Yesterday I received an email that the LiveTracker beta has been started. It is a GPS tracking application for the BlackBerry which allows us to easily share the GPS location with out friends and buddies. I got it installed and running, looks small and simple but it works. Hence its is "0.1.5" now

Free Beta Test: LiveTracker for BlackBerry.

03-26-09 09:31 PM
    I installed the app but all it does in search for satellites. I have GPS enabled and BB maps finds satellites just great. I have a verizon 8330. I have also tried changing permissions to allow. Any thoughts?
    03-27-09 08:30 PM
    Unless you have the Storm, Verizon has the gps LOCKED to 3rd party apps except BBMaps and Verizon's own Navigator.

I would guess that to use this, you would need a bluetooth gps unit.
    03-27-09 09:53 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I forgot that verizon did that for ALL 3rd party apps. C'mon Verizon!!! Lighten up!
    03-27-09 09:58 PM
    I installed the app but all it does in search for satellites. I have GPS enabled and BB maps finds satellites just great. I have a verizon 8330. I have also tried changing permissions to allow. Any thoughts?
    Unless you have the Storm, Verizon has the gps LOCKED to 3rd party apps except BBMaps and Verizon's own Navigator.

i am having this same problem on the storm. i emailed support and all they told me was to make sure gps is enabled and it is allowed access by 3rd party application. i have the permissions for the application all set to allow, is there something else i have to do? i have other 3rd party apps that work fine with gps (google maps, poynt, trapster)
    03-30-09 11:30 AM

not true, verizon allowed 3rd party GPS apps for the storm a loooooooooooonggggggg time ago.... but ur right at first they didnt allow them other than BB Maps N VZ Nav
    03-30-09 11:42 AM
    I think you better re read what he said and then adjust your response. He said that Verizon opened the GPS on the storm to 3rd party apps but not other BB models...
    03-30-09 11:49 AM
    Is this the same as google latitude? Could you use this to draw a line of where you have been, for example to see how far you went on a jog? Also, is there an OTA link anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 12:40 PM
    My storm just sits on Searching for Satelites and I have everything set to allow it to access my GPS
    03-30-09 12:45 PM
    I think you better re read what he said and then adjust your response. He said that Verizon opened the GPS on the storm to 3rd party apps but not other BB models...
    yeah that was kind of the point. 3rd party apps should (and other do) work on the storm but this one does not.
    03-30-09 03:06 PM
    i am having this same problem on the storm. i emailed support and all they told me was to make sure gps is enabled and it is allowed access by 3rd party application. i have the permissions for the application all set to allow, is there something else i have to do? i have other 3rd party apps that work fine with gps (google maps, poynt, trapster)
    Options > Advanced Options > GPS

Change where it says 911 only to Enable
    03-30-09 03:08 PM
    Even with all GPS settings set properly, it doesn't work on the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 07:59 AM
    ^^^what he said
    04-03-09 09:13 AM
    I'm not able to get this to work on my Storm either...
    05-06-09 07:45 AM
    it works well on mine. what's the problem? the GPS fix does not come up?
    05-06-09 09:06 AM
    it works well on mine. what's the problem? the GPS fix does not come up?
    It just searches for sattelites, all settings ARE correct I assure you it just won't find a sat.

Randy T.
    05-08-09 07:41 AM
    anyone? Mine sits there saying "searching for satellites". Google maps work fine.
    05-09-09 05:20 PM
    My storm just sits on Searching for Satelites and I have everything set to allow it to access my GPS
    Same problem here, frankly I don't think it's a storm problem but a livetracker one. Instead of looking in to it we all get the same canned response about allowing GPS...well DUH.....

Randy T.
    05-29-09 03:29 PM
    anyone? Mine sits there saying "searching for satellites". Google maps work fine.
    Same problem here, frankly I don't think it's a storm problem but a livetracker one..

^^ what they said - come on SkyLab - make a fix for this.

EDIT: I emailed skylab's support - I told them the problems we are having with LiveTracker. They asked if I enabled the GPS on the phone - I replied that it is on and operational - google and twitter can find it. They replied:

Hello

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce your issue

--
    Best regards,
    Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd.

2912, Shell Tower, Times Square
    1 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by xanatos1; 07-02-09 at 11:05 AM.
    06-26-09 10:45 AM
    I am having this same problem and I have an 8310 AT&T/
    08-30-09 04:21 AM
    I too have all the GPS enabled as well as the permission set to allow and yet no contact with any satellites. I even was so dumb to buy the Mobiletracker App since it said it was compatible with the Storm 2. The fine print SHOULD have said that these will not work if you have Verizon. Here is Skylab's repsonse by the way:

Unfortunately, Verizon deactivated the built-in GPS receiver by default. For a monthly fee they may be able to activate it like they do with the 8703e.

But once the built-in GPS is activated it will work like on the 8800. Alternatively, you can purchase a Bluetooth GPS receiver, pair that device to your BlackBerry and Spot will also work with that.

--
    Best regards,
    Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd.

Anyone have a suggestion besides the obvious? Thanks in Advance.
    11-23-09 10:32 AM
    does anyone in this thread know where the directions are for livetracker? specifically SMS switch on and retrieval?
    04-21-10 08:19 AM
    I also have tried LiveTracker on my Storm 2 and it just sits searching for Satellites. Also wrote tech support...expecting to get "Tech Support" but got told that I need to refresh my GPS and that it would work. I replied saying that there is no refresh GPS option...so they sent me a copy of the Storm 2 manual. Uh, okay...obviosily they did not read the manual for it says that if using an external GPS receiver via bluetooth that you will have the Refresh GPS option. Their next reply was that this option must have been disabled by my carrier and that there is a problem with my internal GPS not talking to my BB and that I need to take it in....though, I guess it didn't matter that I stated (more than once) that GPSLogger, Google Latitude, and InstaMapper all work fine....somewhat disappointed that they were so quick to pass off as my device being broken or not reading the manual to know how to refresh GPS and totally dismiss that other GPS apps work fine. But at least I know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem with both the app and with their tech support.
    06-12-10 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD