Today I was wondering if Rim strategy is "when two fight, the third wins" in a rough translation from romanian proverb, or "divide and conquer" as most of you know it.
    Now I'm convinced when I learned that all UK carriers are capping data plans to 500mb per month.
    Blackberry data compression looks like a big ace up the sleeve after all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I used my berry pretty hard and I would never go over 200mb. By turning on my wifi, I was able to reduce my consumption to 72mb.

A stat read claimed iPhone users used 450mb per month on average and android uses more. If my experience is comparable, one could reduce their data consumption by using wifi. And reduce that consumption to far less than 500mb. That means data conversation is not relevant.

Further, cut rate carrier MetroPCS, charges more for Berries than other smartphones. Thoughts?

01-14-11 02:11 PM
    I used my berry pretty hard and I would never go over 200mb. By turning on my wifi, I was able to reduce my consumption to 72mb.

A stat read claimed iPhone users used 450mb per month on average and android uses more. If my experience is comparable, one could reduce their data consumption by using wifi. And reduce that consumption to far less than 500mb. That means data conversation is not relevant.
    I've used about 1gb this calendar month to date and around 400mb for the week. If I used only wap pages and didn't stream anything, I'm not entirely convinced my consumption would be drastically higher than that of a BB.

I would try it but I'm not giving up full webpages, flash, streaming content, etc...

Further, cut rate carrier MetroPCS, charges more for Berries than other smartphones. Thoughts?

The reason for that is probably because they're smaller in terms of customers and don't sell many BB devices, so the per unit cost for BIS service is higher. Said another way, they can't subsidize the BB's as much due to increased costs vs other devices.
    01-14-11 03:39 PM
    Good point. Carriers love the fact that BlackBerry devices are more efficient w/data usage. The bandwidth hogs create negative perceptions of carriers service (as what's happened to AT&T).

From a consumer standpoint, they don't tend to think about or focus on that as much as they do the acutal user interface. That's why the iPhone is so successful. I now have an iPad, and I think it's great for multimedia. The productivity apps (email & calendar primarily) leave a LOT to be desired. I almost CAN'T use it for work. Not seriously. Not when you can't snooze a calendar reminder. Not when you can't search the inbox for a person. Not when you can't see, when you get a calendar invite, whether or not there's a conflict with the proposed time or not...

Keith
    01-14-11 03:52 PM
    Choice=Android. View full web pages. I'm tired of tiny mobile sites that are stripped of features with the BlackBerry browser.

Luckily there's a lot of wifi spots around and my folks are getting a mifi. Then I can that when I visit!

You can see full websites with BB's browser. I personual don't like too. Most of what I miss is ads. If I need to use a feature I just go into regular version.

01-14-11 08:37 PM
    Full websites load painfully slowly. Half don't render properly and many sites won't load completely. It's not good. I like mobile sites as well but mobile sites don't always have all the capability that the full site has. I'm getting over using mobile sites and want to view, and use, full sites now. So the BlackBerry browser isn't cutting it for me anymore.

01-14-11 08:46 PM
    You can see full websites with BB's browser. I personual don't like too. Most of what I miss is ads. If I need to use a feature I just go into regular version.

OS 5 browser, no you cant. OS 6 you can but its still not the same as iphone or android
    01-14-11 08:47 PM
    Full websites load painfully slowly. Half don't render properly and many sites won't load completely. It's not good. I like mobile sites as well but mobile sites don't always have all the capability that the full site has. I'm getting over using mobile sites and want to view, and use, full sites now. So the BlackBerry browser isn't cutting it for me anymore.

That's what Bolt browser is for, you should try it, it's very fast even on 2G, renders properly.

01-15-11 02:40 AM
    belfast, why should it take a 3rd party app to do what the NATIVE browser should do. This is the exact reason that BlackBerry is failing hard. If they had Bolt on in the store demos, then they might have more of a chance.
    01-15-11 05:12 AM
    belfast, why should it take a 3rd party app to do what the NATIVE browser should do. This is the exact reason that BlackBerry is failing hard. If they had Bolt on in the store demos, then they might have more of a chance.
    Does it matter? This is the day and age of apps, Bolt is available, free and fast.
    Answer me this: how good is an Android or Iphone without any apps?
    01-15-11 05:29 AM
    Does it matter? This is the day and age of apps, Bolt is available, free and fast.
    Answer me this: how good is an Android or Iphone without any apps?
    I had an iPod Touch, but not an Android/iPhone. However, the iPod Touch and BlackBerry were as useful as each other OOTB.
    01-15-11 05:53 AM
    That's what Bolt browser is for, you should try it, it's very fast even on 2G, renders properly.

I do use Bolt as well as uZard. Bolt is much better than BlackBerry browser but it's still a little slow. It also doesn't work on many sites that I've tried. But I do use it as my primary browser.

I browse a lot. I'd like a better one.

01-15-11 06:40 AM
    I do use Bolt as well as uZard. Bolt is much better than BlackBerry browser but it's still a little slow. It also doesn't work on many sites that I've tried. But I do use it as my primary browser.

I browse a lot. I'd like a better one.

The native browser is slower but I find it much faster at navigating and doing things within it, refreshing, sending links, selecting phone numbers/email addresses, searching in the page, selecting bookmarks etc are a breeze.
    It's all a compromise.

01-15-11 08:07 AM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD