Hello all -

My first Blackberry was the 71xx from Nextel so I can honestly say I been with rim for a good amount of time. I am loyal to RIM and throughout the years I have been recommending Blackberry's to anyone who would ask me about getting a new device.

However, I must say I am losing patience. I have been waiting for the Torch2 to release for a long time. I know it's right around the corner but how much longer? When the T2 specs were released they were decent but in today's comparisons I don't know with it will be up to par.

Honestly I can't see myself using another device since I have been use to the functionality of BB but I have been looking and considering other devices that are more today's technology standard friendly.

Before RIM I was a hardcore Nextel fan due to it's direct connect. I couldn't imagine having a phone without it. I eventually got a BB 71xx from Nextel and eventually moved away from Nextel. BBM got me hooked and BB's dependability gained me as a customer. Will leaving RIM and BBM be equivalent to me leaving Nextel and its direct connect. Something that I thought was great become not so great after a new introduction.

Am I the only RIM customer that feels this way? Did anyone here leave RIM and came back or left RIM and never looked back?
    07-08-11 02:03 PM
    The original torch isn't even a year old yet...
    07-08-11 02:18 PM
    I got my Torch last September and it's been enough to hold me over and keep me patient. Like you, I can't see myself going to another manufacturer or OS. I just like how BB's work, despite whatever hardware shortcomings they may have.

Just hang on another month or so. The T2 and 9900 and others coming out might not be at the absolute top of the spec sheet, but they are no slouches, either ... they're gonna scream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 02:22 PM
    Hello all -
    Am I the only RIM customer that feels this way? Did anyone here leave RIM and came back or left RIM and never looked back?
    Definitely not. If you know anything about where RIM stands in the mobile market then you would know that a lot of RIM loyalists feel/felt the same way.

There's no doubt that it seems like it takes RIM so long to release phone, but that's only because the amount of Android OS phones being released is astronomical and iPhones put tremendous pressure on the market all the time simply because their desirability. Five years ago the RIM release timeline would have been totally fine, but the way technology works now is considerably speedier than five years ago - even two years ago for that matter.
    kidmac13 likes this.
    07-08-11 02:58 PM
    July 12, think you can wait that long. But thanks cause nobody cry's enough around here!
    07-08-11 03:05 PM
    The original torch isn't even a year old yet...
    i know and the sad thing is that it has a screen resolution of a 3 year old phone.
    07-08-11 03:12 PM
    July 12, think you can wait that long. But thanks cause nobody cry's enough around here!
    i guess july 12th will tell the tale...

i'm sure all the "crying" is due frustration from dedicated blackberry users. would you think there will be crying if RIM is able to produce a device that will once again set the standards for smartphones.
    07-08-11 03:15 PM
    Definitely not. If you know anything about where RIM stands in the mobile market then you would know that a lot of RIM loyalists feel/felt the same way.

There's no doubt that it seems like it takes RIM so long to release phone, but that's only because the amount of Android OS phones being released is astronomical and iPhones put tremendous pressure on the market all the time simply because their desirability. Five years ago the RIM release timeline would have been totally fine, but the way technology works now is considerably speedier than five years ago - even two years ago for that matter.
    I read an article tgis morning that reported 90 Androids currently on the market.makes it pretty easy when they can just cram software into whatever devices a host of manufacturers can gin up. Some of them are pretty funky, such as the Backflip and the Echo.

07-08-11 03:19 PM
    I read an article tgis morning that reported 90 Androids currently on the market.makes it pretty easy when they can just cram software into whatever devices a host of manufacturers can gin up. Some of them are pretty funky, such as the Backflip and the Echo.
    Yeah, they offer an open OS so manufacturers will obviously take that and flood the market. It works for them but it's kind of irritating when people make the argument that Android OS phones are way better than iPhones or even BlackBerry phones because I'd be willing to bet that all iPhones and a lot of BlackBerry phones outsell just about every Android OS phone.
    07-08-11 03:41 PM
    ..I have been looking and considering other devices that are more today's technology standard friendly.

I'm pretty sure the BB's are technology standard friendly..How else would they achieve such long battery life? We've all gotta remember these are freakin pocket computers we're all toting around with us :P I'm simply amazed at what these types of devices actually do.

I left RIM and I'm patiently waiting for these new releases to drop so I can switch back.
    07-08-11 04:43 PM
    I left and came back. Figured I would give Android a try and a few months later and 3 Android phones I was back to my 9700. (Which I still love!)

I guess it depends on what phone you are using right now. I don't believe you mentioned it and I am on mobile instead of full site, so can't see what you have.

I am pretty patient...with cell phones anyway...least now as my 9700 does everything I need it to do. 9900 will be mine, eventually. Don't have the monies like I used too and contract isn't up till Feb 12'...

Least I will see plenty of reviews for it.

07-08-11 05:04 PM
    Not me, upgrade isn't until late November.
    07-08-11 05:07 PM
    Well if you're really as loyal to RIM as you say you are, you'd be patient and wait. If not, go get another phone with similar specs. I'm sick of seeing posts with people just complaining.

07-08-11 11:24 PM
    I'm giving a little over a month then looking for other options sad to say. 9900 or torch 2 is what I'm waiting for!

07-08-11 11:32 PM
    The evo shift had lower specs than the evo and still out performed the evo. Its not always about the specs, its more on how they utilize them. You can have a car with 500HP but it has a governor at 114mph.

Sent from my
    07-08-11 11:36 PM
    What is the point of losing patience? Self frustration is easy enough without losing your mind or manners over a mobile device. It will happen in due time, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of posts, 'It isn't fast enough, it's too big, it doesn't come in white, it doesn't come in pink, thr screen is too small, blah, blah, blah!'

When is enough ever enough? There'll be something 'new' next quarter, next year, next decade, ad infinitum. Either kill yourself trying to keep up with the frenetic pace of changing technology, or learn to relax and take control of yourself and upgrade when it makes sense to.

They could release a golden device with awesome capabilities in August, and some people are gonna gripe that the platinum R2D2 model with the C3PO processor will be out in November, and then This happens.

Dapper37 likes this.
    07-08-11 11:52 PM
    Specs on phones don't matter as much as many think. What was the big technological breakthrough in these newer phones with the super fast CPU's, higher screen resolution, etc.? Name it?

As for screen resolution, we are talking about devices with screens with 2''-4'' displays, hardly noticeable without a magnifying glass.

Fast CPU's tend to drain battery life, along with flash sites that don't properly fit the little screen.

Cameras are always improving and while they are a whole lot better than the early camera phones from about 8 years ago, they are still nowhere near as impressive as a real camera.

Web browsing getting faster is nice, but besides loading pages slightly faster, do you see some huge breakthrough there?

Now here is the best part. That flashy phone you buy now in July 2011 with all the high end specs, by the end of the year will look underpowered by year's end. Why does this matter? Well if you sign a 2-3 year contract, thats just how it is!!!

I just don't understand the obsession with always having the best tech specs. You sign long term contracts, your phone will not remain the impressive mini-computer it was when you got it!

Do people buy cars solely on horsepower? Or video game consoles soley on CPU speed? No, so many factors in cars and in gaming its usually the preference towards exclusive games one console has over another and pricing.

Why on earth would anyone shop for a phone with that mindset? I have no idea...
    07-09-11 08:57 AM
    Specs on phones don't matter as much as many think. What was the big technological breakthrough in these newer phones with the super fast CPU's, higher screen resolution, etc.? Name it?

As for screen resolution, we are talking about devices with screens with 2''-4'' displays, hardly noticeable without a magnifying glass.

Fast CPU's tend to drain battery life, along with flash sites that don't properly fit the little screen.

Cameras are always improving and while they are a whole lot better than the early camera phones from about 8 years ago, they are still nowhere near as impressive as a real camera.

Web browsing getting faster is nice, but besides loading pages slightly faster, do you see some huge breakthrough there?

Now here is the best part. That flashy phone you buy now in July 2011 with all the high end specs, by the end of the year will look underpowered by year's end. Why does this matter? Well if you sign a 2-3 year contract, thats just how it is!!!

I just don't understand the obsession with always having the best tech specs. You sign long term contracts, your phone will not remain the impressive mini-computer it was when you got it!

Do people buy cars solely on horsepower? Or video game consoles soley on CPU speed? No, so many factors in cars and in gaming its usually the preference towards exclusive games one console has over another and pricing.

Great post!

07-09-11 08:59 AM
    I would tell you to hang in there. I know your patience is wearing thin, but if BlackBerry really is your thing; Android will not do it for you.

I do not have as much history with BlackBerry as you do, but I have been on since Sprint dropped the original Pearl. Since then I have used an 8900, 9000 and now a 9800. In there I also tried a Motor Droid and recently an HTC Inspire. I gotta say I just got the 9800 and it is darn good. I cannot believe the battery as compared to the HTC and Motor Droid. Yes the screen is smaller but it is great for me AND I can beat on the phone for a full day without having to recharge. I could not do that on Android.

Wait for the T2 or the 9900. I think it will be worth it. As others have said, who cares about specs, these new BlackBerry devices will be awesome, especially since BlackBerry is in your blood.

Last edited by pineypl; 07-10-11 at 01:18 PM. Reason: some spelling checks
    07-09-11 09:21 AM
    The only reason I'm a little impatient... My 9780 suffered some damage (my fault)... it's working... but it's glitchy and the SD card is "unavailable"...

I'm nursing it along to the 9900 release!
    07-09-11 09:56 AM
    I can't wait to see the new BBs! Hang on a little while longer, CrackBerry nation!

07-09-11 01:42 PM
    Me neither. But that is and always has been part of the marketing of tech, because it does appeal to some and makes it easier for the sellers to differentiate products that are pretty much all the same.
    07-09-11 01:52 PM
    The only reason I'm a little impatient... My 9780 suffered some damage (my fault)... it's working... but it's glitchy and the SD card is "unavailable"...

I'm nursing it along to the 9900 release!
    What kind of damage did you do, and it may be possible to repair said damage to make the wait a lil' easier.

07-09-11 02:20 PM

While some of this is true, a lot of it is not IMO.
    Screen resolution is actually very noticeable at higher resolutions. I had the Torch and iPhone 4 and there is such a huge difference in quality spec-wise and also just at a glance. While the screens may be small, the resolution really does matter, at least to me and anyone else who wants to look at something nice that isn't a strain on the eyes.

Camera improvements are also a big deal(my opinion of course). While MP doesn't mean as much as people think, phone cameras are starting to destroy digital camera sales(the #1 camera used on flickr is apparently the iPhone 4 - a phone, not a camera) and the quality is closer to digital cameras than you say. Sure you can spend hundred or thousands of dollars on a Canon that blows away phone cameras, but if I spend $200 on a phone with a great camera, I'll definitely take that over any digital camera; they are almost as good as most consumer-grade cameras and are much more convenient than having a digital camera - I can share instantly in so many different ways.

As far as processors go, you're right for the most part, but when an OS is optimized perfectly, a better processor is absolutely amazing and won't drain much battery life.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 07-10-11 at 11:29 AM.
    howarmat and K Bear like this.
    07-09-11 03:45 PM

Screen Res is pretty darn noticeable...Even going from the small screen on the 9000 to the smaller screen on th 93xx it is very noticeable.

Its not always the fast CPUs that drain battery. as stated above, its not having the software optimized correctly that drains it quickly

Cameras------see above post

Web Browsing-- its more than just loading pages faster. The OS's interaction is a big deal as well. Also being able to load them at all. The stock browser on the 9300 (in my experience) cant load 90% of web pages the first time....Being able to navigate full desktop pages...all that type of stuff adds to the experience.

And about the contract/tech thing...its absolutely tru...i could buy a dual core phone today and next week they are going to announce the new quad core phone, with 6G LTE, and 4D graphics and dual batteries.....But if my tech is going to be outdated, why would i want to start off with something that is already a year behind in terms of specs?
    07-09-11 06:59 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD