so I can hook up with my rig (pc) on my home network to access folders, files and able to download and upload to and from blackberry and rig. Looked around and there seems to be some pay apps out there that may do what I need but would prefer a free app that can do this. Thanks.
    08-08-10 07:05 PM
    It should show up as a removable hard drive on your pc and you can create folders or delete them and drag and drop files. Not sure why you need a file manager for something windows does natively.
    08-08-10 09:53 PM
    Yes, I know about the blackberry showing up as a removable drive but I see that when I use a usb cable plugged into the rig. I mean being able to access a networked pc using wifi. Example. I want to access a pc on the private network network named "myrig" and the drive shared is drive E. Where on the blackberry can I enter: \\myrig\e to get to my rig and the shared drive e so that I can d/l a video or music file from the networked pc onto the blackberry?

Can this be done natively from the blackberry? I figured I would need something that works like windows explorer to do this which I don't see on the blackberry. I'm assuming it needs some sort of file manager app that works like windows explorer. I guess I want the 9650 to act as much like a pocket pc as possible since I got the wifi capability. That's what I'm looking for in the blackberry. Emails are secondary to me. This is why I dumped the tour after a month for a 9650 for the wifi. I found out it had no wifi capability and wifi was key for a complete smartphone. So far, I'm just not that impressed with the BB because it feels more like a business phone than a multifunctional smartphone with some fun to it. I already have a smartphone for work so I don't need my personal phone to be like a work phone. Maybe since I lucked out and got the 9650 which will get the new OS6, maybe that'll get me connected with this device.

I tried installing an FTP server app on my rig and accessing it thru the web browser over the wifi on the private network but the blackberry browser don't understand the ftp:// protocol command so that idea is out.
    Last edited by zwoof; 08-09-10 at 12:51 AM.
    08-09-10 12:26 AM
    BB OS5 has a File Manager built-in.

On OS4, there are some (paid) apps you can download. Alternate is to do it via PC/USB, and treat your BB (memory and data card) as a USB disk.
    08-10-10 08:25 AM
    BB OS5 has a File Manager built-in.

On OS4, there are some (paid) apps you can download. Alternate is to do it via PC/USB, and treat your BB (memory and data card) as a USB disk.
    Does the built-in file manager allow access to a networked pc's shared folders?

I tried going to the file folder and doing it from there.

Is this the right way to access the explorer?

Opened media under the menu tree, select explore, then it takes me to the screen where it says "find" where I can input, then below that it gives the option to look in media card and device memory. Typed in the path to the shared pc and the shared folder but it doesn't do anything.

I assume that's where blackberry's OS explorer is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If the free file explorer isn't available, perhaps a free ftp client all for the BB may be an option?
    Last edited by zwoof; 08-10-10 at 10:36 AM.
    08-10-10 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD