Hey everybody,

Recently my little sister bought an 8520 without a dataplan, because we have wifi at our house. When she enters the wifi password, the phone says it's connected, but the little wifi icon at the top of the screen doesn't light up. When she starts up the browser it's extremely slow and seems to use GPRS. On my Bold 9700 the wifi icon lights up when the phone's connected and the browsing speed is perfect. Does anybody know what's going wrong with her phone? It's weird caus it's seems to say it's connected.

Also is it true that you can't use BBM without a dataplan? When i use her 8520 to message myself with BBM it gives an error message.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 06:24 PM
    White wifi icon = BIS over wifi. She has no data plan so she won't get bis over wifi.

Try switching the browser to hotspot browser in the options and see if it's better (you might as well set her default browser option to Hotspot since she doesn't have a data plan).
    04-02-10 06:33 PM
    You need BIS to get BBM (and most apps) to work.

WiFi logo has to be white, or the device won't be usint the hotspot to access the internet. If it's gray and slow, the device got to the hotspot, but not the internet.

Check the secutity settings of your hotspot. Change security and encription, I've seen reports that this got some phones to work with WiFi.

Good luck with that.
    04-02-10 06:38 PM
    Other options are updating router firmware, assign a static ip to the phone and add the phone's ip as the DMZ in the router settings.
    04-02-10 06:47 PM
    Other options are updating router firmware, assign a static ip to the phone and add the phone's ip as the DMZ in the router settings.
    Why? It worked instantly on my Bold.
    04-03-10 08:05 AM
    Why? It worked instantly on my Bold.
    btw, do u have blackberr internet service on ur bold...
    04-04-10 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD