What would convince a company that's already losing money on phones to decide to spend (lose) several million extra dollars for a product line that they've already discontinued? They'd much rather throw that money at promoting their own TCL-brand phones.
    BigAl_BB9900 and cribble2k like this.
    01-21-20 10:55 AM
    That's the end date for Pie approval on NEW devices.

That doesn't apply to existing products. Hard to believe they would ever want to squash an update of any kind.
    Why would any company release devices with Android 9 at this time, while the 10 is available now?
    01-21-20 12:36 PM
    Why would any company release devices with Android 9 at this time, while the 10 is available now?
    That's not what we were talking about. We were referring to Google's rules with regards to updates.
    01-21-20 12:42 PM
    That's not what we were talking about. We were referring to Google's rules with regards to updates.
    I understand, but what is the point of leaving the door open for manufacturers to release devices with Pie after launching Android 10?
    01-21-20 12:44 PM
    What's the point of making a competitive candy-bar if the world already has Snickers? So what if you're allergic to peanuts (or data slurping), I mean who needs Kit-Kat with its efficient snappy wafers? I mean Toblerone? with its clunky keyboard like design.....inconceivable!
    01-21-20 12:55 PM
    I understand, but what is the point of leaving the door open for manufacturers to release devices with Pie after launching Android 10?
    Delays happen you work all spring summer to release a device in the fall and then it gets postponed and have a hardware change and then the release slips to the next year. Things happen.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-21-20 12:55 PM
    Delays happen you work all spring summer to release a device in the fall and then it gets postponed and have a hardware change and then the release slips to the next year. Things happen.
    Good explanation.. Thanks
    01-21-20 12:57 PM
    What's the point of closing it?
    01-21-20 01:01 PM
    What's the point of closing it?
    To force manufacturers to adopt the latest Android version.
    01-21-20 01:06 PM
    To force manufacturers to adopt the latest Android version.
    Or abandoning devices completely?
    01-21-20 01:07 PM
    Get to the back of the line. I am still waiting for Oreo on my CDMA K1!!!
    I'm still waiting on BBOS 6.1 for my Torch 9800.

Oh, wait... I sold that phone 6 years ago...

(Still a sore spot for me when BlackBerry teased 6.1 for a day before they decided to skip it and jump to BBOS 7, and my 9800 would not get it.)
    01-21-20 02:27 PM
    I'm still waiting on BBOS 6.1 for my Torch 9800.

Oh, wait... I sold that phone 6 years ago...

(Still a sore spot for me when BlackBerry teased 6.1 for a day before they decided to skip it and jump to BBOS 7, and my 9800 would not get it.)
    Hopefully you didn't have a Playbook then!
    BigAl_BB9900 and pedrogari like this.
    01-21-20 02:40 PM
    Hopefully you didn't have a Playbook then!
    No, I did not. But being on these forums during that fiasco... l understood the feeling.
    pedrogari likes this.
    01-21-20 02:47 PM
    Or abandoning devices completely?
    That's obviously not the intention, because they give a pretty large window of time, but, ultimately, yes: if a manufacturer can't get it together to get the device released when there's a known, predictable schedule and set of requirements, that's not Google's fault. But this also keeps manufacturers from selling new devices with 4 or 5-year old Android versions, as was common for things like entry-level tablets and car stereos and even entry-level phones, before this rule was put into place. They don't want people buying brand-new devices with an OS that's already out of the support window. And, frankly, if the OEM doesn't have the resources and expertise to be fairly current, they probably don't belong in the business anyway. Google is looking out for consumers here.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-21-20 04:17 PM
    That's obviously not the intention, because they give a pretty large window of time, but, ultimately, yes: if a manufacturer can't get it together to get the device released when there's a known, predictable schedule and set of requirements, that's not Google's fault. But this also keeps manufacturers from selling new devices with 4 or 5-year old Android versions, as was common for things like entry-level tablets and car stereos and even entry-level phones, before this rule was put into place. They don't want people buying brand-new devices with an OS that's already out of the support window. And, frankly, if the OEM doesn't have the resources and expertise to be fairly current, they probably don't belong in the business anyway. Google is looking out for consumers here.
    I am aware and understand the Google cutoff dates for NEW devices. There is no debate there.

I'm just relaying that there is no stated cutoff date for an update. I'm sure all parties (including Google) are happy to get an update anytime it's offered - even if it's late.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-21-20 04:28 PM
    Self explanatory. Anyone with me?
    Hmmmmm should be as successful as the petition to save OS 10
    Attached Thumbnails Let's pressure TCL to give us Pie 9.0 on Key 2!-th.gif  
    BeautyEh likes this.
    01-21-20 06:38 PM
    Hmmmmm should be as successful as the petition to save OS 10
    Or the petition to get app developers to make BB10 app.
    01-21-20 08:08 PM
    What would convince a company that's already losing money on phones to decide to spend (lose) several million extra dollars for a product line that they've already discontinued? They'd much rather throw that money at promoting their own TCL-brand phones.
    If it became a bigger story, they'd need to address it.
    01-21-20 08:35 PM
    Why? It’s not a big story because nobody cares.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 01-21-20 at 09:06 PM.
    01-21-20 08:55 PM
    start a petition...they always get a couple hundred people
    01-21-20 09:04 PM
    You seriously overestimate the interest that the BlackBerry handset brand garners worldwide. The actual answer is almost zero.
    John Albert and cribble2k like this.
    01-21-20 09:38 PM
    You seriously overestimate the interest that the BlackBerry handset brand garners worldwide. The actual answer is almost zero.
    TCL is making the same miscalculation.
    01-21-20 11:07 PM
    TCL is making the same miscalculation.
    Not for some time.
    01-21-20 11:07 PM
    Why do you think that TCL owes BlackBerry lots of money?
    TCL may not owe BlackBerry Limited money on the license agreement right now. I am sure the agreement states how much TCL has to pay for a major OS update. TCL may have decided not to pay for anymore Android updates. If this is the case there maybe no contact breach. I am sure BlackBerry Limited with their limited resources did not want to undertake the update so they are fine with the current status.
    01-22-20 12:59 AM
    I feel for the BlackBerry loyalists in this situation. The Key 2 should get pie at least.

I guess BBmobile and TCL figures that you don't need android pie to send an email either *shrugs*
    01-22-20 08:43 AM
54 123