So after a tiring search of these forums and the internet in general I have come to realize that there is no possibility at this time for free turn by turn voice guided GPS for the Storm 2. Right now I am using Google Maps which will serve my purpose but it is not turn by turn. I know that telmap may be aquired for free because I was using it on my 8900. If anyone knows anything regarding FREE turn by turn let's talk about it here because I am sure a lot of people are looking for something!
    05-19-10 08:42 PM
    I think BB Maps should offer this.
    05-19-10 08:44 PM
    It should - but it doesn't. When it launched many years back, it was cutting edge. No other platform included anything like it. Nowadays its at the back of the line. Most crackberrians actually remove the application. Wouldn't it be a boon to BB and RIM if thier native application was once again competing with other platforms? Its a dream I have. A dream where e-mail is never truncated, and HTML e-mail flows freely, the calendar icon updates with the date, and ringtones and alerts play through headphones. Oh but a boy can dream can't he?
    Last edited by 1magine; 05-19-10 at 09:59 PM.
    05-19-10 09:15 PM
    We used to have Amaze but they did away with the FREE stuff .

You can try this.
    05-19-10 10:43 PM

You can try this.
    u think this will work on the storm 2 even tho it says only curve/bold/bold 2 i reg. with the curve 2 just to see if i get a code
    05-19-10 10:50 PM
    I dunno, it might. It's worth a shot I guess.
    05-19-10 11:21 PM
    I found an app in appworld called life in pocket that has free turn by turn navigation. It has a lot of features but the navigation is decent at best. The audio works pretty good but it doesn't show a map within the app it just shows arrows. However it does give you the option to open up google maps from within the app so you can hear the audio and see a map via gmaps. Btw this is def no garmin mobile and putting in addresses is a pain sometimes but check it out for yourself and see how ya like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 12:10 AM

You can try this.

i just downloaded the software installed it on the storm 9530. It installed but I'm waiting on a activation email and or sms message with a code to make the stuff work.
    05-20-10 01:11 AM
    I found an app in appworld called life in pocket that has free turn by turn navigation. It has a lot of features but the navigation is decent at best. The audio works pretty good but it doesn't show a map within the app it just shows arrows. However it does give you the option to open up google maps from within the app so you can hear the audio and see a map via gmaps. Btw this is def no garmin mobile and putting in addresses is a pain sometimes but check it out for yourself and see how ya like it.

Yeah, it's actually a pretty decent app and does have turn by turn voice, but agree with the address entry being a pain, a little to complicated.
    05-20-10 06:15 AM
    yeah...the droid has this, definitely something that should come on blackberries... COME ON RIM!!
    05-20-10 06:50 AM
    I would second Life in Pocket. It's a fun/useful app to use.
    05-20-10 08:59 AM
    It would definitely be awesome if we could get free turn-by-turn nav. Until that day comes, I guess we'll keep bouncing our Garmin nav unit from car to car. I love my Garmin nav unit, but at the same time it would be nice to have one less thing on the "traveling list" by being able to use accurate turn-by-turn GPS on my S2.
    05-20-10 09:29 AM
    It would definitely be awesome if we could get free turn-by-turn nav. Until that day comes, I guess we'll keep bouncing our Garmin nav unit from car to car. I love my Garmin nav unit, but at the same time it would be nice to have one less thing on the "traveling list" by being able to use accurate turn-by-turn GPS on my S2.

Just get Amaze, it works really well and is very inexpensive. Since I purchased Garmin Mobile I have no need for Amaze anymore, but for $33.99/year you can't go wrong!
    05-20-10 10:13 AM

I thought life in pocket was so so.
    05-20-10 10:14 AM
    Just get Amaze, it works really well and is very inexpensive. Since I purchased Garmin Mobile I have no need for Amaze anymore, but for $33.99/year you can't go wrong!
    I really don't want to have to purchase another nav thing like Garmin Mobile since I paid over $100 for the in-car unit I have now. It would be really sweet if Garmin offered you the option to get it free on your cell if you have already purchased a handheld/in-car unit. I know that's just dreaming though; they're making money in both places by doing it the way they are now. I'll just keep using my in-car Garmin, and probably try Amaze as well.
    05-20-10 10:53 AM
    But the Garmin Mobile app is a one time $99 and sometimes it is on sale for $79. No additional charges ever. I have it and it works just like their Nuvi stand alone products.
    05-20-10 11:30 AM
    So the way I see it now...some people are trying to see if Telmap can be used on the S2 even though it is not a supported device. Other than that, Life in Pocket is the only free option we have...
    05-20-10 11:34 AM
    Very good point by the OP. You would think that Voice-guided GPS would be one the very first 'SuperApps' that RIM would want to market. Maybe not completely free. Maybe so. The problem really is the conflict with the carriers' formulas for cashflow. Since all carriers charge for TeleNav, or their own private-labeled version of it, getting carrier support for such a SuperApp is the real challenge.
    05-20-10 12:35 PM
    Yeah, it's actually a pretty decent app and does have turn by turn voice, but agree with the address entry being a pain, a little to complicated.
    Address entry for LifeInPocket should not be a pain. At the start of LifeInPocket we displayed below messages in red

To enter text, you must touch “:” (the beginning of each text field) with left thumb to move cursor because current Storm2 OS can only detect your touch in these areas.

This is a OS API bug, any app such as Google Sync uses these API is having same issue.

Once you finish typing the address, you can use it or save and use the address.

You can also use your BlackBerry or Online Address book for navigation. You can import address book from Yahoo, AOL, hotmail and Gmail address via our PC web site. You can enter any address or drag from address book into our PC web trip planning tool then sync to BlackBerry.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

I am with LifeInPocket Team
    Last edited by robsss; 05-20-10 at 06:55 PM.
    05-20-10 04:43 PM
    You'll not find anything for free that does what you want. LifeInPocket did not work well at all for me...but it might work for you. You have to settle for Google Maps without turn by turn, get an android phone or buy an app. The best deal (for both the money and the quality of the app) is Garmin mobile.
    Last edited by grey; 05-21-10 at 09:53 AM.
    05-20-10 05:23 PM
    How do I get Google Maps to work for me on Storm 2 9550?
    I have downloaded the app with the browser set to all the 3 possible options, disabled compatibility settings, yet I am not able to enter any address to check directions or anything of that sort.
    Help please!!!
    05-20-10 06:58 PM
    Instead of just a Nav app, LifeInPocket is a LIFE ENRICHMENT app comes with decent voice navigation feature as a small part of the aop. It's best for local street navigation and uses Google and BB Maps as sub app also as a back up service.

If you plan to use LifeInPocket for long distance navigation, we strongly recommend you to plan trip with Google PC Maps and use LifeInPocket Nav with it.

From LifeInPocket, you can open Google map with any address you enter, BB contacts, online address book, local search results, GPS location, where you park your car, etc. If you are not able to open address on Google Maps directly, this may worth to try.
    During voice navigation in arrow mode, you can open destination map with Google or BB Maps.
    We try to support CB users as much as we can but due to resource limitation, we can only visit CB once a while to help with questions. Cheers
    Last edited by robsss; 05-21-10 at 01:38 PM.
    05-20-10 07:47 PM
    If you purchase the garmin how much of a pain for the switch to new phone if purchased ie, storm3.

05-24-10 12:09 AM
    If you purchase the garmin how much of a pain for the switch to new phone if purchased ie, storm3.

I did it from my Storm 1 to Storm 2. I had to e-mail them but they helped me out and I didn't have to pay another cent.
    05-24-10 02:00 AM
    I was going to buy Garmin Moble but they don't have Voice Search and according to them, there are no plans to add it... I figure if I can voice search with Google Maps for free and $80 program should look into it as well...
    05-24-10 08:00 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD