I recently tried the Samsung Fascinate. A friend had one and I really liked some of the features on it and decided to try one. I liked it better than an iPhone at first but then the battery would not last long at all and I was constantly plugging it in just to text and view Facebook. I had to read ways to configure the settings just to save battery and try a few different task killer apps. It seems they could make it where apps are not constantly running in the background. There were apps on there I had never even used and could not uninstall yet they were runnig. Samsung also has not released an update with Android 2.2. The battery improved somewhat but I still didn't care for all touchscreen and I was constantly making typing mistakes on the onscreen keyboard.

Finally after less than a week I returned thr Fascinate without hesitation and went back to my Blackberry Bold 9650. What a relief it was to have it back! I appreciate the solid features Blackberry offers. I have tried the iPhone and now an Android phone and I have learned my lesson and I'm staying with Blackberry. My only complaint is they need newer models released on Verizon. Verizon offers too many Android phones and only two Blackberry models right now. I'd like to have a Torch but I do not want to switch to AT&T. I hope Verizon gets it soon and some others as well.
    tamspamd, gmz73 and elphie28 like this.
    03-25-11 01:01 AM
    I recently tried the Samsung Fascinate. A friend had one and I really liked some of the features on it and decided to try one. I liked it better than an iPhone at first but then the battery would not last long at all and I was constantly plugging it in just to text and view Facebook. I had to read ways to configure the settings just to save battery and try a few different task killer apps. It seems they could make it where apps are not constantly running in the background. There were apps on there I had never even used and could not uninstall yet they were runnig. Samsung also has not released an update with Android 2.2. The battery improved somewhat but I still didn't care for all touchscreen and I was constantly making typing mistakes on the onscreen keyboard.

Finally after less than a week I returned thr Fascinate without hesitation and went back to my Blackberry Bold 9650. What a relief it was to have it back! I appreciate the solid features Blackberry offers. I have tried the iPhone and now an Android phone and I have learned my lesson and I'm staying with Blackberry. My only complaint is they need newer models released on Verizon. Verizon offers too many Android phones and only two Blackberry models right now. I'd like to have a Torch but I do not want to switch to AT&T. I hope Verizon gets it soon and some others as well.
    The Fascinate is probably the worst Galaxy S phone to get. Always has been, and always will be. And yes, no 2.2 so there are some things missing like a built in task manager that lets you end those crappy background tasks with one click. Preloaded software is on basically every phone, even Blackberries come with them. There are ways to get it off, just like there are ways to get it off Blackberries.

That being said, you're obviously exaggerating the battery issues, but that's par for the course on this forum.

Also, Verizon offers 3 BB models. Bold 9650, Curve 9330, and Storm 2 9550.

There's no need to offer more BB models, IMO. There is little differentiation between most of them, so tons of blackberry phones are worthless for carriers to stock/carry.
    03-25-11 06:47 AM
    Yes, I understand loving BB! It's my preferred platform and has been for a few years now. I have my work 9650 which is rock solid and I had the Torch, but I crushed it so I'm now waiting for the Torch 2.
    I think the Bold Touch is going to Verizon. You might be interested in that.
    I also understand the need for a solid battery life - I know my devices will last the day and into the night. Some don't find that important, but I recently noticed how a very effective contractor of mine on a remote install lost a great deal of effectiveness having to constantly be aware of his device's battery life.
    Look at the upcoming devices forum, I think there are some new Verizon phones coming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-11 07:15 AM
    That being said, you're obviously exaggerating the battery issues, but that's par for the course on this forum.
    But the blanket statement that 'all Bolds suck' is right on the money, right? You kids need to understand that some of us don't need or want a full-blown gaming device in our pockets, which seems to be what you base your evaluations of phones on.

That's this particular user's experience ... it is what it is. You can make all the excuses you want, the bottom line is that Android did not work for that user. Why can't people just leave it a that? I tried a Captivate in the AT&T store - several times - and didn't like it. What's your excuse for that? Is that a crappy example of an Android, too? Or am I just too stupid to know what's good for myself?

As for the OP wanting the Torch, why not? It's entirely different from all the other candybar form-factor phones. Unfortunately Verizon will probably never pick it up ... that's their loss. Oh yeah, the Torch sucks too because it can't play your latest 1st-person action game. Oh well.

Come on, man ... just when I thought you were starting to get interesting and posting informative contributions to these threads, you jump back on your RIM-bashing bandwagon. Not cool.
    03-25-11 07:19 AM
    Tweaking the battery so it'll last all day and a task-killer? Sorry, but I have better things to do than worry about my phone running up-to-par.

03-25-11 08:42 AM
    The Fascinate is probably the worst Galaxy S phone to get. Always has been, and always will be. And yes, no 2.2 so there are some things missing like a built in task manager that lets you end those crappy background tasks with one click. Preloaded software is on basically every phone, even Blackberries come with them. There are ways to get it off, just like there are ways to get it off Blackberries.

Also, Verizon offers 3 BB models. Bold 9650, Curve 9330, and Storm 2 9550.

There's no need to offer more BB models, IMO. There is little differentiation between most of them, so tons of blackberry phones are worthless for carriers to stock/carry.
    No exaggeration on the battery. I went to bed on 80% and when I got up 8 hours later it on 50%. After texting and viewing facebook it was down to 17% within an hour and a half. A friend's phone battery does far better. I think it may have been defective but due to other issues such as static on calls, server errors connecting to the Android market, and the phone freezing up, I was not keeping it.

At Verizon stores lately, I only see the Bold offered. The 9330 is at Best Buy and seems cheaply made like the 8530. My 8330 was a solid phone with a great keyboard. The only reason I gave it up was the older software.
    03-25-11 08:55 AM
    Yup - like actually being efficient at work.
    I really didn't personally care for the Android platform, but experiencing my contractor's preoccupation with his device's battery life just put me over the top.
    Of course, there are those who will immediately dismiss the issue or label me either a liar or a BB fangirl. Don't care. It was a pain in the patooty to deal with the device's demand of my contractor's attention and need to find a way to compensate for its flaw.

03-25-11 08:57 AM
    Yup - like actually being efficient at work.
    I really didn't personally care for the Android platform, but experiencing my contractor's preoccupation with his device's battery life just put me over the top.
    Of course, there are those who will immediately dismiss the issue or label me either a liar or a BB fangirl. Don't care. It was a pain in the patooty to deal with the device's demand of my contractor's attention and need to find a way to compensate for its flaw.

Each day I had the Fascinate, I had to plug it in to charge before the end of the day and I don't consider anything I did on it heavy use. I have friends who love their Android phones and obviously they sell well but it was not for me just as the iPhone 4 wasn't mostly due to the small onscreen keyboard keys being small and difficult to type on for me. I have an ipod touch and the ipad and I like both a lot.
    Last edited by baxvent; 03-25-11 at 09:12 AM.
    03-25-11 09:09 AM
    That's the critical thing. Not everyone will love a platform.
    There is no need to be so acerbic and antagonistic against those of us who do not like the platform, or to dismiss is as mere fanbois/girls/cheerleaders when we say we prefer BB or iOS.
    Different people value different things. To each person, the features they like are important. No need to bash someone over the head with features they don't care about.

sleepngbear likes this.
    03-25-11 09:16 AM
    Come on, man ... just when I thought you were starting to get interesting and posting informative contributions to these threads, you jump back on your RIM-bashing bandwagon. Not cool.
    I don't see any RIM bashing in his post. All he said is that he feels there is barely any differentiation between the models of BB VZW offers. How is that bashing?
    03-25-11 11:21 AM
    Anandtech just reviewed the 9780 today (not sure why so late in the game but whatever). One of the cool things about anandtech (as all you computer lovers will know) is that their reviews arent just user impressions.. there is actual testing and data presented.. in the case of this thread and the battery talk.. I thought the following picture might be useful.

I just wish people would be honest. Personally I can freely admit my EVO absolutely sucks at battery life when talking. Seen above in that image.. the data absolutely supports that assertion. I think the post someone made about battery life comments on these forums is accurate.. blackberry battery life gets way overstated far to often!

full source link

Blackberry Bold 9780: Not So Bold - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    03-25-11 11:43 AM
    Yea that chart was posted back when the Torch was released as well.
    03-25-11 11:51 AM
    I don't see any RIM bashing in his post. All he said is that he feels there is barely any differentiation between the models of BB VZW offers. How is that bashing?
    Yeah, ok. There's never so much as a hint of condescention or superiority in any of his posts. I'm sorry, I must be out of line again.

'Exaggeration...par for the course in this forum.' That's very polite and insightful.

03-25-11 11:55 AM
    Who still talks on their phone? Just kidding, but that is a relatively incomplete picture as it only takes into account one of several functions of the phone. My GF has the Vibrant and it has been a complete POS. I spend a great deal of time trouble shooting ways to improve it. It freezes and lags all the time, the gps does not work and we had to bite the bullet and get the 3000 mah extended battery to give it a chance at good battery life....which it does now have. Anyway, the point here is, as has been said a thousand times before, we all have different wants and experiences. That isn't the problem. The problem is the need for many non-blackberry users to spend time on these threads bashing the product that so many of us enjoy. That makes people mad. Odd right? And AVT23, when he said all 3 BB's were the same, it sure seemed to me he was saying it as a negative. I'll try it with android...Verizon offers all these android phones but they are all the same. Why offer more? Did that seem like a jab? Anyway, round and round we go.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-25-11 12:01 PM
    Yeah, ok. There's never so much as a hint of condescention or superiority in any of his posts. I'm sorry, I must be out of line again.

'Exaggeration...par for the course in this forum.' That's very polite and insightful.

But he didn't bash RIM. If anything he bashed the users on this forum. I know he has bashed RIM before, I'm just saying this post he didn't and you are saying he did.

And he is right about the exaggeration. There are plenty of post of this forum over-exaggerating battery life from other platforms.

It is pretty hard to convince the people that own these devices with bad battery life, that you are getting terrible battery life with moderate use, when a lot of these people are using said devices non-stop all day and get better battery life.
    03-25-11 12:04 PM
    And AVT23, when he said all 3 BB's were the same, it sure seemed to me he was saying it as a negative. I'll try it with android...Verizon offers all these android phones but they are all the same. Why offer more? Did that seem like a jab? Anyway, round and round we go.
    The Curve is extremely similar to the 9650. They aren't really that far off. The only different one is the Storm.

And you are right, a lot of the Android devices are similar as well. I don't see that as a jab, I see that as stating the obvious.

I don't get offended when someone says something negative or criticizes a platform. I get offended when someone insults my intelligence.
    03-25-11 12:09 PM
    The Curve is extremely similar to the 9650. They aren't really that far off. The only different one is the Storm.

And you are right, a lot of the Android devices are similar as well. I don't see that as a jab, I see that as stating the obvious.

I don't get offended when someone says something negative or criticizes a platform. I get offended when someone insults my intelligence.
    Fair enough. But, that being said, many people on these forums do get offended when someone criticizes the product they chose and like.
    03-25-11 12:19 PM
    Fair enough. But, that being said, many people on these forums do get offended when someone criticizes the product they chose and like.
    Yea and many of these people should lighten up.

They like it and that's all that matters. Are these opinions making them hate their device? Is it making them second guess their purchase?

If they can't take an opinion on something that does not love them back, open forums is not somewhere they should be staying around.

I have Apple products. Many people on this forum consider Apple users sheep. Do I get offended when someone says something negative about an Apple product? Absolutely not. Do I get offended when someone insults my intelligence when they say Apple users only buy Apple products because Steve Jobs says so? Yes.
    03-25-11 12:28 PM
    Who still talks on their phone? Just kidding, but that is a relatively incomplete picture as it only takes into account one of several functions of the phone. My GF has the Vibrant and it has been a complete POS. I spend a great deal of time trouble shooting ways to improve it. It freezes and lags all the time, the gps does not work and we had to bite the bullet and get the 3000 mah extended battery to give it a chance at good battery life....which it does now have. Anyway, the point here is, as has been said a thousand times before, we all have different wants and experiences. That isn't the problem. The problem is the need for many non-blackberry users to spend time on these threads bashing the product that so many of us enjoy. That makes people mad. Odd right? And AVT23, when he said all 3 BB's were the same, it sure seemed to me he was saying it as a negative. I'll try it with android...Verizon offers all these android phones but they are all the same. Why offer more? Did that seem like a jab? Anyway, round and round we go.

Discussing the BB platform includes highlights and shortcomings doesnt it? Most of us on this forum, regardless of the phones we use now, started here because of our interest in Blackberry. We stayed because getting a new phone doesnt have to mean getting a new forum too! Kevin has clearly made other platforms welcome to discuss here in al forums as well as focused talk on ones platform of choice in sub forums.

It seems to me when blackberry shortcomings become a topic is the only time some members here get "mad" and to be honest.. it's silly really.

Anyway, the point of the picture was to point out talking battery life isn't leaps and bounds better on BB than anywhere else, as was implied by folks saying non BB users had to constantly be wary of their battery. It says nothing about the rest of either platform nor should it. The point of a forum is for good honest discussions, and I prefer to alleviate when possible overstated misconceptions, regardless of platform.
    Last edited by kcmoberry; 03-25-11 at 12:45 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-25-11 12:41 PM
    But he didn't bash RIM. If anything he bashed the users on this forum.
    Oh, I'm sorry. Yeah, you're right - that's much more acceptable.

03-25-11 12:42 PM
    Yea and many of these people should lighten up.

They like it and that's all that matters. Are these opinions making them hate their device? Is it making them second guess their purchase?

If they can't take an opinion on something that does not love them back, open forums is not somewhere they should be staying around.

I have Apple products. Many people on this forum consider Apple users sheep. Do I get offended when someone says something negative about an Apple product? Absolutely not. Do I get offended when someone insults my intelligence when they say Apple users only buy Apple products because Steve Jobs says so? Yes.
    I see your point to an extent. If somebody says my phone is so much better than yours are they not suggesting that you are too stupid to recognize the inferior nature of your device? Perhaps too dumb to make the correct choice when purchasing the phone? I understand what you're saying but it just seems to depend on where you choose to draw the line.

I think that the line you drew and the lines others draw define the reality of these forums. However, people come in here often simply to cross those lines and incite anger from other users and to show that their device is better than a BB. It is admirable that you separate yourself from that but it is also clear that you are not on an Apple site so your expectations might be different.

In my opinion, when it is obvious that someone is bothered by it and the other person continues to do it, even if they do so because they feel the reaction is not warranted, it does not make it any less antagonistic. I think we can just agree to disagree on this but I also understand and agree with your trying to not make it personal.
    03-25-11 12:46 PM
    Discussing the BB platform includes highlights and shortcomings doesnt it? Most of us on this forum, regardless of the phones we use now, started here because of our interest in Blackberry. We stayed because getting a new phone doesnt have to mean getting a new forum too! Kevin has clearly made other platforms welcome to discuss here in al forums as well as focused talk on ones platform of choice in sub forums.

It seems to me when blackberry shortcomings become a topic is the only time some members here get "mad" and to be honest.. it's silly really.

Anyway, the point of the picture was to point out talking battery life isn't leaps and bounds better on BB than anywhere else, as was implied by folks saying non BB users had to constantly be wary of their battery. It says nothing about the rest of either platform nor should it. The point of a forum is for good honest discussions, and I prefer to alleviate when possible overstated misconceptions, regardless of platform.
    Point taken. It was an informative chart and very colorful.
    03-25-11 12:48 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry. Yeah, you're right - that's much more acceptable.

Never said it was.
    03-25-11 12:51 PM

I agree completely with every point here. What I and most others here take issue with is not open discussion about the advantages and shortcomings of one device vs another; it's being slammed in the face with the same arguments and the condescending attitudes in thread after thread by the same handful of people who seem he||-bent on everyone agreeing with them at all costs, forgetting that this is first and foremost a BlackBerry site. And when certain people repeatedly take every opportunity to inject those shortcomings for no particular reason, you're damm straight we get defensive.

I am very well aware of BB's shortcomings. ALL brands have shortcomings. I can live with those of BB's easier than I can with those of the others. If someone wants to come in here and enlighten us as to what's so great about their non-BlackBerry phone, I welcome it. N8ter, for example, recently had some very interesting perspective in a few different threads that I actually enjoyed reading. But when someone laces the discussion and qualifies whatever point they're trying to make with such objective opinions as 'all BlackBerry's suck' or other stetements that demean all other members of this board, to me that's tantamount to an athiest crashing Sunday mass to declare the congregation a bunch of m0rons for worshipping a god that doesn't exist. I.e, this is our house; you're more than welcome in it, and by all means let me know if you prefer sugar or Sweet'N Low in your coffee. But please don't spend your whole time here screaming through a bullhorn how crappy our Salvation Army furniture is.

Fit24 likes this.
    03-25-11 01:30 PM
    wow, what a read for a Friday afternoon I'm actually a step behind the OP - I have been using BBs since the days of the good ol blue 7250...I had the S1, then the S2 - only my S2 died on my unexpectedly and I was offered the Bold. However, I feel that the CDMA bold lacks a lot because of the software....my wife uses the Torch and I wish I could use it. anyways, I have been looking at the android platform so that I can have some change for the better....

if its possible, can the OP or someone who has tried using a droid and come back to the BB elucidate what all they didn't like about it?
    03-25-11 02:19 PM
211 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD