Look belfastdispatcher, for what you do, compressed data is probably your thing. But for those who want a full web experience, can find it elsewhere. I like being able to go to a website with a fully functional browser. IF portability is my goal - which it is, then my phone can outdo my laptop on a single charge. I'm able to participate in my online class through my phone if I so desired. I'm not a laptop guy, even when I do own one. Also, I like being able to watch some video while I'm on an airplane or train, and not have to carry out something from an overhead bin. Instead I can view video, read my ebooks (the Kindle app rocks on Android, and I'm sure rocks on the iPhone as well) at the convenience of pulling something out of my pocket. I can actually save my laptop bag for better items per the hand carry rules.
    I understand that but my point is, at least in uk, it looks like you're not gonna be able to pull as many of those full web pages and view many videos since the carriers are going to more or less cut you off if you've used your 500mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 12:36 PM
    I understand that but my point is, at least in uk, it looks like you're not gonna be able to pull as many of those full web pages and view many videos since the carriers are going to more or less cut you off if you've used your 500mb.

So move out of the country. the weather is dismal, anyway. I spent over 3 years in the UK, so I know of which I speak.
    01-12-11 12:40 PM
    A 720p video on my phone that is < 1 minute long is over 25 MB big.

That is why "4G" and "Unlimited Data" (or high data caps ... soft-caps, in some cases (T-Mobile) that way when you get to 5GB you may not be able to stream, but you can still get email/chat/etc. on your phone) are such a big deal.
    That is a lot of data for 1 minute lol.

01-12-11 12:40 PM
    we're lucky that is compressed. If not, we're looking at 8GB for a half hour. Since it's HD, even more so.
    01-12-11 01:01 PM
    I think we've been spoilt with lots of cheap data in the last few years, I have a feeling they want to force all heavy data streaming on 4G, at an extra monthly price though, and on more expensive dual core etc etc handsets.
    With 2G spectrum ruled to be made available to 3G data in uk, we might just see blackberry be left the king of 3G.

01-12-11 01:24 PM
    Telus Mobility caps at 1, 2 and 3GB. Not any different, and OS 6's browser uses up allot of data. Disable images, but there's no placeholders like in OS 5, you cannot click any 'image' buttons on crackberry forums. Bolt compresses the images, I prefer to use that for mobile surfing.

01-12-11 06:41 PM
    I just recently went from VZWs unlimited data plan down to the 150mb @ $15.00 a month when I called the customer service dept. and asked them to tell me my average monthly usuage for going on 2 years I have had my Tour. I was no where even close to 150mb using minimal texting and lots of email, minimal browsing and a few apps that I beta test for and just use that use data streams.

Of course when I upgrade in March to most likely an Android I will probably stay on this plan for several months to see where or what I am using and go from there.

All carriers are doing this tier plan with data now a days.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-12-11 at 06:59 PM.
    01-12-11 06:55 PM
    you will blow thru the 150 MBs fast, trust me
    01-12-11 07:01 PM
    Not with the Tour's browser! I think he's actually getting ripped off!
    01-12-11 07:04 PM
    I just recently went from VZWs unlimited data plan down to the 150mb @ $15.00 a month when I called the customer service dept. and asked them to tell me my average monthly usuage for going on 2 years I have had my Tour. I was no where even close to 150mb using minimal texting and lots of email, minimal browsing and a few apps that I beta test for and just use that use data streams.

Of course when I upgrade in March to most likely an Android I will probably stay on this plan for several months to see where or what I am using and go from there.

All carriers are doing this tier plan with data now a days.
    I did that on my wife's line, 2 months ago. the savings is great--50% on data fees--she never goes over 50MB.
    01-12-11 07:31 PM
    Not with the Tour's browser! I think he's actually getting ripped off!
    Are you thinking that I am getting ripped off??
    Mat you are probably right but I have to test the waters before I go for the more expensive data plan I just got rid of if I am not going to get close.
    Right now I am not using anywhere close to even the 150mb.
    01-12-11 09:15 PM
    I did that on my wife's line, 2 months ago. the savings is great--50% on data fees--she never goes over 50MB.
    Exactly. My bill went down to around $50.00 with taxes included as opposed to over $70.00.
    01-12-11 09:17 PM
    Telus Mobility caps at 1, 2 and 3GB. Not any different, and OS 6's browser uses up allot of data. Disable images, but there's no placeholders like in OS 5, you cannot click any 'image' buttons on crackberry forums. Bolt compresses the images, I prefer to use that for mobile surfing.

So did T-mobile UK,1gb 3gb, now it's all axed to just 500mb. You can't even say I'll just pay extra and use more as when you hit 500mb they basically cut your speed down so you can't stream any media anymore. If this is the future, the future looks good for blackberry.

01-13-11 12:24 AM
    That is a lot of data for 1 minute lol.

Yes, it's 47 seconds long 720p video I recorded, in 3gp format.

I was wrong on the size, though...

I just checked the details:

Length: 0:47
    Size: 68,987 KB

Doing some quick and dirty math to see what one hour would be:

68, 987 / 47 = 1,467 KB/sec
    * 60 = 88,068 KB/Min
    * 60 = 5,284,110 KB/Hr
    / 1024 = 5,160 MB/Hr
    / 1024 = ~5.04 Gigabytes for 1 Hour of 720p HD Video in 3gp format

That's the video recorded with my phone. Of course, if you're streaming you'll probably get something that is compressed a bit more, but you will still cap your data even with an 5GB cap in spectacular fashion with tons of HD video streaming over 3G/4G.

I would also like to add that transferring these HD Video files to other phones or devices over Bluetooth is slooooooow!
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-13-11 at 01:09 AM.
    01-13-11 12:56 AM
    Yes, it's 47 seconds long 720p video I recorded, in 3gp format.

I was wrong on the size, though...

I just checked the details:

Length: 0:47
    Size: 68,987 KB
    I could squish that to 9MB with a variable bit rate of 768-1024 kb/s with 128 kb/s audio. 4:3 720 is quite good.
    Edited due to error, I put up a 3 minute vid @ 4:3 720p, 29MB total size.
    01-13-11 12:58 AM
    Yea. That 150 MB won't even last a week. That will get eaten up with him just checking the new phone out after he buys it, and I wouldn't be surprised if he blows through it on the first day...

(He or She)
    01-13-11 12:59 AM
    Today I was wondering if Rim strategy is "when two fight, the third wins" in a rough translation from romanian proverb, or "divide and conquer" as most of you know it.
    Now I'm convinced when I learned that all UK carriers are capping data plans to 500mb per month.
    Blackberry data compression looks like a big ace up the sleeve after all.

We have the same proverb in Italy: "Tra i due litiganti, il terzo gode."

I guess I am sticking to my plan! Unlimited Data!
    01-13-11 01:04 AM
    We have the same proverb in Italy: "Tra i due litiganti, il terzo gode."

I guess I am sticking to my plan! Unlimited Data!
    Unlimited will be no more, welcome to data caps.

01-13-11 04:11 AM
    Unlimited will be no more, welcome to data caps.

If I stick to my plan, it will.
    Plus, what T-Mo UK does, it doesn't mean T-Mo USA will follow.
    01-13-11 05:39 AM
    If I stick to my plan, it will.
    Plus, what T-Mo UK does, it doesn't mean T-Mo USA will follow.
    Lol, I hope not but it looks like it's possible. What happens at the end of the contract though? You'll have to choose a new existing plan, can't keep your old plan.

01-13-11 05:43 AM
    I could squish that to 9MB with a variable bit rate of 768-1024 kb/s with 128 kb/s audio. 4:3 720 is quite good.
    Edited due to error, I put up a 3 minute vid @ 4:3 720p, 29MB total size.
    I edited my post and already said that compression would make it much smaller.

Using you example that's like 580MB per hour, but who knows how that will look on a large screen if you're using DLNA or HDMI/TV-Out.

If you stream something like a netflix movie that's gonna be 800MB-1G+ for a movie stream.

The Avatar movie that comes on the Galaxy S phones is compressed and gives great video quality. It's 1.4GB in size.
    01-13-11 05:53 AM
    I edited my post and already said that compression would make it much smaller.

Using you example that's like 580MB per hour, but who knows how that will look on a large screen if you're using DLNA or HDMI/TV-Out.

If you stream something like a netflix movie that's gonna be 800MB-1G+ for a movie stream.

The Avatar movie that comes on the Galaxy S phones is compressed and gives great video quality. It's 1.4GB in size.
    Lol, before we get lost in translation , what we need to know is how much data is used streaming an hd video, youtube maybe , not storage memory.

01-13-11 06:00 AM
    Choice=Android. View full web pages. I'm tired of tiny mobile sites that are stripped of features with the BlackBerry browser.

Luckily there's a lot of wifi spots around and my folks are getting a mifi. Then I can that when I visit!

Full websites... Hmmm... I view them all the time.
    01-13-11 06:23 AM
    Interesting thread, i have noticed i use my bb 9700 loads but my data usage is really low!
    How good is the data compression using blackberry then?
    as an example i use on average of 100/150mb of data a month, if i was doing exactly the same tasks(receiving emails,browsing etc) how much dat would i be using on an iphone/android handset??
    just wondering
    01-13-11 06:32 AM
    Full websites... Hmmm... I view them all the time.
    Good point, maybe she can give us an example of a website that can't be viewed on a blackberry.

01-13-11 06:38 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD