From the current market conditions, one thing is pretty clear, one true enemy of BB10 is its own predecessor, BBOS7

Blackberry shouldn't release the phones on BBOS7 anymore, no matter how good/bad/important they are, because, if they want to see BB10 succeed, they need to kill it's cheaper alternative. And instead, release a cheaper line of BB10 devices.

Even though Legacy along with BIS generate huge revenue for Blackberry, but they need to understand that this only creates more and more confusion to a customer, and lowers down/slows growth of BB10 platform.
    Also, it leads to more misconceptions and people include Legacy's bad points into books of BB10, which gives BB10 a bad name.
    Hence, i think BB should officially announce the retirement of Legacy device as soon as the whole BB10 line(low-mid-top) is launched. It's never too late, people still love BB
    One leg in past, and one leg in future is not really a good idea, what's your opinion?
    Your out of your mind, until Blackberry makes a BB10 device I like BBOS will be my phone of choice and I think that goes for 2/3 of Blackberry customers.
    anon8091350 and JeepBB like this.
    04-13-14 02:29 AM
    I think you may be underestimating the value of legacy to the rest of the world, it sells. It sells because folk feel comfortable with it, and it suits them, speculation is fine but it doesn't make money.
    This post must have come from the CFO of Blackberry, or just plain BS
    04-13-14 02:43 AM
    Chen's plan seems to be to sell the old devices because they, you know, sell, whilst introducing a BB10 device that caters to the fans of the legacy devices (BlackBerry Classic).

He is going to wean the legacy users.
    04-13-14 02:58 AM
    I will become an Android user if that happens before they release a BB10 phone that doesn't force me to wipe on the screen to do everything.
    This absolutely makes no sense whatsoever...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 03:19 AM
    Do you really think a phone OS is like a 12 year old Johnny? They are released only when they outclass current flagship's OS. In most cases.
    If what you are saying is assumed to be true, for a moment, then releasing BB10 in its baby stage was surely a big mistake, right?

What you people don't understand is, in order to see bb10 grow, bb7 needs to die, why? because
    -BBOS7 is selling cheap
    -its a 2011 technology, and current year is 2014(more like a decade gap in technology years)
    -with BBOS7 in market, people get a wrong impression about current state of blackberry, and think Blackberry is still slow, laggy, not good for anything other than calls(which alot of youngsters don't do)
    -Elderly People buy Legacy and get satisfied, and develop no intention of switching for a new device
    -unless and until BBOS7 doesn't die, BB10 won't see the light, and thus, won't generate any revenue.
    -BB10 has a better scope to conquer youngster's pockets, than BBOS7. And nowadays youngsters(college and school) are the one who set the trend. If they don't accept, others probably wouldn't.
    Unless people see the OS, how do you expect them to buy it? most of the time it's legacy which takes away the limelight, because of it's availability and price.

I wish for a day when QNX will be the basic of Blackberry phones and people while have their data on Blackberry cloud, with phones in all price ranges Other brands have already done this, then why not blackberry? Why move backwards?

And considering that they will re-release Bold on BBos7, then it'll be more like pulling customers 5 years back in the timeline, and this will result in Bad, real Bad customer reviews
    Your kidding right? I have used 2 curves (can't remember there model numbers and a 9800 and when I retired I purchased a 9810 and with every upgrade of OS from 4 to 7 the phones operated like a BB and new features were added and I don't remember ever losing any features. Them came BB10 (and I have spent lots of time needswith the Z10 and Q10) and it was a step back on so many funtions I had came to rely on. It is a BB10 not a Blackberry. Maybe the Q20 will resolve my issues in time, I hope so. BB10 is much better now than at release BUT still has a ways to go. I am glad that Blackberry has the smarts to listen to their customers and fill ALL their needs.
    Mr.Willie, madcat72 and mamasan47 like this.
    04-13-14 03:22 AM
    I read to the bottom of page one. I say again, BB07 must die. Ya, ya, blah, blah, it out sells BB10 2-1.

BB07 is archaic compared to every OS out there. Perhaps BB10 should en corporate some (very damn few) characteristics of the old legacy OS into BB10. However...the world moves forward, not backward.

Think of it this way, if you completely split BlackBerry into BB10 and BB07, 2 separate entities, which one may have short term gains because blue hair can't figure out a new OS, and which one can actually compete with performance capabilities of a modern and current OS?

Why are people so hung up on BB07? Is it the actual hardware? You need a belt or some 'home' button or screen?? That I can understand. Are these people that incapable of learning a much more powerful, capable and easy to use OS (yes, a 6 year-old can use BB10) that they would rather hang onto ARCHAIC technology?

Ya...BB07 is killing BlackBerry and y'all don't even see it.

Posted via CB10
    jayemmbee and BB_Junky like this.
    04-13-14 03:38 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry can pay the difference in converted legacy users' BIS and non-BIS data plans.
    You mean instead take 5 dollar per month from you into their pocket, they should pay 10 extra out of their pocket per month to substitute your data plan? ?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 03:45 AM
    Then apparently releasing BB10 was the first mistake ?

Having BBOS7 selling in the market, while much advanced BB10 sits home is very much like owning a Porsche but still driving old and cheap Hyundai, because it runs cheap.
    They do need to replace Hyundai with a cheaper variant of Porche(which in case of phones, is possible)
    Please check wiki on Technology life cycle-the S curve said it all. Bb10 just out of rd phase. The bbos past its peak. That is why it make sense to keep both on the plate.

The typical life-cycle of a manufacturing process or production system from the stages of its initial conception to its culmination as either a technique or procedure of common practice or to its demise. The Y-axis of the diagram shows the business gain to the proprietor of the technology while the X-axis traces its lifetime.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 03:56 AM
    If you think I am going to abandon the three legacy devices I have, forget it. The 9900 I have is used as much as this Q10 is. The 9700 I have streams Tunein radio, records video, snaps photos and records voice notes and many other things. They all work great, even the pearl 8130 (media capture/playback) i have and 7290, great alarms. Not gonna abandon what I currently use or make use of. That would be very foolish for blackberry to do so especially if it's still bringing in allot of revenue. I'm serious about this. Think about it for a moment. Once blackberry 10 starts selling better and more frequently, then it might be time. But only blackberry knows.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    anon8091350, acovey and mamasan47 like this.
    04-13-14 04:13 AM
    When BBOS7 devices get faced out and BB10 is still not selling well, it will be the right time for BB to get out of the hardware business. In the meantime, BB10 must continue to prove it is something worth keeping.
    mamasan47 likes this.
    04-13-14 04:34 AM
    When BBOS7 devices get faced out and BB10 is still not selling well, it will be the right time for BB to get out of the hardware business. In the meantime, BB10 must continue to prove it is something worth keeping.
    Highly doubt they'll be getting out of the hardware business any time soon. BB7 will be thriving well, providing revenue until bb10 sales and BlackBerry services start replacing that revenue. Think about it man, if you were to discontinue a revenue source, where would you make the extra income?

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 05:00 AM
    BlackBerry legacy os will become the next windows xp. Lol

Posted via CB10
    anon8091350, jayemmbee and acovey like this.
    04-13-14 05:53 AM
    To get rid of products that are selling and keep those that are not selling? The obvious thing to do is get rid of BB10 of course.
    The obvious thing to do is to acquire a time-traveling DeLorean and go back in time to ensure Blackberry releases BB10 devices starting no later than the fall of 2010. This would prevent Blackberry from having aging and underpowered BB6 and BB7 devices competing directly with iOS and Android devices that make those Blackberry devices look bad and permanently turn off users to Blackberry. Unfortunately, time traveling DeLoreans, at least those available in the early 2000s, are only available in an alternate reality universe.
    04-13-14 06:38 AM
    Actually, it sells it sells because its cheap it's nothing about comfort actually, BB10 is better. Even i have a 9220 curve, and i bought it because it's cheap. honestly, and a lot of people i know do the same.
    Absolutely agree! Everyone can't afford the high priced OS 10 Devices. I paid $600 for my Z10 a year ago from T-Mobile and I cringe when I think of laying out that kind of money for a phone.

Tombstone - Combat Vets Motorcycle Assn - WWW.CVMAFLORIDA.ORG
    04-13-14 06:53 AM
    You can't get a good feel for the OS if you haven't gotten your hands on it... no matter how many hours of videos you watch...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I may go ahead and buy a Q20 if I cannot find a demo unit. However, as I said over a year ago, I will NOT buy a BB10 device that's missing the trackpad. Enough actual users have confirmed that this is a feature that never should have been excluded.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 06:55 AM
    Absolutely agree! Everyone can't afford the high priced OS 10 Devices. I paid $600 for my Z10 a year ago from T-Mobile and I cringe when I think of laying out that kind of money for a phone.

Tombstone - Combat Vets Motorcycle Assn - CVMA Florida 20-1 Home
    Blackberries are depreciating quickly. It's a sad thing that z10's price will be same to that of z3's at the time of release.
    04-13-14 07:06 AM
    Please check wiki on Technology life cycle-the S curve said it all. Bb10 just out of rd phase. The bbos past its peak. That is why it make sense to keep both on the plate.

The typical life-cycle of a manufacturing process or production system from the stages of its initial conception to its culmination as either a technique or procedure of common practice or to its demise. The Y-axis of the diagram shows the business gain to the proprietor of the technology while the X-axis traces its lifetime.

Posted via CB10
    you just don't get it, do you?
    A company, in order to move forward, needs to release new stuff. Not to re-release old stuff, that just depicts desperation, nothing else
    04-13-14 07:09 AM
    This absolutely makes no sense whatsoever...

Posted via CB10
    At present, Android phones present more hardware flexibility than BB10. Having OS7 around gives people more options.

Kill OS7 sales/support before BB10 has evolved enough to incorporate everything that people liked about OS7, and you will likely drive everyone that's not a fanboy AWAY from BB10.

This is really not a difficult concept... Fortunately John Chen is more aware of the consequences than the OP.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    04-13-14 07:10 AM
    Your out of your mind, until Blackberry makes a BB10 device I like BBOS will be my phone of choice and I think that goes for 2/3 of Blackberry customers.
    Ever wondered why BBOS7 is choice of 2/3rd of customers? That's because of unavailability and high price of BB10, and not because of "I will never give up on legacy" attitude. People need to move forward. Already enough jokes have been cracked on Blackberry users, don't you think it's time to move on?
    BigManRonnie likes this.
    04-13-14 07:13 AM
    Sunny, have you ever run a business? A project with budget and time line? Such as roi?hedge fund not included.

Posted via CB10
    Rootbrian and goodayeh like this.
    04-13-14 07:16 AM
    At present, Android phones present more hardware flexibility than BB10. Having OS7 around gives people more options.

Kill OS7 sales/support before BB10 has evolved enough to incorporate everything that people liked about OS7, and you will likely drive everyone that's not a fanboy AWAY from BB10.

This is really not a difficult concept... Fortunately John Chen is more aware of the consequences than the OP.
    If BBOS7 is for people, then what exactly BB10 is for? time-pass?
    04-13-14 07:17 AM
    Personally, I think it's John Chens first mistake......instead of educating the public on BB10, you're confusing them with another production run of BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    How is continuing to offer a product.....the only one that is selling...."confusing" the public? The public thinks BlackBerry is out of business. Unless you specifically want a BB and a 9900, you aren't confused at all....because you aren't aware of BB at all. At least this move gets the BB logo in more people's hands.

Then apparently releasing BB10 was the first mistake ?

Having BBOS7 selling in the market, while much advanced BB10 sits home is very much like owning a Porsche but still driving old and cheap Hyundai, because it runs cheap.
    They do need to replace Hyundai with a cheaper variant of Porche(which in case of phones, is possible)
    First, "much more advanced" is a completely subjective phrase. CLEARLY....BlackBerry customers....and customers in general don't agree that it is "much more advanced". This is party due to lack of marketing, but also due to stripping away most of the basic features that made a BlackBerry a BlackBerry. If they're ONLY concerned with "advanced technology" they've got lots of options. If they are concerned with the specific speed and efficiency advantages of BB, then they've only got one option.........which Chen just announced he will keep giving people for a while longer.

Second, lots of Porsche owners have another car because it "runs cheap", so this proves nothing.

Thanks to BBOS7, the image of Blackberry is gradually degrading. I was watching this video, and got surprised by what they've put in the end. Seriously, this needs to stop

video is stupid, and there are gazillion such vids on internet. but such stuff is hurting image of BB and making its users a big time joke
    No, BlackBerry's image is not gradually degrading due to BBOS7...it is degraded already. But only in the eyes of people who don't care about BlackBerry advantages and want a phone to look cool and replace their camera and TV. But, the problem you're citing here has nothing to do with continuing to make a 9900....it's all about BlackBerry's colasal failure at marketing their product. They could have easily shown the world it's new style and technology, and silently let others keep using the legacy models.

I read to the bottom of page one. I say again, BB07 must die. Ya, ya, blah, blah, it out sells BB10 2-1.

BB07 is archaic compared to every OS out there. Perhaps BB10 should en corporate some (very damn few) characteristics of the old legacy OS into BB10. However...the world moves forward, not backward.

Think of it this way, if you completely split BlackBerry into BB10 and BB07, 2 separate entities, which one may have short term gains because blue hair can't figure out a new OS, and which one can actually compete with performance capabilities of a modern and current OS?

Why are people so hung up on BB07? Is it the actual hardware? You need a belt or some 'home' button or screen?? That I can understand. Are these people that incapable of learning a much more powerful, capable and easy to use OS (yes, a 6 year-old can use BB10) that they would rather hang onto ARCHAIC technology?

Ya...BB07 is killing BlackBerry and y'all don't even see it.

Posted via CB10
    First, "archaic" is a subjective term. And, BBOS7 isn't really "archaic" anyway except for the amount of ram and speed of processor. Those are the only quantifiable ways of classifying any archaic-ness (if that's a word). The GUI is purely a subjective experience.....and MUCH FASTER to operate, so not sure how it's considered archaic except for simply styling. If you look at a 9900 it's has the same technology as the rest: all the radios (minus 4g), a touch screen, pages of icons to launch apps, internet and email, music and photo and video, etc. But in addition, it has technology that others don't....called physical buttons.

Yes, the world moves forward, but BB10 moved backward in many ways...the basic reason why BB users shrugged at it and bought 9900's 2-1. And, it's not that much cheaper. For people looking for a phone that runs their life, a few bucks from one phone to another isn't that big of a factor. You're not buying paper towels here, you're buying something that you use all day, every day, a part of your life.

Blue hairs? Blue hair's aren't buying smart phones much...this is a ridiculous accusation. It has nothing to do with "learning" a new OS. I learned it in a few days (actually a few minutes). It's simply deciding AFTER you learned it.......THAT YOU DON'T LIKE IT. Many would argue that it's "easy to use". Nothing is easier to use that a few dedicated buttons that do what you want. If you have NO buttons and must swipe and swish and peek (or whatever) when before you just had a few buttons directly under your thumb that did literally everything...there will be some level of rejection. Let's face it....it simply takes more physical energy and action to do nearly ANYTHING on BB10. For power users, that might be more of a factor than some new interface or look or processor or ram. So, for this reason....yes....they would rather hold on to the technology that works perfectly for them...(even if you call it "archaic").

BB0S7 is not killing BlackBerry. It's keeping it alive. BB10 simply didn't have that ability, due to horrible marketing and being the first phone ever produced in the history of phones with no buttons. Just putting some (non-physical) buttons on the bottom might have helped get more sales.

Verizon Wireless is selling 9930's for $99. They are selling Z10's for ZERO. SO.....explain this cheap theory please.

Ever wondered why BBOS7 is choice of 2/3rd of customers? That's because of unavailability and high price of BB10, and not because of "I will never give up on legacy" attitude. People need to move forward. Already enough jokes have been cracked on Blackberry users, don't you think it's time to move on?
    Unavailability and high price of BB10....uh, where?

I don't think anyone says "I will never give up on legacy". They say....as long as this phone works perfectly for me, I'm not going to replace it with something that doesn't just so I can say I'm "moving forward" or that I'm not a "blue hair' or that I'm not using something "archaic" or that I'm using the "latest technology". NONE of those things matter when you get things done faster and are more productive and make more money because of it. That's why you see so many legacy phones in airports....where business people are clearly in view. They choose these phones, not just because their company issued them, but because they are lightning quick and efficient at basic business operations, mostly communications.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 04-13-14 at 08:53 AM.
    04-13-14 07:20 AM
    Sunny, have you ever run a business? A project with budget and time line? Such as roi?hedge fund not included.

Posted via CB10
    No sir, i haven't . But i don't think moving backwards is something a company in bad times should do
    04-13-14 07:20 AM
    From the current market conditions, one thing is pretty clear, one true enemy of BB10 is its own predecessor, BBOS7

Blackberry shouldn't release the phones on BBOS7 anymore, no matter how good/bad/important they are, because, if they want to see BB10 succeed, they need to kill it's cheaper alternative. And instead, release a cheaper line of BB10 devices.

Even though Legacy along with BIS generate huge revenue for Blackberry, but they need to understand that this only creates more and more confusion to a customer, and lowers down/slows growth of BB10 platform.
    Also, it leads to more misconceptions and people include Legacy's bad points into books of BB10, which gives BB10 a bad name.
    Hence, i think BB should officially announce the retirement of Legacy device as soon as the whole BB10 line(low-mid-top) is launched. It's never too late, people still love BB
    One leg in past, and one leg in future is not really a good idea, what's your opinion?
    If BB do that now, the company might as well close shop. Have you not read the last financial report? The company is in no position to make such a drastic change. Forcing their own customers to transition to new phone failed when the BB10 were launched a year ago. To do so now, you might as well tell the current OS7 users to switch to IOS and androids. Operating a business is more than being a fan of devices. BB as a company has been in a precarious position since 3 years ago. The sales of BB10 devices so far indicate the adoption of the new OS still at it's very infancy stage. Let's not throw the baby out with bath water. The reason behind to continue remake of OS7 devices also show that majority of BB customers are still clinging on to their old devices. Hence even the new BB10 devices in the near future are all keyboard devices with a touch of the classic look. It is done to help the very slow transition of this very important BB customer base.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 07:30 AM
    If BB do that now, the company might as well close shop. Have you not read the last financial report? The company is in no position to make such a drastic change. Forcing their own customers to transition to new phone failed when the BB10 were launched a year ago. To do so now, you might as well tell the current OS7 users to switch to IOS and androids. Operating a business is more than being a fan of devices. BB as a company has been in a precarious position since 3 years ago. The sales of BB10 devices so far indicate the adoption of the new OS still at it's very infancy stage. Let's not throw the baby out with bath water. The reason behind to continue remake of OS7 devices also show that majority of BB customers are still clinging on to their old devices. Hence even the new BB10 devices in the near future are all keyboard devices with a touch of the classic look. It is done to help the very slow transition of this very important BB customer base.
    Maybe Blackberry needs a new Steve Jobs now
    04-13-14 07:35 AM
181 12345 ...