03-29-11 07:19 PM
211 ... 789
tools
    Q - can you imagine what you'd think if you were able to travel in time to two weeks ago, & tell yourself that in two weeks you'd be loving an Android device?
    HA!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have laughed myself into an aneurysm!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in the L-O-V-E word yet, though.....I'm in the greatly infatuated stage. A bit like all the girls in the family lusting after Robert Pattinson....
    03-29-11 03:31 PM
    Roaming charges? You're really stretching on that one. Who gets roaming charges unless you're either travelling internationally or on a prepaid carrier? Plus, my battery life is just fine. I get around 15-17 hours with moderate use, more if I plug it in during my commutes. Getting email within seconds isn't a huge priority for me. I've had it set for 15 minutes & usually get it sooner than that. That's plenty for me. Now, when I was previously using Sidekicks & sometimes wouldn't get my email until 2 hours later...THAT was a problem.
    LOL when most people talk about battery life they are talking about how long it goes from a full charge to needing to be charged, if you charge inbtween you can't count that. Just sayin....
    03-29-11 03:39 PM
    So she said she gets 15-17 hours then. Sounds pretty good (for an HTC device) for a full touchscreen device that doesn't run through a central NOC.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-29-11 03:42 PM
    LOL when most people talk about battery life they are talking about how long it goes from a full charge to needing to be charged, if you charge inbtween you can't count that. Just sayin....
    Right, hence why I made that clarification. I stated that it lasts 15-17 hours w/o being charged. Sometimes I use the car dock mode on my phone, & I plug it into the charger when it's in that mode. I typically don't need to plug it in for an extra boost, unless I'm anticipating of evening of higher than normal use.
    03-29-11 03:45 PM
    Right, hence why I made that clarification. I stated that it lasts 15-17 hours w/o being charged. Sometimes I use the car dock mode on my phone, & I plug it into the charger when it's in that mode. I typically don't need to plug it in for an extra boost, unless I'm anticipating of evening of higher than normal use.
    Heck that would work for me I charge my phone every night anyway.
    03-29-11 03:55 PM
    Same here. I charge it even if it is still at 70% on days when I barely use my phone if I'm sick or something lol.
    03-29-11 03:56 PM
    Just a quick google found this: Android 2.2 and ActiveSync policies a complete guide what works | Sysadmin Lab

Does this help @ all?
    It may be a bit large for me, but I'll glance through it. It's geared for Enterprise.
    I think it actually just is Enterprise. Not sure.

Oh well.....supper and such.

Thanks, y'all!
    03-29-11 04:06 PM
    Q - I agree w/ avt about handcent. Awesome app. Also download LiveProfile for it's BBM-esqueness. Also, be aware that you can REALLY fine-tune email delivery customizations...something I wasn't even aware of until recently lol.

I hope that the fingerprint thing works as advertized!!! That would be sweet. However, my gym uses fingerprint technology when checking in, & about 1 out of 4 times the machine doesn't recognize me for some reason. It's really frustrating.
    LiveProfile requires you to set up yet another account and get your friends to install and use it. Useless, IMO.

WhatApp is clearly superior, supported on every platform except Microsoft and HP/Palm (which is basically 90% of the market) and has group chat (5, but supposed to be going up soon0.

Everything is pushed and it has Pic/Video/Location sharing.

No need for an account. It works off your contact list.

Use an Email Provider that supports ActiveSync (which most decent ones do - well, I'm discounting Yahoo and AOL cause they sort of Suck, but oh well, Lol).
    03-29-11 07:02 PM
    First off..what kind of email is it? Hotmail, yahoo, pop3? The native email system is designed to "pull"..so depending on your settings the fastest it can be set to pull is 5 minutes. You can circumvent these by forwarding most emails to gmail..which is true push. Let me know and I can help set it up if need be.
    The email system isn't designed for anything. It depends on the protocol used. It supports Gmail, which is pushed. ActiveSync/Exchange, which is pushed (Google and Hotmail use this). IMAP, which is polled unless the client supports IDLE in which case it's Quasi-Pushed (AOL Supports IMAP), as well as POP3, which is strictly polled.

Using Google Mail or Hotmail, there should be no delay in message delivery unless your phone does not have a data connection. IMAP *may* have some delay, and POP3 is polled at a frequency of your choosing.

To improve battery life. Someone mentioned it but I think it's important enough to mention it again. Most Android phones come with built-in social network integration (FB/Twitter/MySpace, etc.) and I tend to keep that built-in feature to Sync only once a day to every 12 hours... Because I tend to install the Facebook/Twitter Apps as well and those update whenever you open them. I tend to tell them to update every 6 hours or so.

The Android Facebook app supports push notifications, so you'll get a notification if someone responds to something you post on your wall, etc.

The Twitter app doesn't, but once you're up to 10+ people followed (especially if you follow things like TechCrunch/Engadget) you wouldn't want your phone pinging every 3 minutes anyways...

Also, the ATRIX 4G is not a Samsung phone. I seen someone mentioned it, adn then started talking about Samsung Social Hub, which is part of TouchWiz (it's basically Android's version of Windows Phone 7's People Hub, but existed like a year before WP7 was released :P) and is downright awesome. With Social Hub and the built in Social Network integrations, there isn't really a big need to install the Facebook and Twitter Apps.

HSUPA is coming for the ATRIX soon and I heard Motorola has a maintenance update that's rolling out (or will be soon), which is sort of impressive (for an Android manufacturer) but I think the debacle with the Samsung Galaxy S phones really woke up the manufacturers. Consumers aren't going to bend over for them anymore.

#NeverAgain !!!

^- If you don't know what that means, just ignore it :P
    03-29-11 07:15 PM
    No, they're on. It must be that I use hotmail. I am not keen on GMail.

I guess I'll have to deal with the delay?????

Thus far, this is the only thing that is causing me grief right now.
    For Hotmail, you should be using ActiveSync, not POP3.

If you haven't already, Google Hotmail ActiveSync and set it up as a Corporate/Exchange Account. All your mail will get pushed to your phone instantly that way.

I can't believe people are telling you to forward Hotmail to GMail when you can set it up as an Exchange account and Sync all of your Contacts/Mail/Calendar and get your mail pushed instantly to your phone...
    03-29-11 07:16 PM
    I'm wondering if there is a difference between "Windows Live" Hotmail and other Hotmail? Does anyone know? My Hotmail is thru Windows Live..but I can't get any concrete evidence of whether that is the only one or if there is other "versions". I'm just wondering if this is perhaps what's causing this problem
    Hotmail was rebranded several times.

Hotmail
    Microsoft Hotmail
    MSN Hotmail
    Windows Live Hotmail

It's all the same.

Windows Live is the brand for all of Microsoft's online services.

Windows Live Hotmail
    Windows Live SkyDrive
    Windows Live Messenger
    etc.

Sorry for the post zerg... Seems this thread grew into a monster in the past day or so...

As far as battery life, it really depends on how much you use the phone. You just got it, so you probably use it more than you would in, say, a month or so (after the "new" factor wears off of it a bit and you settle into a fairly consistent pattern of usage). I typically get 12 hours before I'm at ~30% on my Vibrant. On my HD7 I get a bit less (smaller battery).
    Last edited by N8ter; 03-29-11 at 07:22 PM.
    03-29-11 07:19 PM
211 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD