Today I was wondering if Rim strategy is "when two fight, the third wins" in a rough translation from romanian proverb, or "divide and conquer" as most of you know it.
    Now I'm convinced when I learned that all UK carriers are capping data plans to 500mb per month.
    Blackberry data compression looks like a big ace up the sleeve after all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-12-11 at 08:23 AM.
    01-12-11 07:57 AM
    Orange caps at 750. Was on the phone with them no longer than a couple days ago.

~ttz
    01-12-11 07:59 AM
    ye its `most` are capping it at 500Mb, vodafone used to say ultd, and now say 500Mb, however they do offer a 1Gb plan too. i pay �20 a month for 600mins, ultd (ye thats 3000 too) txts and 1gb web+BIS on a sim only, best way to be
    01-12-11 08:06 AM
    ye its `most` are capping it at 500Mb, vodafone used to say ultd, and now say 500Mb, however they do offer a 1Gb plan too. i pay �20 a month for 600mins, ultd (ye thats 3000 too) txts and 1gb web+BIS on a sim only, best way to be
    I assume it's new contracts only and seems to start from February. T-mobile are cutting all contracts to 500mb and instead of charging more if you go over they'll ban you from streaming media.

01-12-11 08:17 AM
    01-12-11 08:20 AM
    What's the ace again? Doing nothing? Brilliant!

JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    01-12-11 08:25 AM
    What's the ace again? Doing nothing? Brilliant!

Data compression, blackberry uses a LOT less data.

01-12-11 08:29 AM
    This is true. I'll be using wifi a lot if VZW gets tiered data plans (in my Android though).

01-12-11 08:31 AM
    This is true. I'll be using wifi a lot if VZW gets tiered data plans (in my Android though).

VZW does offer tiered data plans. 150mb for $15, and unlimited for $30.
    01-12-11 08:49 AM
    and what about those data hungry iPhone users about come to Verizon?? LOL! WHen they get a 4G version of the Jesus phone later this year (or next year, if Verizon keeps them on a one year cycle), it will be "hurry up and wait" when it comes to consuming lots of data. "oh, yeah, my iphone 5 is SOOO fast on Verizon--I can watch almost an entire movie on it, before I reach my monthly cap!"
    01-12-11 08:51 AM
    I meant if they got rid of their unlimited data, like AT&T.

01-12-11 08:51 AM
    I meant if they got rid of their unlimited data, like AT&T.

I thought you might have meant that, after the fact...
    01-12-11 08:53 AM
    It's gonna happen, sounds like they're more worried about clogging up the network rather then about charges.
    It's gonna be a case of: with an iphone/android you can view 1000 web pages, with a blackberry 3000. Make your choices.

01-12-11 08:56 AM
    Choice=Android. View full web pages. I'm tired of tiny mobile sites that are stripped of features with the BlackBerry browser.

Luckily there's a lot of wifi spots around and my folks are getting a mifi. Then I can that when I visit!

01-12-11 09:00 AM
    It's not just web browsing that eats up data. I used a gig on my BlackBerry last month.

01-12-11 09:02 AM
    Choice=Android. View full web pages. I'm tired of tiny mobile sites that are stripped of features with the BlackBerry browser.

Luckily there's a lot of wifi spots around and my folks are getting a mifi. Then I can that when I visit!

Lol, yes, but you're gonna wish you have those stripped of features(but also data eating ads)mobile pages to leave you more data for some streaming. Wifi spots are nice but most of us can't base our mobile, and I mean mobile not static, usage on it.

01-12-11 09:06 AM
    No, I wouldn't want to rely on using wifi for sure.

01-12-11 09:09 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how many minutes of HD streaming video would 500mb buy you?

01-12-11 09:51 AM
    RIM's been talking about this for a while now, that compression on BB's will make them more attractive once tiered data plans become the norm. However, I just don't see them as a selling point to the average consumer. For them, I think it's more about the eye candy that the phone offers in influencing their decision.
    01-12-11 09:54 AM
    I think features are what sells phones. Native functions, apps. Eye candy wears off quickly.

01-12-11 09:56 AM
    Yes, but when the 'eye-candy' gives folks a massive bellyache, they may find themselves reconsidering their purchases. They're doing a good job of pushing the sweets now, but sooner or later it's gonna take a big chunk out of their pocketbook, and the pain will have a backlash.

01-12-11 09:58 AM
    Are you talking about the PlayBook? If so, I agree!

01-12-11 10:03 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how many minutes of HD streaming video would 500mb buy you?

A 720p video on my phone that is < 1 minute long is over 25 MB big.

That is why "4G" and "Unlimited Data" (or high data caps ... soft-caps, in some cases (T-Mobile) that way when you get to 5GB you may not be able to stream, but you can still get email/chat/etc. on your phone) are such a big deal.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-12-11 at 12:16 PM.
    01-12-11 12:13 PM
    Look belfastdispatcher, for what you do, compressed data is probably your thing. But for those who want a full web experience, can find it elsewhere. I like being able to go to a website with a fully functional browser. IF portability is my goal - which it is, then my phone can outdo my laptop on a single charge. I'm able to participate in my online class through my phone if I so desired. I'm not a laptop guy, even when I do own one. Also, I like being able to watch some video while I'm on an airplane or train, and not have to carry out something from an overhead bin. Instead I can view video, read my ebooks (the Kindle app rocks on Android, and I'm sure rocks on the iPhone as well) at the convenience of pulling something out of my pocket. I can actually save my laptop bag for better items per the hand carry rules.
    01-12-11 12:23 PM
    Wow BB loyalists have been more delusional these days. It's one "RIM has a mystery surprise device" thread after another despite no hint to even suggest it. And this is despite Mike L saying they weren't doing QNX smartphones anytime soon.

This is getting sad.
    1812dave, howarmat, iN8ter and 1 others like this.
    01-12-11 12:28 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD