Found a lost BlackBerry Curve 3G. In BB's infinite wisdom they block good samaritans, like myself, from viewing basic information about the owner of the phone.. this prevents us from being able to return the phone to its owner!

All I'm looking for is the owner's name to look up in the phone book.

If BB were -really- smart, they would give users the ability to enter the MEID number and it would provide an email format to notify the owner (if the owner elected to submit an email for such convenient circumstances).

Are there ANY methods of locating the correct owner, or are they intentionally screwed?
    Last edited by TempUser2356; 01-11-11 at 11:33 PM.
    01-11-11 10:57 PM
    If you call carriers, sometimes with the MEID they can find the person.
    OR. You can back it up, decode it. Call a random contact and ask if they know someone who has the phone or lost it.

Is it locked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 11:08 PM
    Contact the carrier, they should be able to track down the owner in short order.

And the owner apparently didn't add their info to the owner screen to show while the device is locked.

01-11-11 11:11 PM
    We would like to thank you in behalf for the owner. You are an indication that the world isn't crap yet.

01-11-11 11:13 PM
    Great to hear you want to return it.

Take it to the carrier. They can retrieve information about the BB that is under the battery. From there they will be able to locate the pin from their records and contact the owner.
    01-12-11 07:17 AM
    hi Temp-glad to hear you want to do the right thing! Hopefully you be in contact with the owner soon and make their day! they'll be one happy camper to have their berry returned!

01-12-11 08:05 AM
    AT&T's policy for found phones:

Call customer support, state that you found a phone and want to take it to a company store for the owner. The CSR will direct you to a company owned store location, and the manager of that store will contact the owner of the phone.

You will have no contact with the original owner, for security reasons.

Your karma will increase in a positive fashion. Be warned that positive karma has no value in the 21st century beyond sentimental value.
    01-12-11 12:25 PM
    I just finished speaking with Metro PCS (A pain in the *** to get a live person.. I tried 8 times before finally looking up the secret on Google.. you need to hit # four times and then 1 when it prompts you, and when you do that all the instructions to follow are in Spanish)..

They basically told me that without the phone's password (which, if I had that I wouldnt need to contact THEM) they are unable to locate the owner... Seriously, who the **** designed THAT system?

I'm thinking about posting "FOUND BLACKBERRY" signs around State St in Boston at this point.. I already put an ad out on Craigslist Monday when I found it, but sadly no responses.

I'll try the Metro store on Mass Ave tomorrow, maybe they will have better luck. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    01-12-11 08:20 PM
    I just finished speaking with Metro PCS (A pain in the *** to get a live person.. I tried 8 times before finally looking up the secret on Google.. you need to hit # four times and then 1 when it prompts you, and when you do that all the instructions to follow are in Spanish)..

They basically told me that without the phone's password (which, if I had that I wouldnt need to contact THEM) they are unable to locate the owner... Seriously, who the **** designed THAT system?

I'm thinking about posting "FOUND BLACKBERRY" signs around State St in Boston at this point.. I already put an ad out on Craigslist Monday when I found it, but sadly no responses.

I'll try the Metro store on Mass Ave tomorrow, maybe they will have better luck. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    wow, that sucks. Perhaps you will have better luck checking out the Metro shop and actually being face to face with a rep. Also posting the signs like you said where you found the bb may help also. I hope this works out!
    01-12-11 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD