My wife's Sony Ericsson W580i bit the dust 7 months prior to when she could get a new phone from AT&T and after playing with my BB Pearl, decides she wants a BB. Smart girl. The problem is AT&T wants full price for a phone and we don't want to do that. We're not pleased with AT&T's coverage in our rural area, so we're looking for a used BB.

Anyone ever deal with zendoo-electronics on eBay? He seems to have some good deals on pre-owned stuff, but I wonder.

Thanks in advance.
    01-02-09 06:12 PM
    If he is a power seller he probably would be fine, Ebay or Craigs list.
    01-02-09 06:13 PM
    Hi. Check out marketplace on CB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 06:15 PM
    And avoid CraigsList at all cost. Unlike EBay you have zero avenues
    for dispute resolution should the phone arrive DOA, not as
    advertised, etc...
    01-02-09 06:31 PM
    Squaretrade offers warranties on eBay purchases.

One year of insurance through them costs less than $20, and I believe the 2nd year is half that.

I got my Pearl from eBay power seller seller kyles_treos.

He has Verizon silver and pink Pearls for either fixed price Buy-It-Now, or auctions. My "very good" condition Pearl came with the plastic protector still on the screen, and I swear it looked brand new. Couldn't find a scuff or scratch on it anywhere.
    01-02-09 06:33 PM
    Have a look int eh CrackBerry Marketplace. You never know...
    01-02-09 06:40 PM
    Thanks guys.
    01-02-09 07:17 PM
    yeah avoid craigslist like the plague.

i rememebr when the iphone first came out, some people over here (in brooklyn actually) were having rich yuppies drive out to buy an iphone in cash and when they got there they would smack them over the head with a bat and steal all their money and belongings.

and of course they were meeting in person because you have zero protection for mail orders.

so they know your showing up with $800 in your pocket, a nice mark.
    01-02-09 08:32 PM
    Thaks to all for the suggestions and help. I was able to obtain a Pearl 8110 in good condition for ~ $65 today. It's not as good as I wanted, but will fill the bill until the contrat runs out in August. I appreciate the help since I'm a newbie here.
    01-04-09 01:03 AM
    yeah avoid craigslist like the plague.

i rememebr when the iphone first came out, some people over here (in brooklyn actually) were having rich yuppies drive out to buy an iphone in cash and when they got there they would smack them over the head with a bat and steal all their money and belongings.

and of course they were meeting in person because you have zero protection for mail orders.

so they know your showing up with $800 in your pocket, a nice mark.
    That is freakin scary.

But then again...I don't get why people would think it'd be a-okay to meet strangers from the internet in person, ESPECIALLY if they have so much money on them. I definetely would never need any device THAT badly.

01-04-09 01:51 AM
    That is freakin scary.

But then again...I don't get why people would think it'd be a-okay to meet strangers from the internet in person, ESPECIALLY if they have so much money on them. I definetely would never need any device THAT badly.

That is why you meet at the mall... may not be 100% protection, but it decreases the risks.
    01-04-09 03:00 AM
    My phone died 8 months prior to my official upgrade date, but I've been a customer for a long time in good standing, so I called the customer service line and just told them my situation and they reviewed my account and offered me a courtesy upgrade. You might try that.

01-04-09 08:04 PM
    Glad you found a 'new' BB.

There were some cases of that iPhone robbery deal happening in this area too. Unfortunate progression, from 15 years ago, when kids were getting stabbed and pistolwhipped for Starter coats.

My $.02 on CL.....

CL is definitely a place to exercise due caution, but I wouldn't say stay away 100%- you have to be very careful though. I've made probably 50+ personal transactions through CL over the years- sale or purchase of goods of some sort, and have never had a bad experience, knock on wood. And very few of my transactions have been below $100, the highest being the sale of my last bike, at $5,500 cash.

You DO have to be very careful though, and always buy in person. Though I'm a pretty big guy, and can handle myself pretty well, I still choose to meet people in public places- restaurant, Union Station in DC, places like that. For the few transactions that have to take place at my home, like my bike sale, I am carrying, just in case. For the few that have to take place at someone else's home or 'home turf', I bring the goons with me. Never know. Also, on CL, there's a limit to the due diligence you can do since you only have a name and email address, which can often tell you NOTHING AT ALL. But I always google the email address of the other party, and the user ID (before the '@'), name, and anything else I can.

Most recent example: About a month ago, I sold a kids dresser to someone via CL. She had a somewhat unique name. By the time she got to my house, after Googling her, I knew her age, current and previous places of employment, the industry she was in on the side, city she lived in, where she was born, the city she lived before DC area, and her maiden name. This was from a simple Google search, not one of those fancy (albeit scary) pay sites. This speaks to the volumes of personal information that people place on the internet. Frightening, in an 'Enemy of the State' kinda way, but it can be helpful. My idea was that even though she was a woman buying a dresser for a child *supposedly*, that didn't mean that a truck full of anything wasn't going to pull up in from of my house (though I'd be prepared for it ). Anyway, she and I hit it off when she got here, so I showed her the information I pulled up on her, and she freaked out. We still talk, she was cool people, as were most I've met on CL.

Pardon the soliloquy. Thought I'd share.
    01-04-09 08:46 PM
    I've bought and sold on craigslist also. While its definitely good to to read their fraud section I wouldn't leave cl out. I bought the blackberry I'm on from there actually. The good thing about having sprint is that I can call and switch the phone right there to make sure I'm not getting a broken one.

01-04-09 09:30 PM
    My phone died 8 months prior to my official upgrade date, but I've been a customer for a long time in good standing, so I called the customer service line and just told them my situation and they reviewed my account and offered me a courtesy upgrade. You might try that.

Funny you should mention that. My carrier, Cellular One, was bought by AT&T about 14 months ago, so I only had about 14 months of "good behavior" with them. They refused me an early upgrade on the grounds that "I should have bought the insurance when it was offered." EVen though the piece of junk Sony Ericsson phone wouldn't even last through the contract. Go figure. I had been with Cellular One since my first cellular phone, which had to be 12 years or longer--heck longer than that, but it didn't matter.

I found this company online called zendoo.com and have found them to be super in selling used phones. Whoever it is grades the phones and from what I can understand is very accurate. I'll report back when I get the 8110 and will also report on how AT&T treats me when I want to add a data plan to the BB.
    01-04-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD