Im the same way.. I'm leaving Blackberry after 8 years. I will no longer own a Blackberry in 1 month.
    12-29-10 05:16 AM
    To begin with the storm versions of anything is a serious fail. Rim should be ashamed of releasing such a horrendous device. Secondly your on Verizon who is pushing android and not even carrying any newer BB's. Don't blame RIM for what your carrier is doing.
    I have to kind of partially agree with this. Yes, RIM is to blame for the apparently problem-plagued Storm series. And I can certainly appreciate the OP's frustration over the bad experience he's had. Although I know a few owners of Storm2's who have nothing but good things to say about them, it seems a lot users have issues with their reliability and stability.

However, a lot of what product manufacturers such as RIM bring to market has to do with what they can negotiate and collaborate on with each carrier. As much as AT&T is bashed as a carrier (and undeservedly so in my opinion), they've got a great selection of solid BB's, topped off with the Torch, which has none of the problems the OP has described with his Storm. While RIM may be slow in coming around to the consumer market, their devices for the most part are solid and dependable, and I don't think the Storm series is a good representation of the rest of the BB line.

That being said, it would appear that RIM is giving the same commitment to Verizon as Verizon is giving to RIM -- very little. RIM is throwing a couple of models their way simply to maintain a presence with them, but Verizon is obviously throwing most of its eggs in the Android basket. To this point, RIM is smartly pointing more of its resources where they'll make the biggest bang, and that's with the most cooperative carriers.

OP, I'm sure there isn't much anyone can say at this point to change your mind. I would like to add that the Storm 3 is rumored to be coming out in a few months on Verizon, and it's got the potential to be a game-changer for RIM; though I can certainly understand not wanting to wait that long. Other than that, all I can do is wish you the best with whatever new device you go with and hope you have a better experience with it than your last one.
    12-29-10 06:34 AM
    Ive been back to blackberry from droid for about two months now. Droids are cumbersome the battery is terrible and nothing replaces having a GOOD physical keyboard. Im not talking about the crappy keyboard on the droid 2. They are fancy devices but it was so much more work just to do the things that are naturally easy on the bb. I understand your position being that you have a storm. That is not what blackberry does well. They never set out to make touch screen devices. You see the true purpose and use of a blackberry when you have the traditional form factor ala curve/bold/tour. If your main concern is with games and apps then you arent what RIM is designed for anyway. If you like flawless messaging, email and battery life and ease of use then RIM is for you. Good luck with your decision and if you end up liking droid better than we will be happy you found what works for you. P.S. have you tried to get verizon to trade out your storm 2 for a 9650 bold? just curious.
    12-29-10 07:21 AM
    Thanks everyone. Picked up the Incredible last night. So far; so good. I tried everything with the Storm2, including a complete wipe and OS install straight from Verizon's site. I need to be able to run some apps and depend on the device. I like the touchscreen form factor. Verizon is the only game in town where I live. I hope RIM offers something that will meet my needs someday. Today is not that day.

Mookster: it's a phrase I've thought a time or two over the years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 08:11 AM
    I have to agree with MRHIGHSpeed in regards to Storm 2. It's a piece of crap in my case. Crashes, reboots on its own, stupid keyboard freezes up, etc. I could just keep going. Some days I just want to throw it out my 2nd story office window onto the street below or do a mythbusters on it and blow it up. I'm just waiting until the first of Jan so I can get the bold.

I would like to answer capathy21's question about switching out to a bold with big red. I've tried for the last 2 months to do that and all they can say is that they have to replace it with another storm 2 and I told them no. I was even going to end my and my wife's contract with 12 months to go to switch to AT&T last week until I talked to this nice lady with customer service that said I could upgrade end of this week. I don't remember her name but she was very nice and understanding compared to everyone else that I had talked too.

I guess I should have kept my 8330.
    12-29-10 01:39 PM
    I got here really late but I've had the S1 and then the S2 and I'm a doctor that needs access to email/talk on an urgent basis - so my device needs to be pretty rock solid as well. I have not had any issues with it whatsoever to date. There are some apps that will not play nice and those along with some themes might be the main culprits (well at least most of the time barring a hardware issue).

Now that you have made the jump to android, do report back and let us know your experiences. If you decide to come back to the S2, let us know - I would love to try and help and see if we can get to where its reliable again.

Best of luck eitherways
    12-29-10 01:58 PM
    I had issues with my S1 that were mostly hardware based, but my S2 was rock solid. However once I went back to a keyboard BB, the 9650 I was MUCH happier, it's really the keyboard that makes the BB so special. I would REALLY love for Verizon to get a torch like device and if it could be LTE and have a QNX OS, OMG I would die!
    12-29-10 02:06 PM
    ive heard different things about the storm but i have a 9650 and havent had any problems (owned it for about 6 months now, used to have the 8330). i LOVE it. different phones work for different people. it all depends on your personal use and opinion. im just comfortable with the bb platform and the way the keyboard is layed out. not a fan of touch screens. good luck with the new device =]
    12-29-10 02:06 PM
    Thanks everyone. Picked up the Incredible last night. So far; so good. I tried everything with the Storm2, including a complete wipe and OS install straight from Verizon's site. I need to be able to run some apps and depend on the device. I like the touchscreen form factor. Verizon is the only game in town where I live. I hope RIM offers something that will meet my needs someday. Today is not that day.

Mookster: it's a phrase I've thought a time or two over the years.

Good luck with the Incredible...I know a good amount of people that own these phones and they love everything about them except the battery life. I've never met a Droid Incredible owner that didn't hate the battery life. Hope you have a different experience.
    12-29-10 02:24 PM
    To begin with the storm versions of anything is a serious fail. Rim should be ashamed of releasing such a horrendous device. Secondly your on Verizon who is pushing android and not even carrying any newer BB's. Don't blame RIM for what your carrier is doing.
    Don't blame RIM? So who else should you blame for creating ****ty devices that VZW doesn't want to carry? RIM has the 9650. It is part of the flagship Bold series. It is one the their best devices.

You blame VZW for RIM not coming out with anything better and sees more money to be made off of other platforms? No, that is RIMs problems. They are the ones that need to convince the carrier to carry their products. Not the other way around. RIM isn't Apple.

RIM wanted to release a refresh of the Storm 2 with OS 6 on VZW. Sorry, but paired next to the Android devices, it looks like garbage.
    syb0rg and K Bear like this.
    12-29-10 02:40 PM
    Don't blame RIM? So who else should you blame for creating ****ty devices that VZW doesn't want to carry? RIM has the 9650. It is part of the flagship Bold series. It is one the their best devices.

You blame VZW for RIM not coming out with anything better and sees more money to be made off of other platforms? No, that is RIMs problems. They are the ones that need to convince the carrier to carry their products. Not the other way around. RIM isn't Apple.

RIM wanted to release a refresh of the Storm 2 with OS 6 on VZW. Sorry, but paired next to the Android devices, it looks like garbage.
    Gotta agree here. Research in Motion makes the phones, and the carriers decide if they are going to sport them or not, or even place bids for exclusive rights to the phone. If Big Red feels that RIM isn't making a phone worth carrying how is the their fault. They didn't make the phone.

As far as the Blackberry > android switch, it's a big jump. and android isn't for everyone. As far as the battery life goes you can do a few things that help. like AVT123 mentioned get a bigger battery and it will help. And if you should decided to root the phone you can use setCPU to turn down the processor to help conserve battery, when the battery gets to a certain point or if you have the screen off. Like my phone runs @ 1.2Ghrz when i am higher that 85% then kicks down to 1.0Ghrz between 84% and 30% percent and runs at like 628Mhrz when the screen is off and it's GREATLY increased my battery life.
    12-29-10 02:57 PM
    My 8330 was fantastic. Processing power, no touchscreen, and low app space were why I moved to the Storm2. Along with reliability, these are my reasons for getting the DROID.

My sister is a doc in the USAF, currently in Iraq. She's hoping to swap her Storm2 when she comes back. I guess I expected RIM to knock this one out of the park. Instead, they missed what's good about touchscreen while losing what's good about Blackberry.

12-29-10 03:07 PM
    The newer blackberries can't hold a candle to any of the newer smartphones coming with any of the other OSes. Even a Palm Pre+/Pixi+ is better. What Blackberry does better, it does better, but there are lots of consumers and the devices aren't keeping up with consumer demands and expectations.

The only time Blackberry is better is if you feel you need BBM or need it for work. Other than that, there are no huge advantages. The OS is worse, the phones are worse, and as a developer... I could not bear to develop for RIM devices. Works on a Curve, fails on a Bold... Thanks, but no thanks.

RIM needs to make modern phones with modern hardware.

There are no carriers that push Blackberry, except maybe [ EDIT: ] Centennial Wireless here, who don't even have 3G IIRC. Actually, scratch that. Last time I was there they were pushing the Motorola i1 in my face...

Sprint and T-Mobile stores don't even look at Windows Mobile 6.x or RIM smartphones when you're in there. AT&T didn't even offer me a Torch when I was in there, and it was like... release day. They did whip out an HTC Tilt, though - shockingly... Verizon always pushes their Droids (the Droid X is a sweet piece of hardware... I almost want to change carriers to get it, but I'm waiting to see which CDMA WP7 phones will get released - tired of Android fragmentation).

The fact and the matter is this... If RIM's phones were not so terrible, then there would be a reason for me to buy one, because I would know more than one person I could BBM. But the phones are bad.

And while they wait for dual core processors and all this other humbug, people will be switching to iOS, WP7, and Android devices - giving others even less reasons to continue using RIM devices, or consider them in the future. They are cannibalizing their own user base, IMO, and from watching that interview not long ago they really don't seem to care.

By the time BB releases their dual core phones, other manufacturers will have had their dual core phones out for MONTHS.

Also making the Playbook dependent on a RIM smartphone pretty much killed my chances of getting one. I was sure I would get one, until I round that out.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-01-11 at 11:20 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    12-29-10 11:45 PM
    My 2 cents here...I've had a lot of phones over the past 15 years. I've had different BB's, an iPhone, and numerous other brands. None compare to BB and once in a while I try another brand but keep coming back. My current BB is a Curve 8530 with Virgin Mobile. As I read these forums, I see that some look down at the "entry level" BB's. Have to admit, first time I've heard that term. I also read of many people having trouble with their "high end" devices. Maybe its a good reminder that more isn't always better.

I'm loving my Curve and it works flawlessly. Maybe some of you should go back to the "basics" again and give it a shot.
    12-31-10 08:06 PM
    In my case, "basics" no longer offered everything I wanted. When the things I wanted were available, I went for them. I hoped the Storm2 would live up to previous devices. No such luck.

So, I found what I wanted somewhere else.
    12-31-10 10:43 PM
    Well, I'm on AT&T (have no problem whatsoever with them), and sport a BB 9700 and the Nexus One. I concur with others that if you are going the Android route, it is best to buy an extended battery. Love the device, but whereas my 9700's battery lasts days (I kid you not), the Nexus, not so much. They are two very different experiences, and I enjoy them both. Good luck with your new device!
    PS: I think that BB is going to undergo a huge change in the next year or so, should be interesting.
    01-01-11 05:02 PM
    My 2 cents here...I've had a lot of phones over the past 15 years. I've had different BB's, an iPhone, and numerous other brands. None compare to BB and once in a while I try another brand but keep coming back. My current BB is a Curve 8530 with Virgin Mobile. As I read these forums, I see that some look down at the "entry level" BB's. Have to admit, first time I've heard that term. I also read of many people having trouble with their "high end" devices. Maybe its a good reminder that more isn't always better.

I'm loving my Curve and it works flawlessly. Maybe some of you should go back to the "basics" again and give it a shot.
    My needs are pretty basic. I have the Curve 3G. 90 % of my usage is phone calls,texting,calendar appts,GPS using Google Maps and Poynt. It's perfect for me. The speakerphone is very loud, great when I'm driving a noisy truck.

01-01-11 05:17 PM
    In my case, "basics" no longer offered everything I wanted. When the things I wanted were available, I went for them. I hoped the Storm2 would live up to previous devices. No such luck.

So, I found what I wanted somewhere else.
    Just out of curiosity, what features were you looking for? BTW, I had a Storm once and hated it.
    01-01-11 06:12 PM
    I was looking for a touchscreen device that was reliable, with a decent processor, decent memory, and the ability to run plenty of apps. Not a package that is available on Blackberry.
    01-01-11 08:00 PM
    I rock a BB 9700 and my carrier is T-Mobile. I have had issues with my first BB 8320 and my 9700. Both times it was a hardware problem and T-Mobile sent me replacements that did NOT go against my BB Insurance. When I experienced dropped calls, all it took was a SIM card replacement. I am very happy with my RIM product and despite all the negative stuff I read about T-Mobile they have gone out of their way to help me. They even went so far as to call BlackBerry Support and I was on a three-way trouble-shooting call with T-Mobile and RIM.

I am happy.

01-01-11 08:50 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD