What kind of damage did you do, and it may be possible to repair said damage to make the wait a lil' easier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Water damage.

I can't believe the phone is still working. It fell in water... I stared in shock... pulled it out and immediately pulled battery.

I took it apart, and placed the parts on my floor heat register for 2 days.

I was shocked when it booted up. Everything and I mean everything worked like normal except the ability to write to the SD card. I tried different cards, but the problem is in the device hardware.

Besides that; the camera app will crash occasionally. My "b" key will double hit sometimes. Just weird stuff like that. Nothing major... just naggers that I can tolerate for now.
    07-09-11 08:59 PM
    You fared better than one of the VIP's at my job. She left her sunroof open one night and woke up to a 9700 sitting in half an inch of water. I had her send it back to me after she got her replacement and it was very DOA. I took it apart just to see and there were rust stains on all the RF shields on the circuit board and scorched components and contacts at the display connector.

As for losing patience, I come pretty close to loosing it with my Torch on a near daily basis. Half the time I touch the screen to open something or select a button in response to a prompt it doesn't repsond. I have to either tap the screen several times or switch to a hardware button. I'm going to upgrade to the new OS and see if that helps, but there's just no excuse for releasing something that half baked.
    07-09-11 09:39 PM
    First off, the specs on the iPhone4 and the Torch in screen resolution clearly favors the iPhone4, but one has a 3.5'' screen and one has a 3.2'' screen, really unless I zoom in like the Apple commercial tells me to, its very difficult to see any noticeable difference.

I agree with the point made on cameras, I hardly ever use a real camera any more, but thats not what I meant by the post. Its that comparing camera specs on smartphones is sorta like picking the best looking nun at the convent. If you are serious about photography, you will not be using a camera phone, but most casual users, such as most people including myself, just want the picture to be clear enough and easy to tag to social media sites if wanted. All the major phones can do this.

As for being behind the tech game at the launch of a BB product, I don't see it that way. You sign a contract for 2-3 years, you have the proper tech working in the proper OS, not some experiment that cannot sustain a charge for a day but was slightly ahead of the curve when it launched.

So you would rather have the experiment that will give you 2-3 years of heartache with a buggy OS, weak battery life, and will just take a few more months to be outdated or just go with the phone that does everything fairly well, with a good UI, strong battery, but doesn't push the envelope on anything?

Like I said before, even with all the new tech, what big breakthroughs have we seen in recent years? Flash sites that don't properly fit a phone screen? Video conferencing when the moons align properly and you and the other party are actively using the app? Ummm... hello, I hardly used Skype, when am I am gonna use video conferencing on a phone? Probably once, to test the gimmick, then move on...

There hasn't been a big breakthrough in phone tech even with all these battery draining experiments in quite some time. I will stick to my BB Torch, which works great and does everything I want on my smartphone...
    07-10-11 08:52 AM
    First off, the specs on the iPhone4 and the Torch in screen resolution clearly favors the iPhone4, but one has a 3.5'' screen and one has a 3.2'' screen, really unless I zoom in like the Apple commercial tells me to, its very difficult to see any noticeable difference.

I agree with the point made on cameras, I hardly ever use a real camera any more, but thats not what I meant by the post. Its that comparing camera specs on smartphones is sorta like picking the best looking nun at the convent. If you are serious about photography, you will not be using a camera phone, but most casual users, such as most people including myself, just want the picture to be clear enough and easy to tag to social media sites if wanted. All the major phones can do this.
    Again, I had a Torch and iPhone 4, and I can absolutely, positively tell you there is a HUGE difference in screen resolution. When I would browse or read anything on the Torch, there were often times where I could not decipher text unless I zoomed in, meaning the resolution was so bad that un-zoomed text was jumbled to the point of indistinguishable letters and words. Also, about screen size in reference to pixel count, the .3" does make somewhat of a difference, but the smaller screen - the Torch in this case - benefits because there is less screen the pixels have to account for. Granted, the iPhone 4 still has the clearest, most crisp screen of any phone even today.

Not to be argumentative here, but the original point you tried to make about phone cameras trivialized their importance by pointing out how much better digital cameras were.
    07-10-11 11:51 AM
    Some people here are really dishonest w themselves. Do you watch TV on a 13 inch black and white screen? Yeah it gets the job done right? I don't need color or a larger screen, digital channels. I have a storm 2 and it "does what it supposed to" I'm a very happy owner. I'm due to upgrade right now and there's nothing from BB to upgrade to. I like the look of the new Monaco but its gonna be basically what I have right now w no more to show than my S2. It will still have the same tired apps and very likely lackluster browsing experience. I can deal w battery life lasting six to eight hours. My storm w any consistent use only gets that now. Its not hard to charge a phone anyway. Like posted above it is frustrating to wait for what may just amount to lipstick on a pig. I want a phone that that is easy to use has a ffc. (not just for the skype ability, it would be nice to snap a picture of yourself and someone else and be able to frame it properly!!) I would expect any manufacture of any tech or any industry would evolve their products and make each "upgrade" just that. An upgrade! Anyways I'm gonna end this little rant. I haven't posted on CB for a bit and I apologize that this is what I am posting. I do love my storm2 but is so bad to want something even better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 12:15 PM
    I for one can tell the differences in screen resolution and I can also tell when a phone is using the same screen resolution as the phone I have now that's 2/3 years old. And that's not really something I would be anxious to upgrade too.

I can also tell when a phones design looks like, or basically is, the same as a phone I have/had 2/3 years ago. Sure it may work and may have been the best design ever, but come time to upgrade, I tend to look for something new/fresh.

And sure all those duel-core super NASA powered processors aren't necessary, but they sure are nice when your phone doesn't slow down as much, or your apps, programs, email, etc... loads quicker. Call me impatient, but I just like things, in most cases, that work faster with less lag.

Battery life is bad on some phones yes, and some phones may only last 8,10, or 12 hours a day. For me, that's not an issue because I don't leave in the morning with the thought that I will not have any way to power my phone until I get home. I know not everyone has that option, but some people are happy with a phone that lasts, maybe 8 - 12 hours. I personally will take a 8 -12 hour battery for an improved phone/tech. Maybe that's just me though. But 4, 5,or 6 hour battery life? Heck no. I'll pass.

Basically, when I upgrade(usually 18 -24 months), I want to upgrade, not just get the latest phone and find out it's basically the one I currently have, but it just a little better at this, marginally better at that, while exactly the same at this. and I'll be honest, I certainly hate buying something that's supposed to be brand new and finding out that everything under the hood is either outdated, underpowered, obsolete, or not enough, because, I plan on using it for 18 - 24 months. I think, after a year and a half or more, we should definitely see some improvements when we upgrade.

Just my opinion/$0.02
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 07-10-11 at 02:29 PM.
    07-10-11 02:19 PM
    However, I must say I am losing patience. I have been waiting for the Torch2 to release for a long time. I know it's right around the corner but how much longer? When the T2 specs were released they were decent but in today's comparisons I don't know with it will be up to par.
    Comparison to what? These new dual core phones? Does what's under the hood matter more than how fast the car will go? Sure there are cars out there with plenty of power from V8's, but they are heavier and handle like shiz. Other cars weigh lest and get more HP per liter and handle better. The videos of the new phones running OS7 look awesome. Yes they are late and I too am tired waiting, but I think that specs alone don't tell you the performance of a device, just whats under the hood.
    07-10-11 02:30 PM
    To the poster with the Storm2, I have to say I have never been a fan of the Storm models, to me they are wannabe iPhones with all the same weaknesses, shytty battery no QWERTY keyboard, and smudged screens. Also the iPhone does the touch screen slab model phone better, plain and simple. I would get an iPhone, EVO, etc. over a Storm model.

Next point, these guys saying they care about whats under the hood? No one has named a single big breakthrough these newer phones can do that phones made in the last 2-3 years cannot do. All they do is browse a bit faster... thats it!

As for the iPhone4 vs. Torch screen resolution, sorry, unless I zoom in, like the Apple commercials tell me to to see how clear a giant "a" is, I cannot see any noticeable difference. Viewing sites in their standard appearance seeing and reading text is all the same to me on little screens. I will say Ereaders like the Kindle have noticeably clearer looking text, even in sunlight it can be seen well, smartphones, the differences are only seen if you zoom in and none look too good in bright sunlight.

As for the camera point, again I luv being able to take pix on my Torch and tag it to Facebook. Is it the best picture quality out there? Nope. But does it still take a pretty good picture in well lit conditions, oh yes! iPhone4 takes a slightly better pic, but marginal difference. Its like saying that nun is prettier than that nun. Then look at real camera, and its a supermodel, so what difference does it make? None, except to people that are insecure about phone specs, I dunno? Both have 5MP cameras, so the difference really isn't that noticeable to me, unless I look really carefully.

I will never understand this obsession with the tech wars of phones specs I keep reading and hearing about with smartphone users. Its as if they are insecure about buying a phone unless it pushes the envelope on specs, without asking the question, does the phone work well for what I will primarily be using it for?

I luv my Torch, has the the full QWERTY keyboard and trackpad combo, so I don't have to constantly smudge the touchscreen, great form factor. Great battery. Has all the meat and potato apps I could want, with the possible exception of Angry Birds. Allows me to BBM, text, email, message in a breeze. Great notification process. Actually browses the web really well minus the flash sites.

I have another year with this phone so my contract is not up, not exactly "sick of waiting" when my contract won't be up for quite some time...
    07-10-11 04:25 PM
    I for one can tell the differences in screen resolution and I can also tell when a phone is using the same screen resolution as the phone I have now that's 2/3 years old. And that's not really something I would be anxious to upgrade too.

I can also tell when a phones design looks like, or basically is, the same as a phone I have/had 2/3 years ago. Sure it may work and may have been the best design ever, but come time to upgrade, I tend to look for something new/fresh.

And sure all those duel-core super NASA powered processors aren't necessary, but they sure are nice when your phone doesn't slow down as much, or your apps, programs, email, etc... loads quicker. Call me impatient, but I just like things, in most cases, that work faster with less lag.

Battery life is bad on some phones yes, and some phones may only last 8,10, or 12 hours a day. For me, that's not an issue because I don't leave in the morning with the thought that I will not have any way to power my phone until I get home. I know not everyone has that option, but some people are happy with a phone that lasts, maybe 8 - 12 hours. I personally will take a 8 -12 hour battery for an improved phone/tech. Maybe that's just me though. But 4, 5,or 6 hour battery life? Heck no. I'll pass.

Basically, when I upgrade(usually 18 -24 months), I want to upgrade, not just get the latest phone and find out it's basically the one I currently have, but it just a little better at this, marginally better at that, while exactly the same at this. and I'll be honest, I certainly hate buying something that's supposed to be brand new and finding out that everything under the hood is either outdated, underpowered, obsolete, or not enough, because, I plan on using it for 18 - 24 months. I think, after a year and a half or more, we should definitely see some improvements when we upgrade.

Just my opinion/$0.02
    OK, you may be in the minority since many people stick to similar designs and form factors when buying new phones. Apple has managed to sell the identical form factor 5 years straight at record sales levels with slight upgrades every year. Its true the iPhone4 is a much improved phone over the original iPhone, but its hardly an improvement at all over the 3GS, it might actually be worse since they have had those antenna problems on the thinner model.

As for things being "brand new", thats nice and everything, but it seems like many users are guinea pigs for manufacturers of Android based phones. Many just don't run the OS as well as "underpowered" phones. Also the battery life sux on most Android based phones out there.

When my contract is up, I hope the QNX BB's are available and I would absolutely love a similar form factor to the current Torch 9800 with the unbeatable design of trackpad/touchscreen and slide out QWERTY keyboard. Its similar to the Palm Pre before it, but I think the Torch nailed it down better.

I am not amped for the OS7 Torch with no QWERTY keyboard? WTF?
    07-10-11 04:36 PM
    To the poster with the Storm2, I have to say I have never been a fan of the Storm models, to me they are wannabe iPhones with all the same weaknesses, shytty battery no QWERTY keyboard, and smudged screens. Also the iPhone does the touch screen slab model phone better, plain and simple. I would get an iPhone, EVO, etc. over a Storm model.

Next point, these guys saying they care about whats under the hood? No one has named a single big breakthrough these newer phones can do that phones made in the last 2-3 years cannot do. All they do is browse a bit faster... thats it!

As for the iPhone4 vs. Torch screen resolution, sorry, unless I zoom in, like the Apple commercials tell me to to see how clear a giant "a" is, I cannot see any noticeable difference. Viewing sites in their standard appearance seeing and reading text is all the same to me on little screens. I will say Ereaders like the Kindle have noticeably clearer looking text, even in sunlight it can be seen well, smartphones, the differences are only seen if you zoom in and none look too good in bright sunlight.

As for the camera point, again I luv being able to take pix on my Torch and tag it to Facebook. Is it the best picture quality out there? Nope. But does it still take a pretty good picture in well lit conditions, oh yes! iPhone4 takes a slightly better pic, but marginal difference. Its like saying that nun is prettier than that nun. Then look at real camera, and its a supermodel, so what difference does it make? None, except to people that are insecure about phone specs, I dunno? Both have 5MP cameras, so the difference really isn't that noticeable to me, unless I look really carefully.

I will never understand this obsession with the tech wars of phones specs I keep reading and hearing about with smartphone users. Its as if they are insecure about buying a phone unless it pushes the envelope on specs, without asking the question, does the phone work well for what I will primarily be using it for?

I luv my Torch, has the the full QWERTY keyboard and trackpad combo, so I don't have to constantly smudge the touchscreen, great form factor. Great battery. Has all the meat and potato apps I could want, with the possible exception of Angry Birds. Allows me to BBM, text, email, message in a breeze. Great notification process. Actually browses the web really well minus the flash sites.

I have another year with this phone so my contract is not up, not exactly "sick of waiting" when my contract won't be up for quite some time...
    Here are a few

wifi hotspot
    3D pictures and camera
    LTE/4G
    07-10-11 04:50 PM

You don't have to have a breakthrough for every single improvement. Progress in making phones, and anything for that matter, is made marginally more than it is monumentally.

I'm actually currently viewing this site on my iPhone 4 without zooming in and the letters read perfectly clear, although a tad small. I could never have done that on my Torch, even the Yahoo Mobile homepage had to be zoomed in on sometimes, let alone a forum that doesn't have a mobile version of its site. There are a lot of sites in which there are Torch vs. iP4 camera comparison if you need help seeing the difference. I understand you say you don't see a difference, but I might also suggest you get your eyes checked.

...[iPhone 4 is] hardly an improvement at all over the 3GS, it might actually be worse since they have had those antenna problems on the thinner model.
    I went from 3GS to 4 and the improvements are absurd, believe me; battery life is 1.5 times better at least, camera and video are much improved, processor is a highly noticeable difference, aesthetically the 4 looks lightyears better. I could go on, however, to do so would be pointless but to say the 4 is possibly worse than the 3GS is flat out ridiculous. The 'antennae issue' is thoroughly beaten to death - usually as a scapegoat when debating phones - and blown out of proportion(unless you're a clammy left-handed giant with a death grip).
    07-10-11 07:38 PM
    I think some of us are being purposely blind...possible on both sides of this discussion.

The iPhone4 Screen vs Torch Screen is a very noticeable difference. Lets not act like we dont see it. The difference in the Large-screen-more-pixels 9000 and the small-screen-less-pixel 85xx/93xx is noticeable and several individuals in these very forums (blackberry touters) have said so. And teh gap from Torch>iPhone is way larger than the gap from 9300>9000:

Torch 360x480 pixels vs iP4 640x960 pixels
    Curve 320x240 vs Bold 480x320

Next-----> the iPhone3G>3GS was the only transition where there wasnt a very appreciable upgrade between devices. And the speed increase that the 3GS brought was still regarded as a worthwhile improvement. Also the antenna problem lasted for maybe the first month of sales. And as someone who owned OGiPhone and 3GS and with alot of experience with iPhone4 (never owned) ican say that the 4 is a pretty big improvement over the 3GS. I think some of us are commenting on devices without ever trying them.

Browser----> the OS6 stock browser is light years better than anything BB has put out but its not giving Apple a run for its money. A year ago it could have given the stock Android browser some sleepless nights but these days it has also been improved.

Experiment???-----> i assume this one goes straight at Android. But honestly, were the original Curve and Pearl not huge experiments. Were the original adopters of those not guinea pigs for trackballs and SureType??? YES I would rather have a two year contract with a device I can look forward to being the best for at least 2-5 weeks ( it really is comical how quickly the best gets bested in Android-land) and will still be relevant for at least the first year rather than one that I know for certain will be unsupported in about a month after purchase and was obsoleted before it was built.

That said, I really wish RIM would find a way to make the 9900 upgradeable to QNX. IMO its stupid to even release it now. I mean if it takes til April instead of August/September its not like the diehards are gonna feel the extra few months is THAT long right?
    07-10-11 09:58 PM
    Here are a few

wifi hotspot
    3D pictures and camera
    LTE/4G
    Ummm... while the wifi hotspot is a cool feature I do not know of any BB having at the moment, I also know here in the States where I live, the carrier rips you off for using the feature with an additional monthly fee, every month!!! So while it could (and should) be a godsend, its really not. Not so much due to the phone's tech, but due to corporate greed. Although many "rooted" Android phones and "jailbroken" iPhone4's can circumvent the fees, which is a great feature.

But have you ever heard of the Tether app on both BB's and Androids? Its another way to circumvent carrier greed by allowing tethering of data to laptops/desktops without screwing around with your phone. I know tethering to one device is not as cool as wifi hotspot which can share data with multiple devices, but the technology of data sharing is not something BB's cannot do completely, just can't do it as well as of now.

3D pictures and video! LOL Have you seen this gimmick yet? Its the Reebok Pumps of smartphones! Bad analogy, I am old, I remember the gimmick of pumping air on your shoe that did nothing in the 1980's. Nevermind... I have seen a coworker's EVO 3D. Of course I wanted to see this feature in action. You know what it looked like? A hologram baseball card, nothing more. So its "Look everybody! I can turn my pix into a hologram baseball card!" Pretty lame. The background and objects just make a one frame shift, its soooo lame! Are you really counting that one or you were throwing that in as a goof???

As for LTE/4g... once again impractical tech specs. No one has figured out a way to make the batteries run efficiently and many areas still don't get 4G and some carriers also don't have the option. Still experimental, not there yet...

Sorry, no big breakthroughs there...
    07-10-11 10:14 PM
    I think some of us are being purposely blind...possible on both sides of this discussion.

The iPhone4 Screen vs Torch Screen is a very noticeable difference. Lets not act like we dont see it. The difference in the Large-screen-more-pixels 9000 and the small-screen-less-pixel 85xx/93xx is noticeable and several individuals in these very forums (blackberry touters) have said so. And teh gap from Torch>iPhone is way larger than the gap from 9300>9000:

Torch 360x480 pixels vs iP4 640x960 pixels
    Curve 320x240 vs Bold 480x320

Next-----> the iPhone3G>3GS was the only transition where there wasnt a very appreciable upgrade between devices. And the speed increase that the 3GS brought was still regarded as a worthwhile improvement. Also the antenna problem lasted for maybe the first month of sales. And as someone who owned OGiPhone and 3GS and with alot of experience with iPhone4 (never owned) ican say that the 4 is a pretty big improvement over the 3GS. I think some of us are commenting on devices without ever trying them.

Browser----> the OS6 stock browser is light years better than anything BB has put out but its not giving Apple a run for its money. A year ago it could have given the stock Android browser some sleepless nights but these days it has also been improved.

Experiment???-----> i assume this one goes straight at Android. But honestly, were the original Curve and Pearl not huge experiments. Were the original adopters of those not guinea pigs for trackballs and SureType??? YES I would rather have a two year contract with a device I can look forward to being the best for at least 2-5 weeks ( it really is comical how quickly the best gets bested in Android-land) and will still be relevant for at least the first year rather than one that I know for certain will be unsupported in about a month after purchase and was obsoleted before it was built.

That said, I really wish RIM would find a way to make the 9900 upgradeable to QNX. IMO its stupid to even release it now. I mean if it takes til April instead of August/September its not like the diehards are gonna feel the extra few months is THAT long right?
    You are being suckered by tech specs. Is there honestly a huge difference on 3'' phone screens? Who are you trying to kid? Do you honestly use the Kindle app on your smartphone? All smartphones, you read stuff on sites, all modern smartphones look very clear and readable! You sound like an Apple commercial.

Next, the iPhone 3GS is a better PHONE than the iPhone4, I think everyone knows that to be true. There was no "antenna-gate" or offers of free pieces of rubber/plastic to hold the phone together or suggesting you use tape on the 3GS. No grip of death. I don't own either, but members of my immediately family do. The phone part, 3GS is actually better, the very slight upgrades in features the iPhone4 is better. I put the priority on actually making phone calls, so the 3GS is better than the iPhone4 for what matters most. Also the battery life is not as different as everyone is led to believe, its still no Blackberry...

As for the experimental phones, I won't say RIM has never been guilty of it too. Just not in quite some time. The Bold and Torch models work great and pull off all the important things as well as anything you will find out there. I have never seen a Style. It seems like many newer Android phones just throw practicality, battery life, and functionality out the window for tech specs...
    07-10-11 10:28 PM
    Ummm... while the wifi hotspot is a cool feature I do not know of any BB having at the moment, I also know here in the States where I live, the carrier rips you off for using the feature with an additional monthly fee, every month!!! So while it could (and should) be a godsend, its really not. Not so much due to the phone's tech, but due to corporate greed. Although many "rooted" Android phones and "jailbroken" iPhone4's can circumvent the fees, which is a great feature.

But have you ever heard of the Tether app on both BB's and Androids? Its another way to circumvent carrier greed by allowing tethering of data to laptops/desktops without screwing around with your phone. I know tethering to one device is not as cool as wifi hotspot which can share data with multiple devices, but the technology of data sharing is not something BB's cannot do completely, just can't do it as well as of now.

3D pictures and video! LOL Have you seen this gimmick yet? Its the Reebok Pumps of smartphones! Bad analogy, I am old, I remember the gimmick of pumping air on your shoe that did nothing in the 1980's. Nevermind... I have seen a coworker's EVO 3D. Of course I wanted to see this feature in action. You know what it looked like? A hologram baseball card, nothing more. So its "Look everybody! I can turn my pix into a hologram baseball card!" Pretty lame. The background and objects just make a one frame shift, its soooo lame! Are you really counting that one or you were throwing that in as a goof???

As for LTE/4g... once again impractical tech specs. No one has figured out a way to make the batteries run efficiently and many areas still don't get 4G and some carriers also don't have the option. Still experimental, not there yet...

Sorry, no big breakthroughs there...
    lmao, you make a statement that is false. I show you why its false and then dismiss my example just for BS reasons. Good job

And yes my fiance has the evo 3D and while i agree it kinda looks like the baseball cards from yesteryear its still cool to see it. Some of the pics look cool. It just shows you what you could do with a phone and that the feature is really limitless.
    07-10-11 10:39 PM
    Ok I want a 9930. **** i need one to replace my tour (trac Ball) but I have to wait. Nothing I can do but take a chill pill. I do not want an android period end of statement. so i wait.
    07-10-11 10:53 PM
    You are being suckered by tech specs. Is there honestly a huge difference on 3'' phone screens? Who are you trying to kid? Do you honestly use the Kindle app on your smartphone? All smartphones, you read stuff on sites, all modern smartphones look very clear and readable! You sound like an Apple commercial.

Next, the iPhone 3GS is a better PHONE than the iPhone4, I think everyone knows that to be true. There was no "antenna-gate" or offers of free pieces of rubber/plastic to hold the phone together or suggesting you use tape on the 3GS. No grip of death. I don't own either, but members of my immediately family do. The phone part, 3GS is actually better, the very slight upgrades in features the iPhone4 is better. I put the priority on actually making phone calls, so the 3GS is better than the iPhone4 for what matters most. Also the battery life is not as different as everyone is led to believe, its still no Blackberry...

As for the experimental phones, I won't say RIM has never been guilty of it too. Just not in quite some time. The Bold and Torch models work great and pull off all the important things as well as anything you will find out there. I have never seen a Style. It seems like many newer Android phones just throw practicality, battery life, and functionality out the window for tech specs...
    Dude, yea there is a pretty big difference......im not caught up in specs because up until right before i wrote that i didnt kno the exact specs of those screens. What i have to go off of is my 9000, 9300 and OG iPhone that are sitting on the table next to each other. Between the 3, the 9300 has a lot more pixelation.

Again, Antenna-Gate does not define the iPhone4...it was fixed rather quickly. Also, I will still hold that the 4 is a big upgrade from the 3GS....just read some of the reviews ("professional" and consumer).

Lastly, Android phones do what they are supposed to do. They make calls, get emails, send texts, load web and videos, play music....all the things that you expect from your smartphone. Also, where do you get this "throw practicality....functionality out the window" stuff from? They do what they are meant to do. Some manufacturers even go above and beyond. Moto for instance tries really hard to give full integration between your phone and all forms of social media. HTC's software is about the best for awesome amounts of usability (awesome calendar app, flip-for-speakerphone, lift-for-ringer-off, the notification bar, and locking, wiping and finding phone via a home computer). Sense is great (and has been since the WinMo days) at being easy to use and functional for personal and business users.

The battery life argument is a little played tho. The difference is that unlike iWhatnots and BBs, Androids are shipped in the mindset that the end user is going to tweak it to their liking. Plenty of people get 20-48 hours out of those batteries by really tweaking the phone to their liking. Am I saying its better than a BB? No. Am I saying to expect the battery to last for 2 days when you first bring it home No. But, is it on par with other phones with large touchscreens (including the 3 current BBs that have that)? Yes. So, yea they have worse battery life but they also do quite a bit more than most BB devices, and support large touchscreens.
    07-11-11 12:39 AM
    To me, it's like the wait for Christmas Morning... xx more sleeps.

I have grown up now and come to realize, It will get here.
    07-11-11 02:46 AM
    lmao, you make a statement that is false. I show you why its false and then dismiss my example just for BS reasons. Good job

And yes my fiance has the evo 3D and while i agree it kinda looks like the baseball cards from yesteryear its still cool to see it. Some of the pics look cool. It just shows you what you could do with a phone and that the feature is really limitless.
    False? Data sharing on phones? Not new, can be done on BB's. I explained already. I admit WiFi hotspot is really good when you circumvent the greedy carriers policies, but BB's can currently tether to computers for free and "bridge" to the Playbook. So BB's can share data without paying extra monthly fees fairly easily.

Next- 3D pix/video? Big technological breakthrough? It makes Nextel push to talk walkie talkie feature or Facetime look like a really big deal. What I have seen in it and you also acknowledged this, it looks nothing more than a hologram baseball card. Laughable gimmick, not a breakthrough.

Next- 4G/LTE? Its not there yet, most phones do not use 4G yet, not all carriers or areas have it yet either. Even if you count it, phones are always going to get faster. Hardly a big breakthrough...
    07-11-11 08:12 AM
    Dude, yea there is a pretty big difference......im not caught up in specs because up until right before i wrote that i didnt kno the exact specs of those screens. What i have to go off of is my 9000, 9300 and OG iPhone that are sitting on the table next to each other. Between the 3, the 9300 has a lot more pixelation.

Again, Antenna-Gate does not define the iPhone4...it was fixed rather quickly. Also, I will still hold that the 4 is a big upgrade from the 3GS....just read some of the reviews ("professional" and consumer).

Lastly, Android phones do what they are supposed to do. They make calls, get emails, send texts, load web and videos, play music....all the things that you expect from your smartphone. Also, where do you get this "throw practicality....functionality out the window" stuff from? They do what they are meant to do. Some manufacturers even go above and beyond. Moto for instance tries really hard to give full integration between your phone and all forms of social media. HTC's software is about the best for awesome amounts of usability (awesome calendar app, flip-for-speakerphone, lift-for-ringer-off, the notification bar, and locking, wiping and finding phone via a home computer). Sense is great (and has been since the WinMo days) at being easy to use and functional for personal and business users.

The battery life argument is a little played tho. The difference is that unlike iWhatnots and BBs, Androids are shipped in the mindset that the end user is going to tweak it to their liking. Plenty of people get 20-48 hours out of those batteries by really tweaking the phone to their liking. Am I saying its better than a BB? No. Am I saying to expect the battery to last for 2 days when you first bring it home No. But, is it on par with other phones with large touchscreens (including the 3 current BBs that have that)? Yes. So, yea they have worse battery life but they also do quite a bit more than most BB devices, and support large touchscreens.
    I dunno, things like actually making phone calls and battery life are actually important to me, so I wouldn't brush them aside in favor a few minor upgrades that are hardly noticeable or tech specs.

iPhone3GS is better than the iPhone4 based on its primary function, being a PHONE, its superior. Apple did not completely fix the signal problems with the 4 despite what their marketing people will have you believe. Everyone I know that has one loses their signal quite frequently. Its a great media device, but its a piece of junk as a phone. Having a slightly stronger battery, facetime, and a better resolution on the same size screen that cannot be seen by the naked eye is not as big a deal as Apple would lead people to believe...
    07-11-11 08:17 AM

its almost like you are just ignoring parts of posts that dont agree with what you have to say mate.
    I dunno, things like actually making phone calls and battery life are actually important to me, so I wouldn't brush them aside in favor a few minor upgrades that are hardly noticeable or tech specs.

iPhone3GS is better than the iPhone4 based on its primary function, being a PHONE, its superior. Apple did not completely fix the signal problems with the 4 despite what their marketing people will have you believe. Everyone I know that has one loses their signal quite frequently. Its a great media device, but its a piece of junk as a phone. Having a slightly stronger battery, facetime, and a better resolution on the same size screen that cannot be seen by the naked eye is not as big a deal as Apple would lead people to believe...
    I actually owned a 3GS and can say it was not very good as a phone. Its about on par with my 9300. Conversely, i use an iP4 almost everyday at some point as a phone. Never had a signal problem, VERY clear speaker, no death grip.....despite what news casts from a year ago will have you believe.

So now you are dismissing battery life as a "big deal"? After you just made like 7 posts about how that is one of the mainstays of a BB? Cmon son......

And despite what your obvious dislike for iWhatNots, the Retina display is a pretty big deal for alot of consumers.

Like, its one thing if screen resolution et al. is not important to YOU in a phone. Thats fine, its your choice. However, dont blatantly lie and say that the difference between the Torch res and the iP4 res is not noticeable. Thats not going to help with your credibility mate.
    07-11-11 10:39 AM
    But yea...back on topic:

I am of the school that has pretty much already lost patience with RIM. I have started back using my OG iPhone most of the time (in place of my Curve 3G) until AT&T goes down on the Inspire.....

BUT that does not mean that I want RIM to fail. I consider my self among the Ranks of the "Intelligent Consumer" as described in the "Target market" thread. But as such Im still a consumer and not an enterprise user. And as such I feel that RIM does not value our (my) patronage. I think that it would really befit them to release more consumer oriented devices that will cater to the multimedia needs as well as the more basic needs (txt and email).

Also, I think they really need a STRONG five year plan. It has been mentioned here that Apple is quickly and intensively injecting itself into the enterprise market. They already offer full ActiveSync support and are introducing more sevurity features and iMessage (iBBM). So, if you ask me, RIM has no choice but to start embracing some of the things Apple does well (internet, music etc). I think they have a good base with OS6 browser but will that be enough? They are going to have to become the revolutionary of the industry again to survive.

Lastly, I for one have lost patience with all the "Ugh! go buy an android." that goes on here. Not everyone wants an Android (i actually am going to buy one but thats not the point here). What many of us want and deserve is a BLACKBERRY device that is not functionally stuck in the previous decade. We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that can give us an outstanding web experience. We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that is competitive with other platforms as far as music/movies go (again OS6 is a good START). We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that can more happily pass the time we spend sitting in the airport (activate: angry birds?? anyone?? ). Now the 9900, especially, is headed in the right direction for these things. It is a downright exciting device. BUT, we also want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that will be supported by RIM for more than a few months.

Thank you for your time
    07-11-11 11:05 AM
    My first BlackBerry was a Pearl 8130 on Verizon Wireless that I got in September of 2008. I was impressed with all it could do, but a year later wanted something more, so I moved up to a Storm 9530. A big motivating factor in that decision was the price Verizon was offering at the time--just $49, I believe, is all I paid with a two-year contract extension. I liked the phone for a good deal of time, but I guess I was getting restless when, a year later in August of 2010 I went to the local Verizon store and switched to a Palm Pre Plus. The uniqueness of the Pre Plus intrigued me, as did its elegant OS (compared to the BlackBerry's), WiFi connectivity, free Mobile Hotspot "for life" and, well, the price...just $29 to upgrade.

Over time, I discovered through absence the traits of the BlackBerry most appealing to me. Build quality of the Pre Plus was a shadow of the Storm's. Really, you could probably toss the Storm off the top of a building and it would be okay. Look at the Palm funny and it breaks--compared to the Storm, it's like a child's toy, all plasticky and cheap. The Palm's OS, while beautifully designed and executed, overmatched the device's hardware. The phone was only enjoyable by employing a number of patches and overclocking the processor. The BlackBerry's OS and hardware, meanwhile, seem to be perfectly matched, though not perfect, of course.

So last week I made the decision to move back to my Storm. The only thing I truly miss from the Palm is the WiFi ability. Before I abandoned the Storm, I had purchased Tether, so I haven't really lost Mobile Hotspot. I have rediscovered good call quality--talking on the Palm was like listening to somebody talk through a paper cup attached to the end of a string. The camera on the Storm is MILES ahead of the Palm's--though the Palm's camera has essentially the same resolution, the BlackBerry makes more of it with superior auto focus optics. The Storm's battery lasts 2x to 3x longer than the Palm's under comparable usage conditions. I could go on...

I guess my point is you don't know what you've got till it's gone, and it took me nearly a year to discover that. My next upgrade opportunity with Verizon is April of next year and I'm hopeful that my trusty Storm will run reliably until that time. I'm similarly hopeful that Verizon will have some truly appealing OS7 (or even QNX-powered) handsets available, because I'm pretty darned close to declaring my future smartphone devotion for BlackBerry, and would hate to have it derailed by a lack of handset options come 2012.

Sorry that ran on a bit...does that answer the question?
    07-11-11 02:25 PM
    But yea...back on topic:

I am of the school that has pretty much already lost patience with RIM. I have started back using my OG iPhone most of the time (in place of my Curve 3G) until AT&T goes down on the Inspire.....

BUT that does not mean that I want RIM to fail. I consider my self among the Ranks of the "Intelligent Consumer" as described in the "Target market" thread. But as such Im still a consumer and not an enterprise user. And as such I feel that RIM does not value our (my) patronage. I think that it would really befit them to release more consumer oriented devices that will cater to the multimedia needs as well as the more basic needs (txt and email).

Also, I think they really need a STRONG five year plan. It has been mentioned here that Apple is quickly and intensively injecting itself into the enterprise market. They already offer full ActiveSync support and are introducing more sevurity features and iMessage (iBBM). So, if you ask me, RIM has no choice but to start embracing some of the things Apple does well (internet, music etc). I think they have a good base with OS6 browser but will that be enough? They are going to have to become the revolutionary of the industry again to survive.

Lastly, I for one have lost patience with all the "Ugh! go buy an android." that goes on here. Not everyone wants an Android (i actually am going to buy one but thats not the point here). What many of us want and deserve is a BLACKBERRY device that is not functionally stuck in the previous decade. We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that can give us an outstanding web experience. We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that is competitive with other platforms as far as music/movies go (again OS6 is a good START). We want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that can more happily pass the time we spend sitting in the airport (activate: angry birds?? anyone?? ). Now the 9900, especially, is headed in the right direction for these things. It is a downright exciting device. BUT, we also want and deserve a BLACKBERRY that will be supported by RIM for more than a few months.

Thank you for your time
    I agree in that RIM has to step up their game and get with the times by upgrading the technology. But I am a little sick of it when people refer to BB's as "enterprise" or "business user" phones when the overwhelming majority of people that use Blackberries are just regular consumers!

Also even though the tech to BB's already out are behind the curve, they still manage to do all the important media/entertainment stuff and are up with the times in every major area of functionality.

Can you play MP3's? Can you stream music from apps? Can you stream Youtube videos? Can you go on social network sites/apps? Can you expand your memory in SD cards or Cloud computing? Can you do text/email/BBM/Message attachments? Can you tether? Can you take pictures/videos and integrate into other apps? Can you sync many files to your computer? Can you customize the appearance of the interface? Can you bluetooth?

Yes, is the answer to all those questions. In addition, really good battery life on all the more recent models that have physical keyboards, good call quality, great notification process, great email setup, etc.

I am not sure a 5 year plan is necessary. Improve a few minor things, juice up the new phones with a little more power. They did that. New OS? They sort of did that with OS7 and QNX is also on the way. Make the app designers job a little easier and get more apps on BB's. That is important to many consumers, but in reality, the big apps are covered.

Better marketing of BB's! Thats the key! BB's are not being marketed well and it seems like Android phones are marketed as these mini-supercomputers, iPhones as a perfect eco-system of itunes and millions of apps. BB's? What do they show? A guy in a barber shop using BBM? A young professional using his phone to take pictures? Two women in a restaurant using "super apps"? Pretty lame marketing...
    07-11-11 10:41 PM
    Unbiased opinion, BlackBerry is making it's loyalists wait a little too much, We are all sitting with our fingers crossed hoping that the new releases would live up to the expectations and make up to the disappointing wait. I just home RIM is working on bringing a great device to the consumers and this would sure take some time.
    07-12-11 12:54 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD