Letter to RIM,

There has been quite a lot of naysayers regarding the future viability of RIM. Myself for one. I have reflected on it and now say most of my discontent stems from the one fact that you brought out the Torch, (Full Size Touch Screen) only to ATT.

This was a slap in the face to All the other loyal Blackberry fans on all the other cellualr providers. Who have waited patiently for such a BB.

I must admit that obviously I'm not privy to all the wheeling, dealing and best ways for RIM to make and increase its profits. But for the life of me, I simply cannot unstand why you closed off the Torch to ATT.

I cannot believe that you wouldn't have made more profits and in roads to other non BB'rs than if you'd made Torch available to all carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 07:48 AM
    Complain to T-Mobile, if they wanted to sell it, they could have. They chose not to.
    04-22-11 08:30 AM
    Unfortunately it's simply the way things work. Carriers strike a deal to be the exclusive provider of a particular model they think will be popular. How long were you only able to get an iPhone on AT&T? The Storm isn't available on any carrier other than VZW, and the new Style is a Sprint exclusive. Droid2 is only available on VZW... You get the idea.
    04-22-11 08:47 AM
    It's a carrier decision as to wether they sell any given phone from any given manufacturer.

The only real criterion is GSM vs CDMA. In this case, the 9800 could not be sold by a CDMA carrier becaise there was no 9830 variant.

Your gripe is clearly with the carriers and not with RIM. Many, many carriers outside the US have opted to sell the Torch. In the US however, it seems that only AT&T picked it up.
    04-22-11 08:58 AM
    Exculsivity deals have been around for years. That's how each carrier gets an advantage over the others. Like AT&T having the iPhone for 4yrs before it came to Verizon, Verizon with the Storm, etc... That wont change anytime soon, no matter how many letters you write.
    04-22-11 10:06 AM
    Come to UK and you can buy it on any carrier lol, it's only exclusive to on in US

04-22-11 10:49 AM
    It's a carrier decision as to wether they sell any given phone from any given manufacturer.

The only real criterion is GSM vs CDMA. In this case, the 9800 could not be sold by a CDMA carrier becaise there was no 9830 variant.

Your gripe is clearly with the carriers and not with RIM. Many, many carriers outside the US have opted to sell the Torch. In the US however, it seems that only AT&T picked it up.

What other great options has Rim provided for other carriers?
    04-22-11 11:03 AM
    From what I understand the Torch was a joint effort between RIM and BB. It was not BBs exclusive idea. Thus it got looked into its co-creator, ATT.

I just hope that the exclusive right deal with ATT sunsets sometime so that the rest of
    us on CDMA and other networks can enjoy what I consider the missing link
    in the BB lineup.

Tim
    04-22-11 11:59 AM
    From what I understand the Torch was a joint effort between RIM and BB. It was not BBs exclusive idea. Thus it got looked into its co-creator, ATT.

I just hope that the exclusive right deal with ATT sunsets sometime so that the rest of
    us on CDMA and other networks can enjoy what I consider the missing link
    in the BB lineup.

Tim
    Lol, you do know Rim and BB are the same people don't you?

04-22-11 01:34 PM
    Lol, you do know Rim and BB are the same people don't you?

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE, I just noticed that. TOO funny . I needed that today.
    04-22-11 01:44 PM
    Letter to RIM,

There has been quite a lot of naysayers regarding the future viability of RIM. Myself for one. I have reflected on it and now say most of my discontent stems from the one fact that you brought out the Torch, (Full Size Touch Screen) only to ATT.

This was a slap in the face to All the other loyal Blackberry fans on all the other cellualr providers. Who have waited patiently for such a BB.

I must admit that obviously I'm not privy to all the wheeling, dealing and best ways for RIM to make and increase its profits. But for the life of me, I simply cannot unstand why you closed off the Torch to ATT.

I cannot believe that you wouldn't have made more profits and in roads to other non BB'rs than if you'd made Torch available to all carriers.

I believe T threw a ton of money at RIM and shared development in the torch. You need to write RIM about their slow product launches and buggy software.

04-23-11 04:03 AM

Tim
    My favorite.
    04-24-11 01:45 PM
    From what I understand the Torch was a joint effort between RIM and BB. It was not BBs exclusive idea.

LMAO!! And it sounded so factual
    04-25-11 04:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD