I am looking to purchase a bluetooth hands free car kit that will be compatible with my Bold 9700, enabling me to play MP3's and Podcasts over the bluetooth speaker.

I do not have a car stereo that is bluetooth enabled, and FM transmitter capabilities is not a feature which is important to me.

The main things I am looking for are:

* Good Sound Quality
    * A2DP enabled
    * Voice Dialing capability
    * Ability to play MP3's and Podcasts over the Bluetooth speaker
    * Ability to pair with at least 2 phones
    * Reasonable price

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
    04-19-10 01:33 AM
    RIMs VM605 is good. I use that as an external for music and I use it in my car as well. Has FM capability. Voice dialing capability is controlled by your phone so it works just as your phones voice dialing. Its reasonably priced. I think its under 100.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 08:48 PM
    Thanks, RH. When you say it plays the music externally, you're referring to over the bluetooth device speaker itself, or over some FM channel on the car radio?
    04-21-10 11:27 PM
    I'm fairly certain it can do both, although I've never had occasion to try using it just as an external speaker and mine is currently 150 miles away.

It definitely can stream music from your blackberry to your car stereo via FM, which I guarantee you that once you have it cracked is the only way you'd want to listen to music in your car.

Edit

Also, it is a good price for what you're getting, and carries the RIM stamp of approval.

Mine is velcroed to the centre console rather than on the visor (in the mornings I have to drive into the sun for about an hour and a half, and its really hard to use with the visor flipped down). Works just as well.
    04-22-10 01:24 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    04-22-10 02:23 AM
    Anyone know if this model can be paired with more than one phone?
    04-22-10 04:04 AM
    Yes I have it to stream slacker radio from my phone to my cars fan radio via the VM605 and when I'm in a hotel, I use the vm605 as external speakers.

Yes u can pair more then one phone. I had my lipid touch hooked up as well to test it out.

04-22-10 05:50 PM
    I actually bought this about a month ago and love it... I paid $45 free shipping from newegg.com.

It will also work with your GPS to give you directions over the speaker, a big plus since I can't make the phone loud enough to listen to the turn by turn direction GPS.

I have no need to pair a second phone so I cannot comment on that one!
    04-22-10 10:03 PM
    I have a jabra sp700 which I use with my storm. It clips to the visor and works just great. It plays through its own speaker or through the car radio via FM. Phone sound quality is excellent and battery life is really good too.

04-22-10 10:30 PM
    I had been considering the Blackberry VM605 or the Jabra SP700, but i noticed that both are lacking a feature that I find to be important, which is that the bluetooth doesn't announce the name of the caller - but instead says the phone number of the caller (if I am not mistaken).

Who remembers phone numbers today? It would seem to me to be a major distraction, that while driving you're trying to figure out who is calling and whether you want to take the call.

Anyone know of a model that has that feature, but is also A2DP enabled (unlike the Parrot Mini Slimkit, which has the feature,but doesn't have A2DP.)

Thanks.
    04-23-10 12:15 AM
    Blueant does have the ability for the text to speech to announce the name
    Features - Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Handsfree - BlueAnt Wireless
    04-23-10 08:21 PM
    Blueant does have the ability for the text to speech to announce the name
    Features - Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Handsfree - BlueAnt Wireless
    Problem is, it's not A2DP compatible. See here: Product Comparison - BlueAnt Wireless

For whatever reason, Blueant divides all the good features for their car bluetooth speakerphones between their two models. What they need to do is design one that has everything.

So far I haven't found one that combines all the features I am looking for:

* Text to Speech ability
    * Pair more than one phone
    * A2DP capable
    * Has the ability to play audio over device speaker (not just over FM stereo)
    * Voice Dialing capability
    * Good sound quality / mic
    * Can sync entire phone contacts

Any more ideas?
    04-24-10 02:04 PM
    I recently purchased the MotoROKR T505 off ebay for $70. It does everything you need it to (except announcing incoming caller's name). It does announce the number though like the others you have already researched. I have had the parrot 3100 and 3200 and like them both, but they don't do music via bt. That was a huge issue to me as I recently bought a car that the factory radio can't be changed in so I ended up taking the chance on it. Overall I'm really satisfied. I am equally impressed with the voice quality and clarity of the fm transmitter.

05-13-10 12:16 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation. I still would like to find something that offers everything I am looking for, but am becoming less and less optimistic that such a device exists.
    05-13-10 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD