MODS: I filed this under General since it has hardware, software, phone and tablet components. Not really sure where it should go!

Having searched the forums, I only found one thread pertaining to the licensing of QNX but it didn't really answer the question I have nor explore the topic in the direction I was hoping. So, here goes..

QNX, as discussed here Licensing QNX, is prevalent within several sectors of consumer products. Blackberry Tablet OS was built upon the QNX architecture with the idea that it will be ported to Blackberry phones. Similarly, Android is also starting to be rolled into fridges, airliners, etc.

My question, I believe, is both simple and complex (and hope you read it as such): Should RIM offer QNX based Tablet OS and/or Phone OS to other hardware manufactures? As QNX is already within many products (e.g., cars), does RIM have plans to push this kind of OS to other devices?

Blackberry's most recent crop of phones has finally caught up with competition in terms of specs but are only competing with the last generation of iPhone/Android devices (e.g., single cores, etc.). They have always appeared to lag behind in the hardware of their devices, perhaps because their BBOS didn't need the resources? With QNX Tablet OS, they have developed an OS that is capable of utilizing the current leading hardware. And I think Kevin pointed out at the end of this article Playbook Production Halted that RIM may choose to shop Tablet OS around (hopefully instead of killing it!).

The Android OS has seen market penetration through several device manufactures of both low end and high end handsets/tablets. What's to think that offering QNX based Tablet OS/Phone OS to manufactures like Samsung will not increase Blackberry's market share with consumers? I believe that Android's success can partially be attributed to the availability of products running the OS. On the flip side, many of them may not be stellar devices but that is a part of consumer choice.

I understand that RIM puts a lot of time into developing their hardware, they have the BEST keyboard on the market! But it sometimes seems like there has been a disconnect between the hardware and device OS teams in many of their products or too much focus on the hardware and lack of vision in the importance of innovating on the software side. Maybe the Playbook is a look into the future of hardware/software compatibility for RIM? Focusing on developing software would certainly reduce RIM's overhead and allow them to facilitate more resources towards developing their OS.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide some points for discussion. I really don't think RIM will ever be competitive on the hardware front. For example, will we ever see a Blackberry phone running a qHD Super AMOLED Plus display? Probably not anytime soon, but Android has several to choose from. I can't help but feel giddy thinking about seeing TabletOS/PhoneOS on a Samsung Galaxy S II device!

So, let me know what you think. Is the fragmentation of the Android platform warning enough not to try it? Should RIM venture into this idea within the tablet space and continue making proprietary handsets?
    10-01-11 12:31 PM
    Android can be fragmented/forked because it is open source and developers are free to do practically whatever they like with it. Tablet OS is closed source so this is not possible.

That being said, I don't believe that RIM has any interest in licensing Tablet OS or anything for that matter to another hardware vendor.
    10-01-11 12:48 PM
    They wanna go the Apple route. Not license their software to other manufacturers.

They'd rather come out with their own phones and tablets and have those sell. That's where they'll make more money. Plus the thing with licensing software is that as fast as it goes up. Can just as easily go down that quick.

I really think Android is going to dramatically lose marketshare some time soon. Especially if Samsung chooses to make it's own OS or other software. Right now it's got WP7, Tizen, bada, and Android in it's lineup.

They might be moving away from Android. Especially since Android manufacturers have to pay Microsoft a 5 dollar royalty for each phone. The future doesn't look so great for it.

But depends how Google plays their cards. If things go the way they're going now. I can see Android losing alot of marketshare in like 2 years. Especially with the rise of QNX and WP7 this year/beginning of 2012. And then whatever Samsung comes out with.

So not a good idea. But they certainly can. I just doubt it.
    10-01-11 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD