hi there! I currently own the Nokia E5-00 QWERTY phone and have been planning to replace it with a newer/better one. the reason is i want a either a QWERTY or touchscreen phone that will support my liking for music. what i mean is one that has customisable EQ settings, on-the-fly creation of Playlist (and changing a Playlist name as well) and maybe some built-in sound enhancment software like SRS audio or Dolby Mobile or if not a dedicated audio chip or some form of noise cancellation or something.

I know Nokia phones are good with audio sound output either with or without the earphones but are Blackberry phones any good as well? do they have some of the features wishlist i mentioned above?

Please help....!

Thanks.
    06-11-11 12:51 PM
    OS6 phones can do Playlist creation, EQ,
    I'm not an audiophile so I don't know about the last part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    gino_76ph likes this.
    06-11-11 12:54 PM
    The BlackBerry music player does have some preset EQ options, but none that are user-customizable.

gino_76ph and LudwigvonKast like this.
    06-11-11 01:19 PM
    There are other music players available from AppWorld as well as the CrackBerry app store. If the native player isn't up to your standards perhaps one of the other ones will work for you.

06-11-11 02:32 PM
    Blackberry Curve 9300, it has dedicated music buttons at the top.

LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-11-11 04:39 PM
    Dedicated music buttons are a plus but a dedicated audio chip (like from Dolby or SRS Audio) or feature such as 3D surround sound and/or noise cancellation is another thing.

Audio boost is fine. preset EQ's are fine. stereo surround is better. but i much prefer something more better. (more like what i mentioned above).

The BB Torch audio sounds better than i expected. better than a mid-end Nokia phone i must say. almost equal with Samsung phones.

But, will RIM continue to add and innovate its music player options with newer phones like the Bold 9900 and the new Torch and some unknown touchscreen phone?
    06-11-11 05:21 PM
    why not just get an ipod?
    06-11-11 07:15 PM
    I want to buy a good music-sounding phone rather than buy an iPod and a phone and that means 1. i'm not saving money and 2. too much devices when you can buy only one. that's my philosphy right now.

so, any sugestions? or advice please?
    06-12-11 03:24 AM
    I want to buy a good music-sounding phone rather than buy an iPod and a phone and that means 1. i'm not saving money and 2. too much devices when you can buy only one. that's my philosphy right now.

so, any sugestions? or advice please?
    I have a Sansa mp3 player, but I hardly use it. I've had excellent results with my BlackBerry devices. I use the stock media player and Klipsch Image S4 headphones.
    06-12-11 03:29 AM
    I have a Sansa mp3 player, but I hardly use it. I've had excellent results with my BlackBerry devices. I use the stock media player and Klipsch Image S4 headphones.
    i use that same setup!

great earbuds!
    06-12-11 03:32 AM
    I want to buy a good music-sounding phone rather than buy an iPod and a phone and that means 1. i'm not saving money and 2. too much devices when you can buy only one. that's my philosophy right now.

so, any suggestions? or advice please?
    One of the first thing I noticed when I bought my first ever blackberry, the curve 8320, was that the music sounded very good. A very music systems obsessed friend once told me it's not the specs that matter, it's how well it's optimized.
    I would invest in a very good set of headphones but you probably already have some don't you? Lol

Go with the torch or wait a bit until the 9900 comes out so you can test it.
    I understand music is very important to some people, more important then other features.

gino_76ph likes this.
    06-12-11 03:32 AM
    i use that same setup!

great earbuds!
    I have a friend who has an iPhone who also uses those headphones.
    06-12-11 03:36 AM
    I am able to play .flac files on my 9700. For anyone who is an audiophile, you know that .flac is much higher quality than .mp3.
    06-12-11 03:37 AM
    My experience with mp3 started with the iPod and I can say that it just stopped there after trying for the first time the BB Bold 9000 which displayed a superior reproduction.
    If you want to get some "quality" out of the iPod you have to use a top quality earphone brand (I bought in Japan a Panasonic RP-HJE900 set; expensive as ****, but equally amazing in performance).
    Right now I am using a Curve 3G which gives a very good sound indeed, though I guess that the performance of the Bold was a tad superior (according to my ears).
    I no longer have the Bold 9000; I gave it to my girl-friend and I am simply waiting impatiently for the Bold 9900; I miss the keyboard!)
    The clear advantage of the BB smartphones over the iPods also lies in their built-in speakers (ever tried to listen to the crappy sound of an iPod without using earphones?)
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 32GB mini SD card and transfer all my iPod music to it and using only the BB instead.
    But what is really amazing is the clear sound reproduction of the Playbook! If I want to even better reproduction, I connect it through a cable to my amplifiers/sound system. The sound is impeccable. If you are a classical music fan, the app from KUSC is truly great! I use it as background music while working at the computer.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    06-12-11 04:12 AM
    I had never used the music player in my BBerries until last Thursday or Friday, can't remember which. I'd been doing a voice note on my Torch on my way to work when I noticed the music icon and I thought "why not?!?". I was VERY pleasantly surprised! Sounded GREAT!!!
    It won't replace my iPod, but in a pinch, it'll work beautifully.
    That said, I really liked the media capabilities on my Atrix. Too bad I can't recommed it overall.

06-12-11 05:28 AM
    I had never used the music player in my BBerries until last Thursday or Friday, can't remember which. I'd been doing a voice note on my Torch on my way to work when I noticed the music icon and I thought "why not?!?". I was VERY pleasantly surprised! Sounded GREAT!!!
    It won't replace my iPod, but in a pinch, it'll work beautifully.
    That said, I really liked the media capabilities on my Atrix. Too bad I can't recommed it overall.

You'll be pleasantly surprised to know that you can sync your pc music, itunes and windows player, using wifi and DM, look no cables lol
    06-12-11 06:51 AM
    I'm done with the in ears though the sound quality is awesome with my Shures.
    I'm using Sennheiser px 100 ll's They sound good enough for walking about. I like the open design and am not a fan of noise reduction. I keep thinking a car is going to hit me :/
    06-12-11 09:44 AM
    Does Bold phones sound better than the Curve ones?

My wife has the Torch and i was pretty impressed with the sound output from my mid-end Sony in-ear buds.

what do you think guys? go with the Curve 3G 9300, Bold 9700/9780 or wait for the Bold 9900?
    06-12-11 10:34 AM
    Honestly, just plug in a good set of earphones ans viola!

I have used expensive to cheap and you pay for what you get in most cases.

Media capabilities are good enough on most BB's...I only use my Nano iPod as I have had it forever and sits in my car.....

Should have bought a BT deck, lol!

gino_76ph likes this.
    06-12-11 11:25 AM
    You can get an APP as a music player. if you want a Blackberry that is loud get an Blackberry 9000
    The new Blackberry's are great for apps and media cards so you can get all you want, also some devices like Pearl flip has some extra usage as music players (button shortcuts and such)
    gino_76ph likes this.
    06-12-11 02:11 PM
    I don't like a BB phone that plays "loud". what i want is your opinion on BB phones that plays really decent, good-sounding, clear audio espcially with headphones on.

Get the Bold 9900 (or the 9780) as they also play Flac or wait for the new 9900? (as it has touchscreen to make things more easier).
    06-13-11 12:35 PM
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 32GB mini SD card and transfer all my iPod music to it and using only the BB instead.
    Definitely worth doing. The thing that annoyed me on the Torch was the gaps between tracks which prevented smooth track transition. Like so many things, the upgrades to the operating system resolved that particular problem.

I've got several iPods of differing sizes and getting a 32GB SD card means that I've basically now put them in the cupboard.
    06-13-11 07:21 PM
    I personally feel that the Blackberries do perform well when it comes to basic music, I am not an audiophile so maybe I don't really understand the difference but I find no difference between my Nokia E (63 and 71) and my BB curve. I would say with the added features the BlackBerry is a better choice.
    06-14-11 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD