12-19-17 11:14 AM
    yeah the 49% sale of their mobile unit has been discussed in several threads. It probably means that TCL won't branch out beyond a KeyOne replacement plus a slab as their Blackberry offerings ie no move will be made to create a new Priv.
    12-19-17 11:19 AM
    if im not mistaking they are trying to sell to privatize and get off the stock market.
    12-19-17 02:32 PM
    if im not mistaking they are trying to sell to privatize and get off the stock market.
    That was last year,

TCL unveils plan to privatise its Hong Kong-listed smartphone business | South China Morning Post
    12-19-17 05:13 PM
    should be interesting how its going to unfold. might privatize at a very low price.
    12-19-17 06:42 PM
    I brought this up a few days ago and someone responded it was old news?
    12-19-17 07:46 PM
    I brought this up a few days ago and someone responded it was old news?
    It is old news. TCL Comm has generally underperformed for a long time. We’ll see if licensing the BB brand will help them.
    12-19-17 07:48 PM
    The 49% mobile division sale was October news.
    12-19-17 07:49 PM
    Isn't TCL suppose to release sales numbers tommorrow 12/20/17 ?
    12-19-17 07:53 PM
    Isn't TCL suppose to release sales numbers tommorrow 12/20/17 ?
    BlackBerry Ltd releases tomorrow, TCL is separate.
    12-19-17 08:36 PM
    TCL still post it's number of units sold each quarter.... last year they were down about 30% YoY, this year it's a little higher. So from their high a couple of years ago of 25 Million units shipped they are now down to only about 12 Million units shipped. But that means very little as units are "mobile phones, data cards as well as fixed-line and other wireless access/transmission equipment products". They didn't have to break things down when they were a publicly traded company... now that they are private, we will never know BBMo share of those sales.

My view has been that TCL's finical problems this year, are the reason for their weak investment into BBMo. Almost 10 months and they are still "launching" the KEYone. You can bet that Carrier's, Retailers and Enterprise look at TCL's problems and that only adds to the doubt about the brands longevity, which affect BBMo too.

In the end we have to hope that BBMo surrivies the reorganization that TCL Communication is undertaking with these new partners and that they will be able to bring earnings and profits back in the black. Do they retreat back on their home market... China where most of their past success has been. Or do they try to continue to expand into the Western markets with BlackBerry and Palm? My guess is based on what some of those partners bring to the table... their focus is going to be at home.
    12-20-17 03:34 PM
    TCL could be another Foxcon
    12-25-17 10:22 PM
    ..It probably means... no move will be made to create a new Priv.
    Oh, no. How could they pass up an opportunity to duplicate _that_ stunning success..?
    12-25-17 11:04 PM
    Oh, no. How could they pass up an opportunity to duplicate _that_ stunning success..?
    If Blackberry gave them authority for the design I'm sure they could make $500 Priv which would sell more than the original but yes that's a larger gamble then the K1 or slab.
    12-26-17 01:39 PM
    If Blackberry gave them authority for the design I'm sure they could make $500 Priv which would sell more than the original but yes that's a larger gamble then the K1 or slab.
    Selling more than the Priv isn't exactly a high bar...
    12-26-17 01:49 PM
    I really hope it's just a restructuring thing. But I wonder they had a good thing with the KEYone but I feel the motion was a total miss step. And could have been so much better designed
    I was really hoping that the motion was exactly like.key one minus keyboard. They could have had a 5.5 inch display easily.
    #luvmybb10os
    Last edited by silversmith75; 12-26-17 at 08:26 PM.
    12-26-17 04:55 PM
    I really hope it's just a restructuring thing. But I wonder they had a good thing with the KEYone but I feel the motion was a total miss step. And could have been so much better designed

#luvmybb10os
    Unfortunately, people trust BlackBerry for a PKB but it's also what helps create an identity crisis. People can't see beyond the BlackBerry name being associated with PKBs and the old days..
    12-26-17 05:46 PM
    I was really hoping that the motion was exactly like.key one minus keyboard. They could have had a 5.5 inch display easily.
    #luvmybb10os
    True, the Motion screen is way too average by 2017 standards.

If it was the exact KEYone body without PKB just a big display they might as well have named it the KEYnone
    12-27-17 12:51 AM
    True, the Motion screen is way too average by 2017 standards.

If it was the exact KEYone body without PKB just a big display they might as well have named it the KEYnone

Offering the KEYone with only 3 GB of RAM is also below 2017 standards. The original KEYone, especially at that price point, should have been offered with 4 GB RAM without the need to buy that -IMHO- ugly black slab in order to obtain what should have come as a standard feature in the first place. Meanwhile others are off to 6 and 8 GB.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-27-17 02:14 AM
    Offering the KEYone with only 3 GB of RAM is also below 2017 standards. The original KEYone, especially at that price point, should have been offered with 4 GB RAM without the need to buy that -IMHO- ugly black slab in order to obtain what should have come as a standard feature in the first place. Meanwhile others are off to 6 and 8 GB.
    There is no need to buy the Motion to get 4gb RAM, there's also the KEYone black edition for that.
    Those "others" are still very few, besides OnePlus 5 and Note 8, I don't know of a single phone that has more than 4gb RAM. So I don't think BlackBerry Mobile is lacking in that department. First things to improve from here on for the BBF100 in 2018 is to make back - home - recent keys on-screen with an amoled, and make those damn keyboard keys matte, lose the gloss finish, it sucks.
    Oh and OIS would be welcome too.
    12-27-17 02:34 AM
    I was not referring to the Motion as I have no interest in phones without physical keyboard. Instead I was referring to the KEYone black edition, which I was forced to buy only to get the standard 4 GB RAM. It is in my opinion an ugly phone, but that may obviously a matter of personal taste. For me the standard remains the Passport Silver Edition, and the original KEYone just looks a lot more like it, at least appearance-wise. Hence my disappointment that the KEYone was not put to market with specs that may be expected for a regular Android smartphone in 2017.
    Agree on the need to address the glossy keyboard texture but add many other things such as a more receptive cellular antenna, better (including louder and preferably dual loudspeaker) sound quality through loudspeakers, to name but a few things I would expect from a future release. Not to mention prompt monthly security updates.
    12-27-17 04:25 AM
    I was not referring to the Motion as I have no interest in phones without physical keyboard. Instead I was referring to the KEYone black edition, which I was forced to buy only to get the standard 4 GB RAM. It is in my opinion an ugly phone, but that may obviously a matter of personal taste. For me the standard remains the Passport Silver Edition, and the original KEYone just looks a lot more like it, at least appearance-wise. Hence my disappointment that the KEYone was not put to market with specs that may be expected for a regular Android smartphone in 2017.
    Agree on the need to address the glossy keyboard texture but add many other things such as a more receptive cellular antenna, better (including louder and preferably dual loudspeaker) sound quality through loudspeakers, to name but a few things I would expect from a future release. Not to mention prompt monthly security updates.
    I see, and it's an "ugly" phone because of the top blocky part, which looks awfully not 2017.
    However if you really want a silver look for your Black Edition KEYone, you can always get this

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Skinomi-TechS...kAAOSwekhZ4QNl

There are other colors available too
    12-27-17 05:01 AM
    Unfortunately, people trust BlackBerry for a PKB but it's also what helps create an identity crisis. People can't see beyond the BlackBerry name being associated with PKBs and the old days..
    It's funny. I was a huge PKB fan with BBOS, but I needed a new phone immediately when the Z10 was released, and could not wait for the Q10, which was released a few months later. I was skeptical, but then I was completely satisfied with the BB10 VKB. Even 4+ years later, the Z10 with its VKB is my "go to" BB10 phone, even after buying a Passport, which I also love.

I now am a proud owner of a KEYone, and I'm enjoying the PKB with it, especially for the keyboard shortcuts for navigation and editing, which I find to be the biggest advantage of a PKB.

I now associate BlackBerry with a phone optimized for business communications, with a heavy emphasis on email and voice quality. I no longer think of them as a PKB-only device.

My take on the physical vs. virtual keyboard discussion is now this:

VKB is faster and less fatiguing for pure text entry, but at the cost of perfect accuracy.

PKB is almost letter perfect in terms of accuracy and is much, much better for editing text, due to the absolute precision of keyboard -based navigation shortcuts.

For everyday use on all manner of text communications, I have a slight preference for VKB, but for long-form quality writing, nothing beats the PKB.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-27-17 at 08:21 AM.
    12-27-17 06:55 AM
    It's funny. I was a huge PKB fan with BBOS, but I needed a new phone immediately when the Z10 was released, and could wait for the Q10, which was released a few months later. I was skeptical, but then I was completely satisfied with the BB10 VKB. Even 4+ years later, the Z10 with its VKB is my "go to" BB10 phone, even after buying a Passport, which I also love.

I now am a proud owner of a KEYone, and I'm enjoying the PKB with it, especially for the keyboard shortcuts for navigation and editing, which I find to be the biggest advantage of a PKB.

I now associate BlackBerry with a phone optimized for business communications, with a heavy emphasis on email and voice quality. I no longer think of them as a PKB-only device.

VKB is faster and less fatiguing for pyre text entry, but at the cost of perfect accuracy.

PKB is almost letter perfect in terms of accuracy and is much, much better for editing text, due to the absolute precision of keyboard -based navigation shortcuts.

For everyday use on all manner of text communications, I have a slight preference for VKB, but for long-form quality writing, nothing beats the PKB.

Well said
    12-27-17 08:18 AM
    It's funny. I was a huge PKB fan with BBOS, but I needed a new phone immediately when the Z10 was released, and could not wait for the Q10, which was released a few months later. I was skeptical, but then I was completely satisfied with the BB10 VKB. Even 4+ years later, the Z10 with its VKB is my "go to" BB10 phone, even after buying a Passport, which I also love.

VKB is faster and less fatiguing for pure text entry, but at the cost of perfect accuracy.

I never thought about that with you. I know that you love your Z10 and I'm surprised with all your use, I would have figured Q10 vs Z10 after the Q10 became available of course.
    12-27-17 08:38 AM
29 12