Best way to find out this number before it is released to it gather sample data and then forcast. Either way, the buzz seems positive.
    02-06-13 07:42 AM
    From the Toronto Star:
    Best Buy corporate communications director Christopher Bennett said in-store traffic was brisk through the day and preorders for the Z10 “went through the roof.” The company, which operates Best Buy and Future Shop outlets, processed preorders for tens of thousands of the devices through the online process, he said.
    BlackBerry Z10 smartphone arrives at Canadian retailers | Toronto Star
    This sounds rather encouraging.
    02-06-13 08:46 AM
    Although I think it'll be incredibly hard to estimate, I don't blame you for trying and I'll definitely be following this post.
    02-06-13 09:32 AM
    My guesses are 150,000 U.K., 200,000 Canada up to present including preorders. That is a wild guess. You will not be able to figure it out by estimating in-store sales because the pre-orders and corporate orders confound everything. That is pretty good I think. It seems they will get about 1.5 million Z10 devices this quarter. Fiscal quarter ends around March 1. They will have a loss this quarter most likely in the 5-10 cent range. Then next quarter (Q1) will be an important one with the U.S. release and the Q10 release. If they can get to 6 million at the end of Q1 FY14 they are set I think. That will be a quarterly profit. You will start to see all of the major apps head over at that point.
    02-06-13 02:18 PM
    OK, read a little more. Seems like the typcial outlet had an average of 30 or so phones. I saw somewhere that said that 2000 locations in Canada had Z10s for sale. That means that about 60,000 phones total were sold.

Fewer than i initially counted but atleast we are getting to a real number.

OK, what stores were selling the Z10? If we collect a list, we should be able to get a total store front count. Multiply by 30 and we get to a ballpark number.
    02-06-13 04:02 PM
    From the Toronto Star:
    Best Buy corporate communications director Christopher Bennett said in-store traffic was brisk through the day and preorders for the Z10 “went through the roof.” The company, which operates Best Buy and Future Shop outlets, processed preorders for tens of thousands of the devices through the online process, he said.
    BlackBerry Z10 smartphone arrives at Canadian retailers | Toronto Star

This sounds rather encouraging.
    Wow, those two alone said tens of thousands? Wow.
    02-06-13 04:06 PM
    Well, they said it was the best launch ever for a blackberry device in Canada by 50%, so just find out what the best launch was before and add 50%.
    02-06-13 04:10 PM
    If someone can find the numbers for Blackberry best Canadian launch prior to this one and add 50% to it, i'd say your numbers would be very close.
    02-06-13 04:14 PM
    we were thinking the same thing, I've done a few searches but I haven't found anything yet.
    02-06-13 04:16 PM
    Do they capture returns?
    02-06-13 07:24 PM
    If someone can find the numbers for Blackberry best Canadian launch prior to this one and add 50% to it, i'd say your numbers would be very close.
    I don't have time to dig through RIMM annual reports and press releases.

This articles seems to say that they looked for some numbers but they are all internal to BBRY.
    BlackBerry Z10 Jumps Off to a Record-Setting Start in Canada and U.K. - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

We probably will never find out.

I like the 2000 stores * 30 per store number as a low end number. I think it was 60,000+ in Canada at launch. It's a rough estimate but it seems rational.

I did find that the Z10 outsold the iPhone 5 at it's launch accroding to some carrier. Sorry, I forget which one. If we can find that number it could be indicative.
    02-06-13 09:20 PM
36 12