Let's make a simple point form list of the things RIM can/should/needs to do in order to become more successful with consumers. I say consumers because more and more people want the ability to use one device for both work and play, and this is why so many companies are starting to allow iDroids for business use.

Minimal discussion, let's try to keep this point form for easy reading.

I'll go first:

1) Simplify product lineup: One Curve, one Bold, a Torch slider and a full-screen phone with no keyboard.

2) Make the phones a multimedia experience people will enjoy - The more fun someone can have with their phone, the more likely they're going to use it as their primary device.

3) Simplify the desktop software - the desktop software has clearly been overlooked for way too long. It frequently causes problems, and we still have no way to sync wirelessly.
    03-24-12 01:58 PM
    ......if we ignore it maybe it will go away....
    03-24-12 03:09 PM
    Let's NOT start a new list but feel free to add your thoughts to the other 1000+ threads regarding the same subject! Search people, search!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-24-12 03:22 PM
    Advertise.

They need better ads, more often. BBOS 7 and Playbook are great devices. But there's no ads.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-24-12 03:43 PM
    2 things I mentioned before:

Get BB featured on The Apprentice (both in use, and as one of the "tasks" perhaps releasing BB10 or something)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0/#post7204363

and this kind of ad-campaign:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7114342

forget about the "tools not toys" twins who are actually tools themselves.
    03-24-12 05:02 PM
    RIM needs better business applications for the Playbook.
    They say business is an important market for RIM so why are the business apps next to useless????
    The Adobe reader is pathetic, and word is also useless.
    Instead all we get are more Apps like angry birds, pigs and doodle jump.
    Rim hasn't delivered and seems to have forgotten that small businesses can't afford programmers designing apps.
    Every week I turn it on and check for better business apps and about 10 minutes later turn it off until next Sunday.
    Last edited by altawest; 03-24-12 at 10:16 PM.
    03-24-12 10:07 PM
    To the person who added the links, yes I know all about the cloud and citrix
    Sometimes access to wifi at a clients office is just not available (like in the field) or there's a problem with their intranet. Been there done that, you can't go into an important meeting hoping you will be able to connect. So I still have to carry a laptop around as I know it can rely on it.
    Last edited by altawest; 03-25-12 at 07:30 PM.
    03-25-12 07:27 PM
    Keep on track. Equipment is looking good. Tell somebody!!
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-25-12 07:35 PM
    im going to start from the launch day of bb10.

1. advertisement GALORE! they need to put there new products everywhere and be featured all over the place. make people take notice that blackberry has a new phone and os and that its the best.

2. game changing feature. they need something that is going to make them want the new phones. just saying we are blackberry we have bbm, we have great email and security isnt going to cut it. they need a game changer something cool that will make people want the device. if they canput those two things together they will have very good sales on the new phone. also they cant overprice the phones like they did with the 9900/30.
    03-26-12 01:32 AM
    1) The 9900/9930 showed that build quality goes a long way. Apply the same principle to the ENTIRE device line up. Apple does it all the time. A premium feeling/looking device helps in the customer satisfaction stakes.
    2) Married to build quality is the need to stay as up to date as possible in device specs. Don't make low end devices. EVER. This segment should be covered by outgoing devices. This automatically solves the 'too many devices' complaint.
    3) RIM needs to 'future proof' its devices to improve customer loyalty. This business of OS5 devices unable to run OS6, OS6 devices unable to run OS7 and OS7 devices unable to run BB10 hurts people's loyalty to the brand. Esp when contracts run for up to three years. The business argument that it makes people buy newer devices was killed by Apple a long time ago.
    4) Point 3) also means RIM is 'supporting' several OSes across several devices and muddies the waters for developers too. It also means RIM has to churn out low end devices with each new OS. Nothing harms the brand more than 'new' underpowered devices.
    5) Of course there is the perennial issue, sticking to timetables and quality marketing.
    6) When is the inhouse cloud service coming?

Most people keep saying RIM needs a 'game changing feature'. Yes that would be cool if they could bring something new to the party but RIM is unique enough to appeal more if they refine things a bit more.
    Of course, judging from PB OS 2.0, there is a lot of functionality that needs to added to BB10 (even to the PB itself) and one hopes the time between now and launch will be used wisely as it is really nothing out of RIM's capabilities.
    03-26-12 10:17 AM
    They need to quit telling developers, no you can't access or do this or that. As much as I don't like it if you don't have the things available to other platforms and the apps you're going nowhere esp. in the consumer market.

As much as I like my phone and pb a lot of people won't even look at them without being able to do what the others can.
    03-26-12 10:50 AM
    1. Stop catering to the carriers. They are not pushing your products and are actually telling people not to buy them. They cripple your phones and make them even less attractive.

2. Stop catering to CIO's. They are all caving to the pressure of BYOD, and people aren't bringing Blackberry devices to the party. They will tell you great things that will make them not attractive to consumers, then allow iPhones and Androids in to save money.

3. Cater to the end user. These are the people that will be buying the majority of devices from RIM. If the end user doesn't like the phone, the apps, and the ecosystem, you are done.

4. Invest in marketing because carriers aren't doing it for you anymore in the markets you are losing in.
    yasmar likes this.
    03-26-12 12:24 PM
    IMO RIM needs to stop relying on devs for application development and once they have one functioning OS for all devicives get big number of their own software engineers to develop super apps for a single OS
    Last edited by gorang; 03-26-12 at 04:38 PM.
    03-26-12 01:57 PM
    Exactly, start using TAT.
    yasmar likes this.
    03-26-12 03:10 PM
    Be the first to put out a phone with 9900 size keyboard and touch screen the size of a thunderbolt, and it gets flash just like a regular PC. Fit that screen with that phys keyboard, and you've got a winner.
    However, if an android phone with a 9900 form factor comes out on verizon, that would be neat and If only the screen were bigger as well. Maybe one of those T-shaped landscape screen with slide out portait keyboard.
    03-26-12 06:04 PM
    Shared Contact Info. let's say I have two people that have the same home phone number. Whenever I get a call from that number, both contact's names show up. And If I was to edit the number on one contact, it would ask me if I want to update the other contact.

Additionally, have the ability to set a name for that number. So if three or more people share a number, Caller ID would just show something like "The Selbstaedt Family" I can still go to the individual person's contact profile to select that number.
    DocDRM likes this.
    04-17-12 12:16 PM
    They need to change their styling direction. Go for a completely new high end look on their top range phones. I suggest glass and stainless steel, maybe carbon fibre. FFC and full video viewing capability.
    04-17-12 12:25 PM
    number 1 on my list of things research in motion would need to do please make the customer their primary concern and not the carriers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-12 12:28 PM
    Shared Contact Info. let's say I have two people that have the same home phone number. Whenever I get a call from that number, both contact's names show up. And If I was to edit the number on one contact, it would ask me if I want to update the other contact.

Additionally, have the ability to set a name for that number. So if three or more people share a number, Caller ID would just show something like "The Selbstaedt Family" I can still go to the individual person's contact profile to select that number.
    I NEED this!! My BB is my work and personal phone. I like to fill in ALL the blanks i can in my contacts info - resulting in several contacts with the same "work" number. This would solve it by displaying "Business Name" instead of one of the individuals name.
    04-17-12 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD