Hi all, I lost my BB Bold 9650 (Verizon) last night somewhere between work and home. I checked multiple times in the parking lot and the surrounding areas to see if I spotted it, but I think the phone is long gone. I kept calling my cell from another phone, but it was ringing and went to voicemail. Around 1am last night, the calls were going straight to voicemail. I stopped at Verizon today and told them to suspend my phone, but what does suspending a phone entail?

If someone does find the phone, will they still be able to turn it on and will they be able to see my email accounts, contacts, etc.? I know it was foolish of me to not password protect the phone, and I am clearly paying the price now. Will I be able to retain the same number when I get a new BB? I checked the VZW website, and the Bold 9650 is no longer available. Also, will I be paying full price for a new phone? I've never lost my phone before, so I'm not sure how to go about this process.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.
    Last edited by starscollide; 11-05-11 at 02:52 PM.
    11-05-11 02:49 PM
    If you reported the phone as lost/stolen the phone will no longer work on VZW. The ESN becomes blacklisted. They possibly could flash it to the likes of cricket to revol maybe.

Did you password protect the phone?

Claim insurance through Assurion you will pay a deductible but it's a lot cheaper than retail.

Maybe check your local Craigslist but make sure they give you the ESN so you can call VZW to see if you can activate the phone.

Good luck.
    11-05-11 03:15 PM
    The PIN will be blacklisted, so nobody will be able to activate it on BIS. Even if flashed to some other carrier, it will only be capable of voice/SMS, not data.

How far into your contract you were will determine if you will be able to get a new device at a discount price. You would need to contact VZW.

In the future, if you use BlackBerry Protect, you can wipe the device if you lose it.
    11-05-11 03:20 PM
    At my place of work, someone stole 2 BB's from a guys locker. Why he would need 2 BB's is beyond me? But he just phoned Telus, and suspended all services. They told him whoever would steal a BB would never be able to use it properly. No NOC service at all!
    11-05-11 04:20 PM
    Thank you for responding. The phone isn't available through Verizon anymore, both online and in-store (I made a few calls). I guess my best bet is to get one off eBay until I am eligible for my upgrade.

So, even if someone did get a hold of the phone, they wouldn't be able to use it with Verizon or ANY other carrier? My Verizon BB email and other accounts on the phone would be visible, yes? This is what worries me most, along with my media card.
    11-05-11 10:48 PM
    Have you used blackberry protect or remember installing it? If you have, you won't have to go through all this junk

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 10:53 PM
    ichat - I, foolishly, did not install the BlackBerry Protect app

Does anyone know if I will be able to keep the same phone number, if and when, I get a new phone?
    Last edited by starscollide; 11-05-11 at 11:36 PM.
    11-05-11 11:07 PM
    ichat - I, foolishly, did not install the BlackBerry Protect app

Does anyone know if I will be able to keep the same phone number, if and when, I get a new phone?
    You should be able to because I believe your carrier is CDMA. Am I correct? If its a SIM carrier then it'll be a bit harder but you can get your number back. Both ways you should be able to

11-06-11 01:40 AM
    thanks for sharing....
    wow the OP learnt SOOOO much about his issue from your amazing post

11-06-11 05:28 AM
    Lost mine on a hunt the other day. Bb protect showed me the gps location, let me lock it, and turned on a loud tone to help me find it. That's the best app I have. My droid and i colleagues are jealous.
    11-06-11 08:41 AM
    Lost mine on a hunt the other day. Bb protect showed me the gps location, let me lock it, and turned on a loud tone to help me find it. That's the best app I have. My droid and i colleagues are jealous.
    Jealous of what? Finnd my iPhone does the same and I can remotely wipe if necessary.

Just saying

Glad you found your phone though.
    11-06-11 11:30 AM
    ichat - Yes, I have Verizon which is CDMA. I'm sure my lost BB's battery is dead by now, but it's worrisome that my email accounts, BBM contacts, etc. are all on the phone and easily accessible, should someone be able to charge up the phone. Is my blackberry.net email account gone forever?

Sorry for all the questions everyone. This has never happened to me, so I'm confused on what happens from hereon out. I do appreciate the help.
    Last edited by starscollide; 11-06-11 at 01:54 PM.
    11-06-11 01:21 PM
    If you didn't set a device password, then yes, all of your data (email, BBM, contacts, pictures, etc) on the device is viewable by anyone who finds it.

You should change the password on all of your email address that are associated with the device.

Your blackberry.net email account is associated with you not with the device.
    11-06-11 02:31 PM
    SwitchBeach - Thanks for the response. I just changed all my passwords. Thank you for the suggestion. I can't remember my blackberry.net password. Is there a way to delete that email account for now? Even if someone wanted to use my phone, they wouldn't be able to, correct?
    11-06-11 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD