped someone would turn it in.

I called my number about 50 times and the first majority led to a few rings then voicemail, and then just voicemail meaning the phone was FOUND, turned off, and probably with a new user and his sim now. =/

I'm pretty devastated since there are some deeply meaningful texts on it which I haven't backed up from my ex-gf. This isn't a berry thing as it is a sentimental one. Even my unrecoverable photos of a baby cousin of mine who passed from luekemia and a grandmother who passed last week on there. Sigh...this is getting more depressing as I think about it...=T...
    I know of FindIt and GetitBack but who thinks about those programs until their phone finally ends up missing?

Do you guys know of anything I could do or attempt at this point? IMEI, PIN remote access? remote lock? Tracking? I've read some things about remotely tracking or detecting activity from the phone, sim card removal, pin messaging, or whatever... I'm gonna try calling Walmart back in the morning and hope someone turned it in.

Thanks guys
    11-28-08 11:46 PM
    My worst fear. I am SO sorry. I'm constantly misplacing things, so this is one of those "But for the grace of god go I ..."

Have you called T-Mobile and asked if they have any way of blocking or tracing the PIN?
    11-28-08 11:55 PM
    BTW also make sure you track usage online just in case they made a call prior to inserting their own SIM. It's unlikely, but wtf.
    11-28-08 11:56 PM
    You could try to PIN message it and offer a reward and hope someone see's it and calls you back.
    Walmart security can't look at the camera's.
    I suppose you weren't on a BES? Also make sure to call and report it stolen to your carrier so you don't get a huge bill.
    This truly sucks for you and I'm sorry you lost all of your sentimental photo's/texts. Be sure next time to do backups.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 11:56 PM
    First things first. Call your carrier have them look up your PIN and
    IMEI and have them disable your phone so the miscreant that took
    it can't make use of it.

I don't know if there is a way to track it, but it would not hurt to
    ask.

Going forward, use a password and lock your keyboard.
    That will protect the info of your friends and loved ones.
    Regularly copy the contents of your memory card to your PC as
    a means of backup. The SMS I can't help with as I never save
    any of them.

Sorry this happened to you. Do you have insurance? At least
    that will get you a new one.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-28-08 at 11:59 PM.
    11-28-08 11:57 PM
    Man I know how you feel. I'm so sorry that happened. Report it as soon as possible.
    11-28-08 11:59 PM
    1. I want to keep it active so I can still call it and contact the finder. Just for a few more days. I've unltd data/texting so other than dialing MEGA long distance I'll be ok.
    2. I called Tmob and they can suspend the number, but I want this bberry not another bberry you know? They can't track, trace or detect much of anything, and no remote locking. Aren't berries business oriented, how does Tmobile not have this type of security?
    3. I texted that number several times asking to please return and offered a reward as well. Dono if they know how to check messages or whatnot. After tomorrow afternoon I think it's pretty much over. My battery was relatively full so it might last about another day wherever it is.

thx guys
    11-29-08 12:19 AM
    The remote lock thing only works if A) you are on BES or B) have
    installed an app such as GetItBack
    11-29-08 12:23 AM
    That sucks My dad left his Moto Razor on the windshield of my mother's car one day while he was working on his truck. She drove off to the store shopping and by some act of God the phone stayed on the windshield wiper blade and noone took it. Ofcourse Berries are more popular and commonly stolen tan a Razor, but still an unattended car left parked in a busy parkinlot for over an hour you Know God had something to do with it.. FREE PHONE just flashes when you see one laying out like that.

Have you PIN messaged your phone if they swapped SIM cards your number ain't gettin called but the PIN is made in the BB so it never changes?
    11-29-08 12:33 AM
    any way to trace the sucker? google maps does a decent job of it. =/ really would like it back..
    11-29-08 03:14 AM
    First off, I'm sorry that you lost your Curve and all of it's sentimental contents. THAT SUCKS BAD!!!

I don't mean to be too blunt, but I'm pretty sure that whoever found it has probably deleted all of your media and/or re-formatted your micro SD card. I would just count my losses and get an insurance replacement (if your insured).
    11-29-08 08:26 AM
    Sorry to hear about your luck. I know it's the Christmas/holiday season, but I tend to look on the negatives when I hear things like this. I'd personally assume the phone is lost and/or whoever took it knows to wipe the device and sell it for their own gains. If the person or WalMart hasn't contacted you about finding your lost phone by now...

I would say you need to contact your carrier as soon as possible. If the miscreant decided to rack up a bunch of charges since you lost your phone until you called in, the carrier can't be 100% sure that you didn't make those charges. I've been there before (lost a phone) and heard it before as well (in one of my past lives and on various forums). Unless you get a very generous person, the onus is on you to show you didn't rack up any of the calls since you "lost it" and the point you called in.

Aside from the password lock, I hope people start to backup their BBs more often. Really, if you're plugging it into your wall socket, it's not much of a stretch to let your BB charge while being plugged into your USB port as you backup using Desktop Manager. Also, some have suggested putting a message on the face of your BB via the "Owner" option under Setup, so when your phone is locked, your contact name and phone number appear.

I hope your holidays go better
    11-29-08 09:56 AM
    I called the store just now and they are going to review the tapes and see if anyone had made off with my cart.

I'm skeptical but better than nothing I suppose. Its been the first positive step in its recovery.
    11-29-08 06:00 PM
    Well that's cool of them to do. At least now maybe you'll have some kind of answer what happened to it.

11-29-08 06:02 PM
    I called the store just now and they are going to review the tapes and see if anyone had made off with my cart.

I'm skeptical but better than nothing I suppose. Its been the first positive step in its recovery.
    Sorry about the loss of your phone. Not a lot they will be able to do even if they see someone pick up the phone and walk off with it, after the fact. But at least they are making an effort to help.
    11-29-08 06:49 PM
    I had my blackberry stolen last night and hadn't enabled a password on it, now I'm totally freaking out about whoever stole it gaining access to my facebook, 3 email accounts and all sorts. I have never lost a mobile in all the years I've had one and this one is the worst one to have go as it has access to everything. I just want it back or at least to be sure they can't access my emails etc. Is there ANYTHING I can do to make sure they can't access my fb and emails? I've changed all the passwords but can't see how this would help!
    11-29-08 07:20 PM
    CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS! As soon as it was stolen, that's the first thing you should do. If you change your passwords, whoever stole it will have to enter the new passwords for facebook and the e-mail accounts. Honestly, though, I highly doubt they just wanted your information and probably just intend to wipe the berry and resell it.
    11-29-08 07:35 PM
    Yup I think you're right. I changed all my passwords. Been reading a few things on a google search about stolen blackberries and I think the fact the police have my IMEI number and O2 'deactivated sim and handset' means that it should be useless...cross fingers! Thank you
    11-29-08 07:45 PM
    I'm sooo sorry that happened. There is nothing you can do though its just gone. This happened to my best friend last weekend from out of town. Anyway we were out at a club in VIP and she had the phone in her pocket while dancing and then it was on the table next to her drink (which you figure would be safe since nobody was in VIP but me, our other two friends, my boyfriend, his roommate, and one other person I know). She had to get a new berry and shut off her phone but apparently whoever took it used it for about 3 hrs and was giving her number out to people saying this is her new phone number. I think it was one of the girls who works there who stole it but she claims it wasn't her but she has the same name as the person people have been calling my friend asking for and it isn't a common name at all. anyway good luck hopefully you can get a new phone.
    11-29-08 09:10 PM
    OP - as for the texts, can TMO print them out? i know other carriers can do the 'detailed billing' thing

good luck and so sorry

any progress?
    11-29-08 09:20 PM
    I'm sooo sorry that happened. There is nothing you can do though its just gone. This happened to my best friend last weekend from out of town. Anyway we were out at a club in VIP and she had the phone in her pocket while dancing and then it was on the table next to her drink (which you figure would be safe since nobody was in VIP but me, our other two friends, my boyfriend, his roommate, and one other person I know). She had to get a new berry and shut off her phone but apparently whoever took it used it for about 3 hrs and was giving her number out to people saying this is her new phone number. I think it was one of the girls who works there who stole it but she claims it wasn't her but she has the same name as the person people have been calling my friend asking for and it isn't a common name at all. anyway good luck hopefully you can get a new phone.

Uhh ... TMI????
    11-29-08 09:31 PM
    Uhh ... TMI????
    y do u have such an attitude???? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    11-29-08 09:35 PM
    y do u have such an attitude???? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I'll have to admit it's a pretty entertaining story
    11-29-08 09:44 PM
    I described the situation to the loss prevention guys and they reviewed the tape.

They told me that they saw a lady walk off with my cart not FIVE seconds of me turning around and heading back to where the cart should've been. So she and I passed each other and I didn't even know it. Then she proceeded to take the contents out and leave them on a pile of other things, sans blackberry. That was 10 feet from where I was standing wondering where our cart went.

They told me they couldn't tail her because there weren't enough camera angles in the store and there are blindspots that would make following hard if not impossible. My case wasn't serious enough to warrant such effort I suppose. I asked if they could keep an eye out for when she checks out and if she used a credit card to track her information. But that method requires police intervention and would invade privacy as you can understand. I'm still bummed..

Anyway, i filed a police report. Im gonna try calling WM again in the morning one last time, and tmobile to see if they can do anything else to trace the IMEI or PIN and maybe push things with the police report.

Thanks guys
    11-30-08 04:10 AM
    From what I've heard PIN cannot be traced. So maybe don't get your hopes up with PIN. But I could be wrong. I don't really know how PIN works lol

11-30-08 12:05 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD