Interesting thread, i have noticed i use my bb 9700 loads but my data usage is really low!
    How good is the data compression using blackberry then?
    as an example i use on average of 100/150mb of data a month, if i was doing exactly the same tasks(receiving emails,browsing etc) how much dat would i be using on an iphone/android handset??
    just wondering
    General rule is a blackberry will use a third of what an android or iphone would.
    So 100mb on a blackberry means 300mb on other which doesn't sound like much of a difference but if you would use 500mb they would need 1500mb which sounds like a huge difference.
    Streaming video bypasses blackberry compression though, and would use just as much(I think)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 06:50 AM
    Really interesting thread, especially since I upgraded to a Torch from a "dumb" 'phone on December 11. My AT&T plan is the cheapest data plan (200MB for $15/mo). The first two weeks, I kept track of data usage daily, and I was appalled at how fast that 200 MB went! Then I figured out that I wasn't really connected to my home wi-fi, so I was using data plan for all my newbie fumbling around to get used to the phone. Now I'm into a new month, and in 10 days I've used 1 MB.

I agree...the days of unlimited data are numbered, if not over for good.
    01-13-11 05:20 PM
    that may be happening in the UK (lets see what really happens) but not in the USA where rimm was vanquished by Android last year even before IP4 came to Verizon.
    01-13-11 05:23 PM
    that's why i'm happy to be grandfathered with my unlimited plans on AT&T.
    01-13-11 05:28 PM
    So did T-mobile UK,1gb 3gb, now it's all axed to just 500mb. You can't even say I'll just pay extra and use more as when you hit 500mb they basically cut your speed down so you can't stream any media anymore. If this is the future, the future looks good for blackberry.

You mean if this is the future it stinks for everybody...
    01-13-11 05:40 PM
    You mean if this is the future it stinks for everybody...
    Just look at the price of petrol, or gas as you call it

01-13-11 05:43 PM
    that's why i'm happy to be grandfathered with my unlimited plans on AT&T.
    Well, technically all data plans are unlimited here too, 500mb is the "fair usage policy"
    Does AT&T really have unlimited data?

01-13-11 05:46 PM
    Good point, maybe she can give us an example of a website that can't be viewed on a blackberry.

Anything set up to use Flash for the navigation of the website?
    howarmat likes this.
    01-13-11 05:51 PM
    Just look at the price of petrol, or gas as you call it

Yours seems artificially inflated by taxation though. When ours is at $5, yours will be what, $9?
    01-13-11 05:55 PM
    Higher taxes for public use, like healthcare.

01-13-11 05:57 PM
    Anything set up to use Flash for the navigation of the website?
    Give us an example and I'll try it on Bolt.

01-13-11 06:02 PM
    01-13-11 06:04 PM
    Yours seems artificially inflated by taxation though. When ours is at $5, yours will be what, $9?
    �1.29 per litre

01-13-11 06:05 PM
    I can view that site, slowly, on my BlackBerry using the uZard web browser. It's not ideal though. But I use that browser if I need to view a flash site.

01-13-11 06:06 PM
    try it with bolt and see

i actually can load and watch movies and shows from the site on my android
    01-13-11 06:07 PM
    try it with bolt and see

i actually can load and watch movies and shows from the site on my android
    No, not working but other then flash sites, is there any that the Bolt couldn't show?

01-13-11 06:11 PM
    Bolt is a no go. And there's videos? Lol. UZard loaded the site but no videos played! They both FAIL.

01-13-11 06:13 PM
    No, not working but other then flash sites, is there any that the Bolt couldn't show?

lmao, there might be but flash is a huge web component and is required for many sites. there are probably many sites with videos that bolt cant handle either
    01-13-11 06:14 PM

Bolt doesn't work to use:

Orbitz.com
    Trip Advisor.com
    Kayak.com
    Silksoymilk.com

To name a few. I use my BlackBerry in place of a PC. So I've tried A LOT of sites on my BlackBerry, using the BlackBerry browser as well as Bolt, OM and uZard.

01-13-11 06:15 PM
    Lol, I hope not but it looks like it's possible. What happens at the end of the contract though? You'll have to choose a new existing plan, can't keep your old plan.

That is not how it works in the USA.
    See with my plan, I am already out of contract, its how it was made. But here you stick with the same plan even if you are not under contract, no matter what, unless you change it of course, then you go through the new rules of the contract you moved onto.
    01-13-11 07:41 PM
    In the UK, we're blessed by prevelant WiFi, so the 500MB data cap isn't unreasonable. Plus you're not allowed to stream videos and the like using the GPRS/EDGE/3G cellular network. Nor are you allowed to use P2P software etc. It's pretty much the same across the board, but here's my companies set of T&Cs

Your airtime contract - O2
    01-13-11 09:05 PM
    In the UK, we're blessed by prevelant WiFi, so the 500MB data cap isn't unreasonable. Plus you're not allowed to stream videos and the like using the GPRS/EDGE/3G cellular network. Nor are you allowed to use P2P software etc. It's pretty much the same across the board, but here's my companies set of T&Cs

Your airtime contract - O2
    That's terrible...
    01-13-11 10:55 PM
    That's terrible...
    My guess is it's temporary. They are just not ready with their network to serve millions with their data plans. Perhaps they want to update their networks.
    Anyway, my experience in the UK is that there are plenty of wifi spots all over the place. In London, there wasn't much blind spot, i was using BTopenzone wifi on my iphone and it was available everywhere except inside the apartment.
    01-13-11 11:11 PM
    Well, technically all data plans are unlimited here too, 500mb is the "fair usage policy"
    Does AT&T really have unlimited data?

not anymore. the max is 2GB for $25. i'm grandfathered for $30. there is no such BS as fair usage policy. that's the one thing i always loved about the U.S... they don't bother you if you're on it already, unless you're really abusing it.
    01-13-11 11:16 PM
    My guess is it's temporary. They are just not ready with their network to serve millions with their data plans. Perhaps they want to update their networks.
    As far as I know, they're bringing the data limits on unlimited down further. iPhone 4 contracts are already capped at 200MB (my mum has one, she has 200MB, I have 500MB on my BlackBerry, I have an 8520 and very rarely go above 20MB a month)

Anyway, my experience in the UK is that there are plenty of wifi spots all over the place. In London, there wasn't much blind spot, i was using BTopenzone wifi on my iphone and it was available everywhere except inside the apartment.
    All the popular fast food chains, Starbucks, universities. All loaded up with WiFi. So it's not too bad. I certainly never have much trouble with WiFi. Plus, get the train from London Kings Cross direct to Leeds or Bradford, the train will have WiFi on it, I promise
    01-13-11 11:34 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD