Who's stalking whom? Nobody's talking to you. You've got serious issues, dude. Go tell your shrink the meds aren't working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-11 02:47 PM
    To the OP . . .

First, welcome to Crackberry. I think and hope you'll find that CB is an excellent place to learn about any and all things BlackBerry. I assure you that not all threads are this cantankerous, but when it comes to discussing different platforms, brands, devices and pros/cons, things sometimes tend to take on an elevated level of "enthusiasm" .

Next, thanks for your post. I always appreciate posts from folks who have tried other devices and explain what they did or didn't like about it and why (and I can decide for myself whether I think the post is exaggerated and how much I should temper the info as a result). For me it's a way to accumulate more info and perspective about what's out there in the smartphone world and how it compares to what BB is offering .

Have a good weekend.
    mirren, Fit24 and Daniel Ratcliffe like this.
    03-25-11 03:08 PM
    I know when I had my Tour as my daily driver, I would get about 6-8 hours on a charge, but I ran my business off of it, so it was always in my hand and doing something. If I had to use the internet a lot, I would only get about 5-6 hours from the charge. I ended up getting a charging cradle for my desk, as well as one on my nightstand so it would always be charged ams ready to go.

When I got my Mesmerize (USCC's version of the Fascinate), I started off getting 4-5 hours on a charge, but I was constantly using it. That first week was a killer on the battery, but I was also getting used to the device and still setting things up. After that, I would get 6-8 hours of use, similar to what I was getting on my Tour. I now have a charging cradle on my desk and one on my nightstand (same setup I had for my Tour).

Yesterday, I updated my Mesmerize to OS 2.2. Now I'm back to about 4-6 hours per charge. If it its like when I first got it, then hopefully it will settle back to 6-8 hours once it settles into the configuration.

I still use my Tour, even though the Mesmerize is my daily driver. I think they are both very good devices, and can see why someone would prefer either of them.
    mirren likes this.
    03-25-11 05:15 PM
    if its possible, can the OP or someone who has tried using a droid and come back to the BB elucidate what all they didn't like about it?
    I actually own several phones running most different operating systems. I used to switch a lot (until Sprint started charging $10/mo for "premium" data). I don't feel like paying more $ for nothing, so I've stuck with my Style and I couldn't be happier. I also have an HTC Hero running 2.1 and I can say that battery life was never an issue for me. I did have to tweak the settings (no widgets, turned off GPS, screen brightness, etc) but I was getting about the same battery life as I am with my Style (around 50-60% after 18hrs). I got similar life out of my Tour. Some of the things that I didn't like about Android (or the Hero)

I missed the BB keyboard... way too many errors typing with the on-screen keyboard (tried several keyboards like Swype, etc). The auto-correction was horrendous! This may have been an HTC thing as opposed to Android since it happened on both my Hero and Evo, but I doubt it since it didn't happen on my Touch Diamond... There were several things that didn't even make any sense! Auto "correction"?! I would type the word "didn't" and it would give that as the SECOND option... The first option you ask? "dibn't"!!!! That's not even a word!! If I was typing fast and hit send too fast, guess who looked like a jackass? haha Another "quirk" I found, whenever I typed a word that wasn't recognized by the phone (or in my user dictionary) if it had the letter "I" in the middle of the word, it would automatically capitalize it! It looked something like thIs. Another issue was the Android software fragmentation. They seemed to pick phones at random when they were deciding which to update to 2.2, 2.3, etc. It doesn't feel very good to know that the phone you bought 3 months ago will not be supported and you have 21 more months to be reminded of this as new apps are released and you can't have them. Many of the Apps are only being built for the newest version of Android. Not to mention that I was always in fear of updating an app because 9 out of 10 times they somehow made the app WORSE than it was before the "update" (possibly because they had to write the app to work on so many different brands of phone, all with their own manufacturers custom "skin" and other issues). I also had privacy concerns... want to install an app? Well, why on earth would a music player app need access to your phone calls, text messages, etc? Well, some did. The messaging app was also inconsistent, sometimes I wouldn't be notified of incoming texts even though vibrate and ring were on. I had to get an app to fix this. There was a horrible lag in the phone dialer. I would press call by accident... sometimes it would take a minute for the phone to dial the person... next thing I know, someone is talking to my pocket! I had to get an app for that also. The next thing I knew, I was getting more and more apps to correct issues with the phone (and OS) than I was for actual use or enjoyment! There were a lot more things that I dibn"t (jk haha) like, but there were a lot of things that I did like... Most importantly, people need to pick a phone that works with their carrier, fits their budget, and has the lesser of the evils when it comes to issues. ALL phones have problems... it's just a matter of which problems bother you the most. I came back to BB because it has always been rock solid. The more I think about my phone, the more I realize it's supposed to be about communication, not the apps and games. I decided to use my phone for communication, and will get a tablet and a mifi for play. (Opera Mini lets me get any info I need on the go... I don't need flash in the browser, etc). I love the BB keyboard, I love that I can feel the phone vibrating on my belt and I can hear it ring (something I was never able to feel or hear with Android) I love my Sleep Mode holster and desktop charging pod, different profiles (no more email waking me in the middle of the night), etc. I realize my post is getting long and out of control so I will end it now
    baxvent and Fatoomah like this.
    03-25-11 08:39 PM
    I guess we all have different feelings on this subject !!! Myself personally having had 4 different BB's I refuse to go back until I see a QNX powered 4G handset period. The old BB OS is something I just can't go back too after Android and even the iPhone. I do however want the Playbook and probably will buy at a later date if it works the way I want.
    03-25-11 09:21 PM
    Anandtech just reviewed the 9780 today (not sure why so late in the game but whatever). One of the cool things about anandtech (as all you computer lovers will know) is that their reviews arent just user impressions.. there is actual testing and data presented.. in the case of this thread and the battery talk.. I thought the following picture might be useful.

I just wish people would be honest. Personally I can freely admit my EVO absolutely sucks at battery life when talking. Seen above in that image.. the data absolutely supports that assertion. I think the post someone made about battery life comments on these forums is accurate.. blackberry battery life gets way overstated far to often!

full source link

Blackberry Bold 9780: Not So Bold - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Interesting graphic. I wonder why the other two graphics were not also shown....the ones where the 9780 shows to have a higher battery life when browsing using both 3G and WiFi.

To quote Mark Twain and Disraeli - there are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics. Somw people use what they will to prove the point they want to make and neglect to add the full picture when it doesn't agree with their point.
    Fit24 and Fatoomah like this.
    03-26-11 06:14 AM
    But the blanket statement that 'all Bolds suck' is right on the money, right? You kids need to understand that some of us don't need or want a full-blown gaming device in our pockets, which seems to be what you base your evaluations of phones on.

That's this particular user's experience ... it is what it is. You can make all the excuses you want, the bottom line is that Android did not work for that user. Why can't people just leave it a that? I tried a Captivate in the AT&T store - several times - and didn't like it. What's your excuse for that? Is that a crappy example of an Android, too? Or am I just too stupid to know what's good for myself?

As for the OP wanting the Torch, why not? It's entirely different from all the other candybar form-factor phones. Unfortunately Verizon will probably never pick it up ... that's their loss. Oh yeah, the Torch sucks too because it can't play your latest 1st-person action game. Oh well.

Come on, man ... just when I thought you were starting to get interesting and posting informative contributions to these threads, you jump back on your RIM-bashing bandwagon. Not cool.
    When I made that statement I made it in response to a post about phones being toys.

Yes, Bolds do suck as toys compared to Android/WP7/iOS devices. Most and pretty much all Portrait non-slider phones suck as toys, especially when coupled with a ridiculously small screen.

Don't troll me. Get you rfacts straight...
    03-26-11 07:49 AM
    No exaggeration on the battery. I went to bed on 80% and when I got up 8 hours later it on 50%. After texting and viewing facebook it was down to 17% within an hour and a half. A friend's phone battery does far better. I think it may have been defective but due to other issues such as static on calls, server errors connecting to the Android market, and the phone freezing up, I was not keeping it.

At Verizon stores lately, I only see the Bold offered. The 9330 is at Best Buy and seems cheaply made like the 8530. My 8330 was a solid phone with a great keyboard. The only reason I gave it up was the older software.
    Yes, you exaggerated:

I liked it better than an iPhone at first but then the battery would not last long at all and I was constantly plugging it in just to text and view Facebook.
    No one ever does this, and nothing like this was ever reported. The Fascinate is still stuck on poorly optimized Eclair firmware. It's cute that you pick probably one of the worse high end Android phone Verizon has to base a comparison on, but that's a clear exaggeration.

Cause Texting and Viewing Facebook obviously drains tons of battery power...

A Fascinate with Eclair isn't even comparable to an iPhone. That phone is neutered with that firmware.
    03-26-11 07:54 AM
    Yeah, ok. There's never so much as a hint of condescention or superiority in any of his posts. I'm sorry, I must be out of line again.

'Exaggeration...par for the course in this forum.' That's very polite and insightful.

That statement is fact. Try reading the threads in the forum and see how many times you see people exaggerating the battery life on blackberries or exaggerating the "bad" battery life on other phones in an attempt to validate their choice in smartphone.

And yes, it's par for the course on this forum. That was mostly rhetorical, though, since this IS crackberry.

Also, there's no reason for me to conform to an attitude or posting style acceptable to every and anyone on this forum. If you dislike my posts and/or posting style, there is nothing stopping you form putting me on ignore and NOT reading them...

"Polite" and "Insightful" are 100% subjective terms, especially on an internet forum.

Ciao.
    TheIgster likes this.
    03-26-11 07:57 AM
    I recently tried the Samsung Fascinate. A friend had one and I really liked some of the features on it and decided to try one. I liked it better than an iPhone at first but then the battery would not last long at all and I was constantly plugging it in just to text and view Facebook. I had to read ways to configure the settings just to save battery and try a few different task killer apps. It seems they could make it where apps are not constantly running in the background. There were apps on there I had never even used and could not uninstall yet they were runnig. Samsung also has not released an update with Android 2.2. The battery improved somewhat but I still didn't care for all touchscreen and I was constantly making typing mistakes on the onscreen keyboard.

Finally after less than a week I returned thr Fascinate without hesitation and went back to my Blackberry Bold 9650. What a relief it was to have it back! I appreciate the solid features Blackberry offers. I have tried the iPhone and now an Android phone and I have learned my lesson and I'm staying with Blackberry. My only complaint is they need newer models released on Verizon. Verizon offers too many Android phones and only two Blackberry models right now. I'd like to have a Torch but I do not want to switch to AT&T. I hope Verizon gets it soon and some others as well.
    Thanks for your input. I too at times considered android and the Captivate is what I was interested in. Unlike you I defected from Blackberry but i appreciate all platforms. If only BB could compete with the browser, I have gotten so used to rendering web pages with no diffuculty and at amazing speeds on my iphone. Its the battery life that bothers me and I don't want to have to carry around a spare, my iphone lasts through an entire day with heavy use. Thanks again for your input.
    03-26-11 08:00 AM
    Unless said forum had posting guidelines and rules of behaviour....
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-26-11 08:02 AM
    Also, to set the record straight... I said:

Also, Verizon offers 3 BB models. Bold 9650, Curve 9330, and Storm 2 9550.
    Because the OP stated Verizon only had 2 BB models. That was a correction.

I said:
    There's no need to offer more BB models, IMO. There is little differentiation between most of them, so tons of blackberry phones are worthless for carriers to stock/carry.
    Because it's obviously true. Curve and Bold/Tour and different only in minor hardware tweaks, especially the CDMA Curve 3Gs which have the same amount of RAM/Storage as the CDMA Bold 9650 (on GSM there is a clear reason to go with the Bold, on CDMA... you do it for... a better camera, different keyboard, and higher res screen only for the most part).

The storm is different in form factor, but the software is largely the same as other blackberries.

Android phones have more diverse form factors and manufacturer customizations/additions differentiate them a lot more than blackberries are differentiated.

You have phones with better enterprise features, HTC phones have more attractive skinning with cloud integration, Moto/Sammy phones have excellent DLNA capabilities. Some phones have HDMI out. Some have lots of internal storage (Galaxy S) in addition to the SD Card Slot. Different screen sizes. Portrait or Landscape (slider or not) keyboards. Value-add software can be different.

It has nothing to do with bashing RIM's phones.

There's no reason for a carrier to keep selling a 9700 when they have a 9780, or a Curve 8530 when they have a 9300/9330 (they both cost largely the same, what's the point?). There certainly isn't much reason for a carrier to carry 5+ BB smartphones the way they do for Android. ****, there isn't even a reason for them to carry that many Windows Phones, for the same exact reason. The hardware is pretty standard and the software is practically the same on all the phones. What's the point? Waste of money. Just get an OEM to produce a good 1-3 phones and put them out there, then call it a day.
    03-26-11 08:08 AM
    Unless said forum had posting guidelines and rules of behaviour....
    But I didn't break any rule. The other poster is just whining because he didn't like what I wrote. Nevermind he's trying to bring in discussions from another thread OUT OF CONTEXT to "make his point" and he obviously misread a large majority of that post I made upthread.

That's his issue, not mine.
    03-26-11 08:10 AM
    I agree with totally with the guy with the monkey avatar. This is exactly like an athesist crashing Sunday mass (insert major eye roll here) and we all know he NEVER demeans anyone on these boards (insert even bigger eye roll here).

Why dont you just accept the fact a ton of lifetime BB users are fed up to their eyeballs with the shortcomings of BB and are very very frustrated. The problem here is people take it PERSONALLY and then they lash out with name calling and rhetoric that is unproductive. Everyone has been guilty of that, but the personal attacks on people because they dislike a device is ridiculous. Take a look in the mirror once in a while before you blame everyone else.
    God....please have mercy on this lost soul, for he/she is confused. They seem to mistake calling out people, hating on them and then make haste like posts about how they can't stand how people get outlandish on other members or bent out of shape over their phones....

Tescor, get a clue bro....I truly believe you only post on here to get a rise out of people. If that don't exemplify a "troll", then I don't know what does.

Many people have called you out on it....what don't you get?

Some peeps like AVT and the likes may be unhappy with RIM and yes they love their current devices rather Apple or Android, but talk to us like humans, not like we are 2 year old cave boys.....

Now either hold a convo without being a negative Nancy in every post, or take your talentless postings to Android Central or Apple....for real, it has been way old....

03-26-11 09:28 AM
    Wow! I know this an open forum, but IMHO that is no excuse for us to be impolite (again, my opinion) to each other. I can't (and don't want to) control someone's opinion or viewpoint. But, I can control what I say and do. I may not agree with everyone, and others may not like my post, but I choose not to react and answer if I can't be constructive. I know this is opinion, but there is a lot to be considered when it comes to a sincere appreciation of everyone and their contributions.

I like my BB 9650, but that doesn't make it the best phone. It is the phone I chose and I am happy with my choice.
    03-26-11 12:35 PM
    Interesting graphic. I wonder why the other two graphics were not also shown....the ones where the 9780 shows to have a higher battery life when browsing using both 3G and WiFi.

To quote Mark Twain and Disraeli - there are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics. Somw people use what they will to prove the point they want to make and neglect to add the full picture when it doesn't agree with their point.
    You mean these ones?

I've had two android phones, and on long trips and long days with heavy usage, i must constantly worry about my battery. With my 8900 (No 3g here) i can "forget" to charge it at night and go two days with heavy usage without worry.
    Kind of nice.
    03-26-11 02:36 PM
    I love these charts comparing BBs to Android. Someone shows one chart where a BB gets beat, and everyone comes back and posts "well what about these".

Honestly, if you didn't expect a 624MHz processor, smaller screen, non touch device connected to a NOC to not use less battery life on the majority of these tests, you are a fool (generalization). The fact that Android comes so close using twice the hardware power, 4.3inch screens with higher resolutions and different tech (SLCD, AMOLED, SAMOLED, qHD and others), full touch is pretty good. Same goes for the iPhone.

Also, I wonder why the Storm isn't on any list. Does it have worse battery life then everything on that list, all while packing less powerful hardware, a smaller screen and the rest of the BB standard features?
    Last edited by avt123; 03-26-11 at 02:46 PM.
    TheIgster and kcmoberry like this.
    03-26-11 02:41 PM
    I love these charts comparing BBs to Android. Someone shows one chart where a BB gets beat, and everyone comes back and posts "well what about these".

Honestly, if you didn't expect a 624MHz processor, smaller screen, non touch device connected to a NOC to not use less battery life on the majority of these tests, you are a fool (generalization). The fact that Android comes so close using twice the hardware power, 4.3inch screens with higher resolutions and different tech (SLCD, AMOLED, SAMOLED, qHD and others), full touch is pretty good. Same goes for the iPhone.

Also, I wonder why the Storm isn't on any list. Does it have worse battery life then everything on that list, all while packing less powerful hardware, a smaller screen and the rest of the BB standard features?
    The iphones batt life seems very impressive to me for what the phone can do! Will be interesting how the battery life will be on the BB's coming out this summer with the touch screens and the better processors. IMO there is no reason to even compare BB to android and iphone because BB is so far behind. A comparison this summer will make more sense......
    03-26-11 05:01 PM

Whats worse is the blatant attempt to change the discussion. I posted the talk time chart because Qbnelt had mentioned a contractor out working with an Android had to constantly worry about his battery, where she did not. To me that discussion really didn't involve 3G web surfing, not to suggest it plays zero role but I would suggest it's a much much more insignificant role compared to talk time when the discussion is centered around a work role. (which she did mentioning needing it to last FOR WORK)

My point was to show actual tests don't validate such opinions that suggest the android user must constantly be leery to use their phone.

Sigh. It cracks me up how territorial people are with their device. If next gen androids drop the ball and blackberry or windows or palm take a big step ahead.. I'll move on to them in a heartbeat.

Brand loyalty is beyond lame!! (employees and stock owners excluded)
    Last edited by kcmoberry; 03-26-11 at 06:41 PM.
    03-26-11 06:38 PM

H
    If someone quotes a study to prove his point, then a rebuttal where other parts of that same study can be quoted if there is an opposing point.

These were all charts in the same article. If one is quoted, the others can be quoted as well.
    03-26-11 08:19 PM
    I have to say. If everyone is so interested in debunking myths, then as someone who has used the G2 and Vibrant for many months off and on. I call BS on this notion that Android does so many things better than BB including browsing. Tell me please what is so dominant. Speed, no. Not on my 9700 running OS 6. When I do web speed tests I win as much as I lose and the difference is 1 or 2 seconds. Music? Please. That is at best subjective. Email? Android certainly isn't better in my opinion. In my line of work, if an asshat sends me something truncated it is forwarded to death. If they don't summarize they are out. What else...videos, maybe. I would never do it if its over 5 or 6 minutes. Anyway, I'm not saying there aren't differences or that android isn't better in some areas, but the level of exaggeration is over the top.

03-26-11 08:37 PM
    Screen size.
    03-26-11 08:50 PM
    I have to say. If everyone is so interested in debunking myths, then as someone who has used the G2 and Vibrant for many months off and on. I call BS on this notion that Android does so many things better than BB including browsing. Tell me please what is so dominant. Speed, no. Not on my 9700 running OS 6. When I do web speed tests I win as much as I lose and the difference is 1 or 2 seconds. Music? Please. That is at best subjective. Email? Android certainly isn't better in my opinion. In my line of work, if an asshat sends me something truncated it is forwarded to death. If they don't summarize they are out. What else...videos, maybe. I would never do it if its over 5 or 6 minutes. Anyway, I'm not saying there aren't differences or that android isn't better in some areas, but the level of exaggeration is over the top.

Why are you using mobile CrackBerry and not the full site?
    03-26-11 08:52 PM
    Why would I? Is that important to you? Do you like the extra ads?

03-26-11 08:54 PM
    So you use mobile sites on your PC too?

I used mobile sites on my Blackberry because Blackberry browser isn't good. You do too.
    03-26-11 08:57 PM
211 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD