OK... The OS is in the process of loading, it doesn't look like it should take so long...

After I try out the lock key / standby mode button, then what do I do?

If the problem is solved, then it means one of my apps is causing a problem?

If the problem isn't solved, what does it mean?

At what point do I start restoring all my files through BB desktop manager?
    08-23-10 02:37 AM
    In the initial rebooting process it quickly shot up to about two thirds of the way through, and now it's not progressing much, just waiting...
    08-23-10 02:42 AM
    OK... it seems the problem is with the OS, because the lock key only works to put the phone into standby, but not take it out...

Now what?
    08-23-10 02:45 AM
    OK... The OS is in the process of loading, it doesn't look like it should take so long...

After I try out the lock key / standby mode button, then what do I do?
    If they work, sweet - it's not the OS; fire up DM and do a restore.

If the problem is solved, then it means one of my apps is causing a problem?
    If you have apploader loading all your apps on with the OS and it works before doing a restore from DM, then probably not. If you have just the OS loading and no 3rd party apps, and the locks work before and after restoring settings, then it very well could be.

If the problem isn't solved, what does it mean?
    Here's where it could get fun. I'd try going back one, two, possibly 3 OS versions or installing a hybrid (don't unless you have no issue with hybrids) and seeing if the problem persists. If you absolutely cannot get it to work properly, get your carrier involved.

At what point do I start restoring all my files through BB desktop manager?
    After you try the lock keys with a clean install.
    08-23-10 02:46 AM
    OK... it seems the problem is with the OS, because the lock key only works to put the phone into standby, but not take it out...

Now what?
    And this is with a clean OS, no 3rd party apps and no settings restored?
    08-23-10 02:47 AM
    OK, so to install an older OS, do I need to do another full wipe, or just install the older OS on top of this one?
    08-23-10 02:48 AM
    nothing third party, just the basic stuff that comes with the OS...
    08-23-10 02:49 AM
    OK, so to install an older OS, do I need to do another full wipe, or just install the older OS on top of this one?
    Same process you just did, since there's a problem involved; otherwise I'd say personal preference.
    08-23-10 02:49 AM
    ok... I am going back to .680 OS.
    08-23-10 02:53 AM
    nothing third party, just the basic stuff that comes with the OS...
    Definitely the OS, since it works to lock the device only; my recommendation would be to install a previous OS. Just make sure to uninstall and restart before installing any OS to your PC, then restart again after installing.

I was hoping it was an app.
    08-23-10 02:53 AM
    Wait... what if i haven't been uninstalling the OS's from the PC?
    08-23-10 02:58 AM
    Wait... what if i haven't been uninstalling the OS's from the PC?
    Depends on who you ask; some people do, some don't. Apploader always knows which is the most recent, but I prefer to have just the one I'm using. Same thing with my themes - I only have the default and the one I'm using. Whenever I switch I delete and pull the battery, same thing with my OS installs. I've not really had much trouble with my BB's with that practice.
    And besides, this guy says to.

Also, the guide I like best also mentions removing unused versions.
    Last edited by genomos; 08-23-10 at 03:13 AM.
    08-23-10 03:06 AM
    Right now i have about 5 OS's installed on the PC... I've obviously never had a problem until now... And, I always install through AppLoader.

I'm just wondering, if I've done a full clean wipe (twice) and gone back 3 OS's and the problem isn't solved, what can the carrier possibly do that we haven't tried already?
    08-23-10 03:08 AM
    Right now i have about 5 OS's installed on the PC... I've obviously never had a problem until now... And, I always install through AppLoader.

I'm just wondering, if I've done a full clean wipe (twice) and gone back 3 OS's and the problem isn't solved, what can the carrier possibly do that we haven't tried already?
    Possible replacement, I'd be rather annoyed if my carrier left me with a device that didn't work properly.
    08-23-10 03:17 AM
    Wonderful.... Sounds like today is going to e a very long day...
    08-23-10 03:19 AM
    Wonderful.... Sounds like today is going to e a very long day...
    Even the longest day is only 86,400 seconds long.

Getting the extra OS's off your machine might actually do the trick, it's entirely possible that a registry key may have been off or mismatched with the proper OS, and just one key can mess up everything. I would uninstall all device software, restart, install the one you want to use (new or old), restart, and go from there.
    08-23-10 03:25 AM
    I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I'll try uninstalling all of the OS's. Which one should I put back on first? the newest? The last one that worked?
    08-23-10 03:28 AM
    Also wouldn't hurt - getting a registry cleaner to cut down on bit-rot and bad keys. I've used Registry Mechanic with great results; other people might have different recommendations.
    08-23-10 03:29 AM
    I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I'll try uninstalling all of the OS's. Which one should I put back on first? the newest? The last one that worked?
    Yes. Definitely.
    08-23-10 03:30 AM
    Is this to fix the registry on the BB or PC?

I use AVG anti-virus, Spybot and Ad-Aware on the PC. Does this proram do something different?
    08-23-10 03:32 AM
    I also use CC Cleaner
    08-23-10 03:33 AM
    Is this to fix the registry on the BB or PC?

I use AVG anti-virus, Spybot and Ad-Aware on the PC. Does this proram do something different?
    It's specifically designed for searching out keys in your registry that don't do anything or point in the wrong place, etc. Spybot has a fairly competent function built into it, but not as effective as Registry Mechanic IMO.
    08-23-10 03:35 AM
    I also use CC Cleaner
    Nice, been a few years since I've used that. Go for it, you got bases covered.
    08-23-10 03:36 AM
    It's a paid program, no?

ok, I tried .743 with no luck, going to uninstall that from the PC and move back to .680
    08-23-10 03:37 AM
    It's a paid program, no?
    Registry Mechanic? Yes; but offset by a free firewall and a $30/2yrs AV program. Also RM subscription covers 3 machines.

ok, I tried .743 with no luck, going to uninstall that from the PC and move back to .680
    That's not looking good.
    08-23-10 03:39 AM
116 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD