I am looking to replace my old LG8300 flip phone with a Blackberry and have some questions. The main reason for this is I want to have PDA functions such as calendar and contacts as my old Palm Pilot is no longer supported. Here are my questions. Do to more recent technology, will a 3G device such as the Curve (Verizon) offer better reception than my old LG? Does the sync feature work well with Outlook 2007? I�ve read about the need to frequently pull the battery out in BB�s to reboot�is this still the case? I�ve never had to do that (or anything) to my LG. Lastly, I have considered buying an Ipod Touch for PDA functions while continuing to use a basic cell phone. Any thoughts on this? Two devices is not a big deal for me and my emails do not need immediate response. Thanks in advance!
    11-27-10 05:33 AM
    Reception is device dependent. Many of today,s phones are better than the LG. My Torch is much better than either of the last two household LG's.

The Torch has not required reboot since purchase. I do as an old BB habit reboot after theme or app installation but not for memory management or freeeze. Lots of issues seem resolved.

As a PDA and hone two device owner of past times I am dellighted with the higher functionallity of a single device. BB is highly recommended in my home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 06:25 AM
    Reception is device dependent. Many of today,s phones are better than the LG. My Torch is much better than either of the last two household LG's.

The Torch has not required reboot since purchase. I do as an old BB habit reboot after theme or app installation but not for memory management or freeeze. Lots of issues seem resolved.

As a PDA and hone two device owner of past times I am dellighted with the higher functionallity of a single device. BB is highly recommended in my home.
    I would have to agree with Sedalia, my 9800 (Torch) is a very good blackberry to start on easy to use and like what my friend said the battery pull thing is old school now . I've yet to pull my battery since purchasing it from the AT&T store.

I think you would like a Torch it works exceptionally well if your the type of person that always need to be connected, whether by email, i.m., blackberry messenger, etc .....

Not to mention the whole time management software that come with the phone.

Hope you like your BlackBerry, if thats the device manufacture you chose ,
    Redz120
    11-27-10 06:39 AM
    You can do much better than a Blackberry.
    11-27-10 07:02 AM
    Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear that the battery pull issue has been resolved. From what I've read, there seems to be loyal BB users and those that are fed up with the lack of development. For me, I'm sure that any smart phone would be an improvement. I've looked at the Droid phones and they seem too busy and overly complex. I wouldn't be surfing the web all that much but would like the ability to receive and send emails and as mentioned, be able to utilize the PDA functions. For what I am looking for, does the Curve 3G seem like a good choice?
    11-27-10 07:30 AM
    You can't get the Torch on Verizon. Others here will know better - and I'm sure the curve is fine - but it's been around a while, maybe the Bold is a better choice.
    I had a Palm years ago & have had a blackberry for about 3 years. I have BIS & synch w/Outlook well - though there is a learning curve to get the settings just right. You'll learn a lot here so keep reading. Once you figure out the basics, you will surf the web too. It's great to be able to do everything from one device. Have fun!

11-27-10 07:56 AM
    I am looking to replace my old LG8300 flip phone with a Blackberry and have some questions. The main reason for this is I want to have PDA functions such as calendar and contacts as my old Palm Pilot is no longer supported. Here are my questions. Do to more recent technology, will a 3G device such as the Curve (Verizon) offer better reception than my old LG? Does the sync feature work well with Outlook 2007? I�ve read about the need to frequently pull the battery out in BB�s to reboot�is this still the case? I�ve never had to do that (or anything) to my LG. Lastly, I have considered buying an Ipod Touch for PDA functions while continuing to use a basic cell phone. Any thoughts on this? Two devices is not a big deal for me and my emails do not need immediate response. Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like you'd be better off with a Windows Phone or Palm device.
    11-27-10 12:06 PM
    Sounds like you'd be better off with a Windows Phone or Palm device.
    VZW does not have any of the new Windows 7 phones yet. They will not get them until next year. I would not recommend the old WinMobile phones at this point, since they are end-of-life.
    11-27-10 12:09 PM
    You can do much better than a Blackberry.
    You could do much better than being a troll...
    11-27-10 12:14 PM
    And he is a huge troll Dave...

OP, I am sure you would be very happy with a BB. Torch is nice, but I suggest you go to a store as me, I recommend the 9780 Bold style, but I am bias on that as I love my 9700 so much and not much difference besides camera and more memory.

9300 might be nice for you as well.

Good luck!

11-27-10 12:26 PM
    Welcome KZMAN! I agree with sedalia066 concerning signal reception. I've never had to reboot my phone unless required by installing a new app. I sync my device daily with Blackberry Desktop Software and MS Outlook 2007 and everything works flawlessly. All Blackberry devices have the same basic PDA functions, IMO it depends on what is offered by your cell phone service.
    11-27-10 12:49 PM
    You could do much better than being a troll...
    I almost forgot, anti-Blackberry opinions are frowned up upon in here.
    11-27-10 12:54 PM
    Again, thanks for all of your comments. I do need to stick with Verizon, so my phone choices are either the Curve or Bold. Problem is, I'm color blind (red - green) and I cannot see the red numbers on the Bold's qwerty keyboard! They are white on the Curve and easy for me to see. I'm especially happy to hear that outlook 2007 syncs flawlessly. I'm heading out to look at some phones in a bit....we'll see what happens.
    11-27-10 01:04 PM
    You didn't forget. You just like to be a pot-stirrer, rather than contribute anything of value.
    klintoncloud likes this.
    11-27-10 02:16 PM
    Again, thanks for all of your comments. I do need to stick with Verizon, so my phone choices are either the Curve or Bold. Problem is, I'm color blind (red - green) and I cannot see the red numbers on the Bold's qwerty keyboard! They are white on the Curve and easy for me to see. I'm especially happy to hear that outlook 2007 syncs flawlessly. I'm heading out to look at some phones in a bit....we'll see what happens.
    Seems like a no brainer, go for the 9330. Yes the 9650 is the better device, BUT the 9330 is also a great device and it is upgradable to the 6.0 OS (which you can get now IF you are willing to load up a leaked OS). It just has lower specs than the 9650, less memory, camera, CPU, and screen resolution. BUT with the color issue, I think you need to go for the 9330, and while the specs ARE less, they still are pretty good, and it should suit your needs. And for what you plan to do, BBs shine. They are best for messaging and scheduling, but are NOT as good as Android & iphone at the web.
    11-27-10 02:51 PM
    So I�m back from looking at some phones and thought I�d share what I discovered. In comparing the Bold with the Curve, it is very obvious that the Bold is in a different league. It has a very high quality feel to it and the keyboard seems more refined. What I didn�t like about the Bold was the charging port is in a very awkward position making it difficult to use when the cable is connected. Additionally, the Bold�s track pad didn�t seem to work as well as on the Curve. What I am really happy about is how intuitive the entire operating system seems. I also spent some time with a few Android phones and for me, they are not an option. I am just not impressed with the touch screens. The ones I tried were either too touchy or didn�t respond well. In fact, it seems that the only touch screen that has impressed me is the Iphone. At any rate, I am now comfortable knowing what the differences are between BlackBerry and Android and look forward to joining the BlackBerry community soon. Thanks for a very enjoyable first post!
    11-27-10 04:19 PM
    You didn't forget. You just like to be a pot-stirrer, rather than contribute anything of value.
    OK, what exactly are you contributing of value. All you're doing is riding my sack.
    11-27-10 06:59 PM
    How could you forget? You're reminded of it often enough!
    11-27-10 07:07 PM
    My first smartphone was the BlackBerry Tour 9630 and I liked it. I have since moved up to the Bold 9650 and I love it. Gave my Tour to my wife and she loves it. All my kids (grown) have android-type phones and they seem to like them, too, so I guess it's whatever rings your chimes. ;-)

11-29-10 09:27 AM
    I'm getting better reception on my Curve 3G than my old Sony phone. I don't email much but I text a lot. Speakerphone is loud. Music sounds fantastic especially with the earphones. I find it easy to surf the web. Google Maps works flawlessly, I'm more amazed by how well Google Maps works on this phone than anything else. I usually get 2 days use before charging unless I'm listening to Pandora for hours on end. The calendar is a breeze to use. I downloaded a multi alarm app so that I can have more flexibility setting alarms. Blackberry App World has a lot of wonderful apps, especially the games I enjoy,puzzles,card games,sudoku etc. The wifi let's me cut down on data usage as well as letting me view web pages more quickly.

11-30-10 11:25 PM
    Just to let you all know, I purchased the BB Curve one week ago and it has far exceeded my expectations! My reception is much better and the sync option with Outlook 2007 works flawlessly. Many thanks to all of you for helping answer my questions!
    12-06-10 12:20 PM
    Rock the 9650! :P

12-06-10 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD