I will beat this donkey into the afterlife, I don't care.
    I picked up the Keyone finally (literally; I didn't buy one...just picked it up) and I felt a soulless phone. Jk. Happy for those in the market and picked it up.
    I am not in that market....I tried. I want to be.
    REBOOT

Take note of Apple continuing their focus on their smaller 5s model....SE v2 coming out soon.

1. ReMake and Reboot BBOS

-Bring out BB Q10 2nd Gen and call it whatever you want. But just use that phones dimensions for sizing.
    -Outsource the build and design to whoever you want but make it NA or Euro build - the added costs of the build will restore the premium-build persona. Plus we aren't building this phone for the masses (relatively speaking).
    -Mid range line of phones that are fast, zippy with premium, useful build with a battery that will compare with the top batteries out there in phones and excel with decreased specs.
    The Keyboard should be comfortable and fluid. Forget nostalgic click sounds of old. Go premium comfortable feel with speed still the focus. The keyboard is about deliberate and accurate communication.
    Like Q10, touch screen and no trackpad. Oh and add 1/8 inch to length of screen for good measure.
    Sacrifices can be made in camera (forget 4k!), app support, and resolution of screen. Capture niche market and then start to slowly grow or at least stay relevant.

2. Change in house App build to RIM Apps.
    Focus on apps that specifically enhance the phone and the niche that uses it. Unique screen size, PKB buttons, communication... Forget trying to include the top 10 apps available on Apple/Android Appworlds.

3. Oh and fire Chen. The man is amazing but not for this new direction. Would it kill to have someone lead or speak on BB behalf with a little bonhomie and enthusiasm?

4. Redefine your market. Redefine the market. Market phone as the sport watch of the watch world. Comfort, durable, reliable and built surprisingly well. No Rolex here.
    Forget business! Forget marketing to business and the guy in the black suit walking into his office. The common person wants privacy, and security. Market as suggested and the business people will come. They are smart enough to know what they want. Just a reminder.
    ADD kicking in: Is there an app that you can type that will auto translate to 'chosen' language yet? Like it appears magically on your own screen in Mandarin as you type in English? You also would hold the touch screen to review it in English before sending? Yeah I know what I wrote is in the letter box but I can't see all the words I wrote

5. In five years of steady growth, release an el cheapo PKB phone for kids <12. Create app called FamilyPatch or Goldilocks and allow kid(s) phone(s) to connect to "Mama and Papa bear's" Blackberrys for family communication only. No cross communication with other kids' el cheapo phones. Add some stupid colourful games for teaching kids proper grammar or math or whatever.
    Sell a trillion of those and live happily ever after.

See. Easy
    You're welcome.
    Lights cigarette...no wait, I don't smoke.
    *Drops microphone

The FUTURE... (Twilight zone music playing)

Help pick a name for the kids phone to be released by Blackberry and win up to 3 of said phones absolutely free for your own kids. Draw will take place August 21, 2026

Bonus Free Blackberry T4 if you know which poster suggested the brilliant idea of the App Goldilocks? Draw date August 30th, 2026.

Blackberry T4 Vas is Das???
    (the T is for trust. And it is symmetrical in shape. Bonus) The Q wasn't symmetrical. I didn't trust Q on Star Trek, nor did I for Blackberrys.
    anon(9742832) and zephyr613 like this.
    08-21-17 04:33 PM
    you're not beating on the donkey. You're beating on the 6 feet of earth covering the donkey hoping it will resurrect like a zombie.
    08-21-17 06:14 PM
    How are you going to get those top 10 apps again?

How much will you pay for this phone?

And I see the suggestion, and the delusion. Where is the "lil reality"?

The poor donkey. He's mostly dust now. For donkey's sake, let him rest.
    08-21-17 06:28 PM
    John Hammond couldn't even bring this donkey back to life.
    08-21-17 09:38 PM
    Even the Night King's touch would fail to reanimate THAT donkey.

A lil suggestion. A lil reality. A lil delusion.-nintchdbpict000346067651.jpg
    08-21-17 10:35 PM
    These strategies should have been adopted at the turning point when Android was launched! They made really bad decisions at that time! The demise of bbos10 was because of this! It's a shame because the future of Blackberry could have been so much more today than ever! But we have to move on and the KeyOne speaks volumes on where it's future lies!!!
    08-21-17 11:43 PM
    A "little" delusion is being modest. A "little" reality is exaggerating.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    08-22-17 12:23 AM
    Q10 size is pretty ideal... until you try to squeeze a thumb into touch only navigation... gotta have the trackpad/toolbelt to mitigate tiny screen mandated by small sized PKB handset. Q10 was abysmal failure. Lack of trackpad/toolbelt was one of the reasons. Imo.

Equally compact and superbly ergonomic toolbelt equipped 9900 was demonstrably BB's longest running success story. Revive 9900 patterned chassis and stuff its GUI into whatever droid flavor you can and market a truly distinctive compact productivity niche! Imo. Fwiw. .02?? Lol.

But hey, we who actually use the things have been begging for that for over half a decade... BB, like many here, are convinced bigger is better and never big enough... lol. Maybe the Key2 will come equipped with wheels for carrying...??? lol.
    08-22-17 07:52 AM
    you're not beating on the donkey. You're beating on the 6 feet of earth covering the donkey hoping it will resurrect like a zombie.
    Hahaha ...made my day!
    08-22-17 01:11 PM
    Equally compact and superbly ergonomic toolbelt equipped 9900 was demonstrably BB's longest running success story. Revive 9900 patterned chassis and stuff its GUI into whatever droid flavor you can and market a truly distinctive compact productivity niche! Imo. Fwiw. .02?? Lol.

But hey, we who actually use the things have been begging for that for over half a decade... BB, like many here, are convinced bigger is better and never big enough... lol. Maybe the Key2 will come equipped with wheels for carrying...??? lol.
    Won't ever happen. Android doesn't support the tiny screen or low resolution such a tiny phone would require, and Android is the only viable OS option. But even if that wasn't true, the market for such a phone is so tiny that it's not economically viable to cater to it. Smartphones are too complex to be viable unless you can move half a million units or more.
    08-22-17 01:21 PM
    The biggest reason that this won't happen is that there will be minimal ECONOMIC profits in traditional mobile phone hardware. Sure, there will be large profits in gross numbers, but when one adds in the capital investments required to attain those profits by companies like Apple and Samsung, it's much less on a percentage return on capital than the Enterprise software market that BlackBerry is targeting.

In short, it's a huge investment, with lots of risk and little potential for return.

Apple and Samsung are so large that they need to chase large markets to generate healthy profits. BlackBerry does not, and should not.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-22-17 03:24 PM
    The biggest reason that this won't happen is that there will be minimal ECONOMIC profits in traditional mobile phone hardware. Sure, there will be large profits in gross numbers, but when one adds in the capital investments required to attain those profits by companies like Apple and Samsung, it's much less on a percentage return on capital than the Enterprise software market that BlackBerry is targeting.

In short, it's a huge investment, with lots of risk and little potential for return.

Apple and Samsung are so large that they need to chase large markets to generate healthy profits. BlackBerry does not, and should not.

So that means BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) SHOULD keep on developing qwerty phones that cater to the niche instead of trying to hit a jackpot with slabs
    08-22-17 03:44 PM
    So that means BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) SHOULD keep on developing qwerty phones that cater to the niche instead of trying to hit a jackpot with slabs
    LOL.

If TCL/BlackBerry Mobile doesn't bring slab phones to market with the BlackBerry brand then they're not even trying to make a profit.

I think it makes sense for them to produce one or two PKBs a year because, with BlackBerry's patents, they at least have the potential to claim an exclusive niche. But it's hard to see that generating profits at a scale that would matter to TCL.

They need 2-5 slabs at different price points along side the PKB to compete along side the LGs, Motorolas, and Samsungs of the world.

08-22-17 03:53 PM
    They need 2-5 slabs at different price points along side the PKB to compete along side the LGs, Motorolas, and Samsungs of the world.

That's if they have the necessary resources to develop slabs that can compete with the other top brands as far as specs and innovative functions.
    08-22-17 04:07 PM
    That's if they have the necessary resources to develop slabs that can compete with the other top brands as far as specs and innovative functions.
    80,000 employees
    $16.5 Billion in sales
    $6.5 Billion in Market Cap
    11th largest consumer electronics company
    Manufacture 1/3 of all televisions in the world

Just about the 1000th largest company in the world

Not nearly the size of Samsung, but they should be able to fund their strategy. Execution will be the bigger challenge, IMO.

08-22-17 04:22 PM
    Not nearly the size of Samsung, but they should be able to fund their strategy. Execution will be the bigger challenge, IMO.

What could be exciting is if they develop a slab that also comes with a PKB attachment (much like the S8) but that the bottom of the slab's body is curved in a way that when the PKB is clipped on (moto Z style mod) it can look like part of the phone, as if it came that way (which is NOT the case on the S8). A bonus would be an Amoled display, so that when the PKB is attached, the pixels hidden by it remain off for a boost in battery life.
    08-22-17 04:28 PM
    What could be exciting is if they develop a slab that also comes with a PKB attachment (much like the S8) but that the bottom of the slab's body is curved in a way that when the PKB is clipped on (moto Z style mod) it can look like part of the phone, as if it came that way (which is NOT the case on the S8). A bonus would be an Amoled display, so that when the PKB is attached, the pixels hidden by it remain off for a boost in battery life.
    Those are interesting ideas.

08-22-17 04:38 PM
    Even chasing a niche has to be worthwhile financially. The smaller the niche, the smaller your chances for success.
    08-22-17 05:01 PM
    Won't ever happen. Android doesn't support the tiny screen or low resolution such a tiny phone would require, and Android is the only viable OS option. But even if that wasn't true, the market for such a phone is so tiny that it's not economically viable to cater to it. Smartphones are too complex to be viable unless you can move half a million units or more.

You're saying Android no longer supports 640x480?

All any of us can do is conjecture about potential market size. Dissatisfaction with handset size trends can be found pretty readily, imo.
    08-22-17 06:38 PM
    +++^^

Now, if we carry that a step further and stowed the kb in front of the lower portion of screen as a slider... ??
    08-22-17 06:43 PM
    80,000 employees
    $16.5 Billion in sales
    $6.5 Billion in Market Cap
    11th largest consumer electronics company
    Manufacture 1/3 of all televisions in the world

Just about the 1000th largest company in the world

Sure dwarfs poor little RIM/BBRY...
    08-22-17 06:46 PM

BB has never been the quickest with software dev. They're betting their life on hoping software giants like Google or Apple don't barge into Enterprise software at will...
    08-22-17 06:50 PM
    Even chasing a niche has to be worthwhile financially. The smaller the niche, the smaller your chances for success.
    Depends on the definition of success... Pretty slim chance they'll manage to market a better, bigger, cheaper, Samsung killer. BB's branding credibility is somewhat damaged. Even if they stamped BB brand onto Samsung's best seller, it might not find much success... One path to restoring credibility is establishing dominance in SOME niche. SOMEthing you can be known for being best at. Samsung hasn't shown much interest in compactness. They've shown less interest in PKB. Both niches BB can readily dominate, establish creds and build from.
    08-22-17 07:10 PM
    BB has never been the quickest with software dev. They're betting their life on hoping software giants like Google or Apple don't barge into Enterprise software at will...
    Sure it's a crowded field, but they have a head start in EMM. Every industry is competitive, but EMM/cybersecurity is a much faster growing industry with much better margins.

08-22-17 08:31 PM
    +++^^

Now, if we carry that a step further and stowed the kb in front of the lower portion of screen as a slider... ??
    You mean Priv 2? I'm sure we'd really like that, but I'm trying to be realistic since many here don't think they'll fork out the money to develop another slider so I was going the all slab route
    08-23-17 12:44 AM
34 12