On a reddit thread that asked, "What has your company tried to do to engage employees that totally didn't work?"

One user mentioned:

A friend at BlackBerry told me how after they laid off half the company, they offered a discounted stock purchase plan once it started to tank even more as an alternative benefit to bonuses, raises, etc. Didn't receive the applause they expected.

Oh, and after that, they implemented a rule that says you need the CEO's written permission to volunteer without pay, coach your kids softball team, etc, and they can fire you without severance if they "catch you". If you didn't agree, they would fire you, possibly without severance. Lol. Glad I never had to deal with **that** level of incompetence.
    I'm not sure if this is with the new CEO, but damn does it seem like hell to be working at BlackBerry.

Here's the image of the comment.

Looks like BlackBerry treats their employees like crap-img_20150909_010541.png

And here's the link to the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...engage/cuv04g2

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    09-09-15 01:10 AM
    I can believe the discounted purchase thing, but written permission from CEO to "coach your kids"? That's far too high the chain TBH.

I don't believe that one. Hell the last company I work for only have 5 levels of chain of command, and I don't need CEO permission when I got sick

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-09-15 01:17 AM
    I can believe the discounted purchase thing, but written permission from CEO to "coach your kids"? That's far too high the chain TBH.

I don't believe that one. Hell the last company I work for only have 5 levels of chain of command, and I don't need CEO permission when I got sick

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Yeah, first half.. right. Second half, over embellishment for sure.
    09-09-15 01:32 AM
    Ya soon as a story starts of with "a friend of mine" or "I know a guy who" is usually BS or extremely exaggerated. Boring
    09-09-15 01:45 AM
    Probably a bit of confusion...

Some companies pay for volunteering. With BBRY's financial state, it seems plausible that if this is a benefit, they'd tighten the reins a bit.

Betting this is what was being referenced.
    09-09-15 01:47 AM
    I worked for a big company that was going under. You would be surprised about the mickey mouse corner cutting that goes down.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 02:25 AM
    The second half isn't all that uncommon in corporations. Though I think it probably doesn't detail the full picture. The "coach your kids softball team" caveat probably doesn't apply to all employees (though it may but usually it's for employees above a certain position or level), and is in place to ensure somebody doesn't appear to be "Representing Blackberry" when they're performing charitable contributions. Not that Blackberry would be against the notion of giving to the community, but if there's even an outside chance that Blackberry's name might be attached to it, the CEO or Executive Management needs to know and give approval.

I'm not sure if the "volunteer work" means performing volunteer work in the public (which if it does then it's the same concept as above), or volunteering to do extra work at the workplace for no pay, in which case that's a big issue with many corporations. If somebody volunteers work, since they're off the clock and not earning a wage, it's too easy for the employee to deny any culpability should something go wrong or projects not get finished in a timely manner. Written permission ensures culpability and accountability. I've worked for companies that were like this. Once my clock was up for the day, they'd literally chase me out if I hadn't received permission to continue working (with pay or without).
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 09-09-15 at 04:24 AM.
    09-09-15 04:12 AM
    Is BlackBerry a good place to work? I would say no simply for the fact that you don't know if you will have a job tomorrow. When your friends start losing their jobs trust me you start looking for greener pastures.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 05:43 AM