hello all i have only had my berry for about 2 weeks but today i seem have have lost my e-mail ,bbm,and sms icons,i also have this error message when the phone comes on

uncaught exception:java.lang.nullpointerexception

any help would be much appreciated

05-19-09 02:55 PM
    I got the same error message on my 8530 and read that I should reinstall the os. I tried battery pull and that did not work. the way I fixed it was to wipe the device using the phone itself. I did not select to clear apps or mem card. then I restored setting from backup using device manager and it seems to be working fine now.

good luck
    01-11-10 02:41 AM
    to fix it you need to wipe your bb.. i have the same problem AND i cannot receive any sms or mms.. AND my comp just died for good.. so im screwed... good luck with yours though
    01-14-10 03:12 PM
    i have this problem but the message is stuck on my phone, i cannot get past it to wipe it, any help ?
    01-19-10 07:50 AM
    how do you wipe it? My wife's phone is doing this now.
    Also how do you re-install the OS?

It's a BB 8530 on Sprint.
    01-24-10 03:26 PM
    how do you wipe it? My wife's phone is doing this now.
    Options/Security Options/General Settings/menu (bb button)/Wipe Handheld

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 03:50 PM
    Would it be options>security options>security wipe. ? (OS 5.0)

Then select Emails, contacts, etc. as well as User installed applications ?

After that we will have to restore the info from desktop manager, but shouldn't have to call Sprint to get the phone activated right?

01-24-10 04:29 PM
    I have the same problem but I have the message concerning my CALL LOGS. They don't update and I cannot delete them. What should I do? My BB is curve 8900
    02-13-10 05:16 PM

How can I get past the uncaught exception screen, my phone is completely frozen, I cant even get to the options screen!
    03-13-10 08:55 AM
    Use BBSAK 1.9. It will recognize and connect to your device irregardless of this error message. Ensure that you have the OS that you want to reinstall loaded onto to your pc and then hit wipe device. When you are at a point where you have a plain white screen with 507 error on it you are back in business. Then you will want to hit the load OS button and follow the screen prompts. I hope this helps.
    03-30-11 10:10 AM
    The wipe fixes the problem, then when I restore my sms messages, phonebook, call log, and a few other things, like calendar and whatnot, nothing else... it works. BUT, when I restart my phone I get the error again! I suppose this means my backup file was when the phone had this error, I don't know how to get my phonebook and old sms's and calendar restored without getting this error again...any help?
    04-01-11 10:32 AM
    if i post my log here, can someone identify what's causing the problem?
    04-02-11 03:25 PM

Reboot your phone and hold the Escape key (next to the red button) down during the boot cycle. This will bring the phone up in Safe Mode. The boot in this case will be with only the base apps from RIM loaded.

This will almost certainly make the problem go away. If it does, then the problem lies with an installed app. Uninstall these one at a time until a normal boot does not show the error.

If the problem does not go away in Safe Mode, then the best thing to do is to return your phone to your carrier and have it repaired under warranty.

It is possible that reloading the OS will fix the problem but why do this when you have paid for a guarantee when you bought the phone.

A security wipe will do one of two things depending on which wipe option you choose.
    1). it will wipe all of your personal data and it will be lost unles you have a recent backup.

2). it will do what I said in 1). and will also erase all your installed 3rd party apps.

My method above does not lose your data.
    04-02-11 03:55 PM
    Okay I think I might have figured out why I get the error. Booting in safe mode showed that my third party apps have nothing to do with the error.

This is what my event log shows about this error.
    Name: NullPointerException
    GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
    Time: Apr 03, 2011 09:03:31
    No detail message

Yeap, no idea what any of that means.

04-03-11 08:12 AM