Does anyone know where I can buy new wdis for my phone. It went swimming
    08-03-10 11:34 AM
    Why? This is fraud. Why should we help you?
    08-03-10 11:40 AM
    Agreed. Lock!
    08-03-10 11:58 AM
    Illegal...
    08-03-10 12:07 PM
    Agreed, no one will help you. Not only that, there is indicators inside the device that you won't find...
    08-03-10 12:11 PM
    I dropped my curve 8330 in water, the stickers faded after a while.
    08-03-10 01:04 PM
    There are like 5 indicators, Basic dis-assembly will only show you two. Man-up and do the right thing (or maybe woman-up, one should never assume).
    08-03-10 02:46 PM
    bwhahahaha.... awesome thread.
    08-03-10 02:53 PM
    ibtl....surprised this is still open. mods?
    08-03-10 03:02 PM
    I have a BB pearl and just found out that the indicator sticker is red. I have NEVER gotten it wet, never dropped it in any liquid, never had a problem with it, and it is currently in fine working condition. The sticker seems to be the fraud!!
    12-20-10 01:02 PM
    Some posts on here report the same thing.

Sometimes things like steam from the shower or other high-humidity devices will cause the indicator to go red. They need to find a better way to detect water damage.
    12-20-10 01:24 PM
    On my old 8100, the battery went red X's on the indicator strip, but the one visible inside the battery compartment stayed white. However, my wife's compartment sticker is red - and it did go into the water a few years ago. Although, I was able to dry it out and she continued using it for 6 more months before she got a new phone. I brought it out back and used it for a few months myself when my Pearl hit the ground one too many times and finally killed the screen for good. Of course, all this happened well after warranty period was over, so it doesn't matter.
    12-20-10 01:27 PM
    How are steam and high humidity not water damage? They can do the same thing as dunking the phone into water. Cellphones are not really designed to withstand high humidity and steam from a shower without suffering some type of damage.
    12-20-10 01:28 PM
    I have a BB pearl and just found out that the indicator sticker is red. I have NEVER gotten it wet, never dropped it in any liquid, never had a problem with it, and it is currently in fine working condition. The sticker seems to be the fraud!!
    Did you use it with wet hands or wet hair? Was it near a steamy shower or steamy kitchen? Was it in a sweaty pocket?

It does not take much moisture to cause the stickers to change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 01:28 PM
    How are steam and high humidity not water damage? They can do the same thing as dunking the phone into water. Cellphones are not really designed to withstand high humidity and steam from a shower without suffering some type of damage.
    Yes, if your equipment is in a high humidity environment, your equipment has a chance to form condensation and it just takes a drop of condensation at the wrong place and zap.

However, if I'm walking through an area, say an area at a zoo or museum where they have a "rain-forest". Even if i take my battery out of the phone and wait 12 hours after leaving for the condensation to "go away", I can still void my warranty by the little sticker changing.

I work around equipment everyday that goes from warm indoors to cold outdoors and back again. Every piece of equipment as well as magnetic media works great and for many years after the condensation has evaporated.

What I'm saying is just taking your BB from one environment to another too quickly can trip the sticker. No fault of the owner.
    12-20-10 01:36 PM
    The battery indicator, by the way, is supposed to have red X's. When they fade and the color runs they indicate water exposure. .

12-20-10 01:40 PM
    The battery indicator, by the way, is supposed to have red X's. When they fade and the color runs they indicate water exposure. .
    Not always. On the D-X1 (8900) it is a red line. On the F-S1 (9800) there is
    no symbols at all. It's just a white rectangle.

Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-20-10 at 02:06 PM.
    12-20-10 01:48 PM
    Yes, if your equipment is in a high humidity environment, your equipment has a chance to form condensation and it just takes a drop of condensation at the wrong place and zap.

However, if I'm walking through an area, say an area at a zoo or museum where they have a "rain-forest". Even if i take my battery out of the phone and wait 12 hours after leaving for the condensation to "go away", I can still void my warranty by the little sticker changing.

I work around equipment everyday that goes from warm indoors to cold outdoors and back again. Every piece of equipment as well as magnetic media works great and for many years after the condensation has evaporated.

What I'm saying is just taking your BB from one environment to another too quickly can trip the sticker. No fault of the owner.
    Totally the fault of the owner.

High humidity = moisture

Moisture + BlackBerry = Bad combination

It's advisable to ALWAYS keep your BlackBerry completely out of high humidity environments or else you likely will experience moisture related problems.
    12-20-10 03:26 PM
    There are cases one can use if protection from moisture is needed. http://m.crackberry.com/waterproof-b...aterproof-case

12-20-10 03:36 PM
    If you from a tropical country, 90% humidity is the norm, then you cannot avoid it.

12-21-10 06:31 AM
    If you from a tropical country, 90% humidity is the norm, then you cannot avoid it.

But if the humidity stays constant, then you shouldn't have a problem. Moving from an environment like you state above to one where you walk into an enclosed environment running an HVAC system where the humidity is 40%. Sooner or later, walking back and forth between these two environents are going to cause condensation.

It's advisable to ALWAYS keep your BlackBerry completely out of high humidity environments or else you likely will experience moisture related problems.
    While I agree with you in theory, you are telling me I shouldn't use my phone over the summer where I live when the humidity can change 40-50% between outdoors and in? I work around electronics all day and understand what condensation can do, but again, if my phone is off and the battery pulled and I wait a huge amount of time for the condensation to evaporate, I can still void my warranty because a little sticker turned a color??

I admit there probably isn't a better solution, but the current solution isn't accurate enough for me.
    12-21-10 08:17 AM
    Then it's probably the wrong device for you.
    12-21-10 08:36 AM
    But if the humidity stays constant, then you shouldn't have a problem. Moving from an environment like you state above to one where you walk into an enclosed environment running an HVAC system where the humidity is 40%. Sooner or later, walking back and forth between these two environents are going to cause condensation.

While I agree with you in theory, you are telling me I shouldn't use my phone over the summer where I live when the humidity can change 40-50% between outdoors and in? I work around electronics all day and understand what condensation can do, but again, if my phone is off and the battery pulled and I wait a huge amount of time for the condensation to evaporate, I can still void my warranty because a little sticker turned a color??

I admit there probably isn't a better solution, but the current solution isn't accurate enough for me.
    What I'm trying to point out is that exposing the device to moisture/condensation/humidity regardless of whether it is intentional or not is still the "fault" of the user. Meaning that it voids the warranty when it causes damage to the device (typically the keypad).

It's not a manufacturer defect. There's no way that you can construe it as such. It's user damage, albeit unintentional. But it doesn't matter than it is unintentional.
    12-21-10 08:40 AM
    You can find the stickers for sale on ebay, BUT as others have pointed out it's unlikely you will find all of the moisture indicators in the device, and it could be considered fraud.
    12-21-10 08:52 AM
    Then it's probably the wrong device for you.
    Tell it to RIM that they got the wrong market, Indonesia is the fastest growing/largest BB market in Asia.
    12-22-10 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD