I was at the doctor's office today and had my phone set to vibrate. My phone went off anyway, rather loudly actually, and the culprit was a normal email message coming in. I checked my profile settings and realized that I needed to change settings in advanced to turn off notifications for email, SMS, etc. I didn't realize all that was set separately for each profile.

I really only want the phone to vibrate or ring whenever I get a phone call, and possibly a message from someone I deem to be an important person. Which leads me to my question: How do I set the latter? I noticed there are settings for "Level 1 Messages" and after reading searches it appears that I need to set up what those are in the Desktop Manager -- but the posts and web pages I found in Google were rather dated. All of them referred to doing this in Desktop Manager under something called "Redirector Settings" -- but I can't find anything like that in my Desktop Manager. Those pages also mentioned you could set up "filters" so you determined who was an "important person".

Looking at the "advanced" screen on my Blackberry, I noticed there is an exception listed on all profiles for "important calls", plus two others for people I set up custom ring tones for in the address book. How does the Blackberry determine what is an "important call", which I'm presuming is the same as "level 1"? I can't find it in the Desktop Manager, so I'm wondering whether software changes over the years have changed this.

I've waded through the user manual and didn't find it particularly helpful. I found a reference to making PIN messages Level 1 but found nothing else about these. The manual also has a reference to a preloaded notification profile for important calls and says you can "add contacts to this notification profile exception, or you can delete it" (8330 Curve Manual, p.204). I was able to figure out how to add names to that exception list after some experimentation. I still am not really sure what a Level 1 message is, however. And if I do add someone to the "important caller" list, will that always trigger a notification regardless of profile?

Very confused here.
    Last edited by wbailey; 07-16-08 at 11:06 AM. Reason: changed title to reflect topic better
    07-15-08 03:21 PM
    I use email filters to forward messages from key individuals as level 1. I have all my profiles (except for quiet) set to vibrate for level 1 messages. I also have all my profiles set to vibrate in holster and ring out of holster for phone calls. No other activity triggers any alert. So if the phone vibes, I know it's either an important email or a phone call.

I use three profiles:
    Quiet: no alerts of any kind for any reason
    Phone only: phone vibes in holster, rings out of holster, no other alerts of any kind for any reason
    Normal: phone vibes in holster, rings out of holster, level 1 messages vibe
    07-15-08 10:28 PM
    As Jeff said, you can make whatever you want Level 1. Just play with it, and you'll find the right settings for you. Welcome to CB. Post if you have any more questions or concerns.
    07-15-08 10:32 PM
    Thanks so much, JeffH and Crucial! This helps a lot. I wish the Blackberry manual was clearer on this topic.

Just to clarify: Level 1 messages refers to email only, right? Not phone calls or SMS messages?

Also, I had special ring tones associated with two contacts. Since adding these people to my "important caller" list I no longer have the box checked for the special ring tone for them. In the important caller area, there is a check box for having a particular ringtone. I don't have that box checked at all, but it now appears that if I put these contacts in the important caller list, the distinctive ringtones go away. They are still listed next to these two exceptions, but the box is grayed out now and unchecked, and I can't figure out how to restore it. I've found the special ringtones helpful as they let me know who is calling before I even look at the screen.

Any idea if I can have both of these things functional?
    07-16-08 11:01 AM
    I just remembered one more confusing things with the profiles -- there is a setting for browser in there. What on earth does that do???? It isn't like a calendar where you'd get an alert. I just selected none because I didn't know why you'd have a tone or vibrate associated with that application. Seemed bizarre to me!
    07-16-08 11:05 AM
    Thanks so much, JeffH and Crucial! This helps a lot. I wish the Blackberry manual was clearer on this topic.

Just to clarify: Level 1 messages refers to email only, right? Not phone calls or SMS messages?

Also, I had special ring tones associated with two contacts. Since adding these people to my "important caller" list I no longer have the box checked for the special ring tone for them. In the important caller area, there is a check box for having a particular ringtone. I don't have that box checked at all, but it now appears that if I put these contacts in the important caller list, the distinctive ringtones go away. They are still listed next to these two exceptions, but the box is grayed out now and unchecked, and I can't figure out how to restore it. I've found the special ringtones helpful as they let me know who is calling before I even look at the screen.

Any idea if I can have both of these things functional?
    I just remembered one more confusing things with the profiles -- there is a setting for browser in there. What on earth does that do???? It isn't like a calendar where you'd get an alert. I just selected none because I didn't know why you'd have a tone or vibrate associated with that application. Seemed bizarre to me!
    You have the option of using Level 1 notification for Emails and Pins. There doesn't appear to be a way to associate Level 1 with SMS messages.

I have not used custom ringtones. Maybe someone else can check that further.

I set the browser notification to none in all my profiles. I don't know what it might be used for, I just know I don't want it doing anything.
    07-16-08 12:50 PM
    wait so if I set my profile to vibrate......it will ring for things other then the phone? or will it vibrate regardless?
    07-16-08 01:01 PM
    wait so if I set my profile to vibrate......it will ring for things other then the phone? or will it vibrate regardless?
    Each factory loaded profile addresses all the possible events and has a default activity associated with each. You can change any of these. So you can assign a vibe+ring to a calendar alert, an email, a phone call, etc. It's all customizable by you, for both in-holster and out-of-holster.
    07-16-08 01:05 PM
    I have another question... for some reason, when I send a message in Gmail, it gives me an alert - a little icon pops up and it goes into my email messages as a new message. I have shut off every "save sent" and "delivery confirmation" option I could find - under Profiles/Advanced, and Email (general etc).

How do I get that off my screen forever??

Thanks!
    Jadey
    08-16-08 01:34 PM
    I have another question... for some reason, when I send a message in Gmail, it gives me an alert - a little icon pops up and it goes into my email messages as a new message. I have shut off every "save sent" and "delivery confirmation" option I could find - under Profiles/Advanced, and Email (general etc).

How do I get that off my screen forever??

Thanks!
    Jadey
    I don't use GMail, but this thread may address what you are talking about: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    08-16-08 01:58 PM
    That was perfect - thank you!! (Can't believe I didn't find that one myself... but THANKS!)
    08-16-08 02:38 PM
    I use email filters to forward messages from key individuals as level 1. I have all my profiles (except for quiet) set to vibrate for level 1 messages. I also have all my profiles set to vibrate in holster and ring out of holster for phone calls. No other activity triggers any alert. So if the phone vibes, I know it's either an important email or a phone call.

I use three profiles:
    Quiet: no alerts of any kind for any reason
    Phone only: phone vibes in holster, rings out of holster, no other alerts of any kind for any reason
    Normal: phone vibes in holster, rings out of holster, level 1 messages vibe
    Yep pretty much have the same setup.....

08-16-08 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD