From the current market conditions, one thing is pretty clear, one true enemy of BB10 is its own predecessor, BBOS7

Blackberry shouldn't release the phones on BBOS7 anymore, no matter how good/bad/important they are, because, if they want to see BB10 succeed, they need to kill it's cheaper alternative. And instead, release a cheaper line of BB10 devices.

Even though Legacy along with BIS generate huge revenue for Blackberry, but they need to understand that this only creates more and more confusion to a customer, and lowers down/slows growth of BB10 platform.
    Also, it leads to more misconceptions and people include Legacy's bad points into books of BB10, which gives BB10 a bad name.
    Hence, i think BB should officially announce the retirement of Legacy device as soon as the whole BB10 line(low-mid-top) is launched. It's never too late, people still love BB
    One leg in past, and one leg in future is not really a good idea, what's your opinion?
    04-12-14 11:15 AM
    I will become an Android user if that happens before they release a BB10 phone that doesn't force me to wipe on the screen to do everything.
    Legal Eagle and mamasan47 like this.
    04-12-14 11:39 AM
    I will become an Android user if that happens before they release a BB10 phone that doesn't force me to wipe on the screen to do everything.
    Don't worry, they'll always force you to swipe to do everything
    04-12-14 11:49 AM
    Huh?

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    04-12-14 12:46 PM
    I agree. Take that stuff off the market. Let it die already.

I do like how someone is going to Android because they don't want to touch the screen. Makes sense to me.
    Yes, this company needs to move on. Sticking onto it may look good at the first sight, but it's killing them from inside and not good for long run. Also, BB10 should be renamed to QNX, sounds cooler
    04-12-14 01:03 PM
    I tend to agree. BBRY can't continue to suck and blow. By keeping BBOS alive and continuing to manufacture BBOS devices, BBRY is simply undermining BB10.

Instead of continuing production of BBOS devices, BBRY should instead invest in improving the BB10 experience and produce better, newer BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:09 PM
    So by making it go BlackBerry loses 500 Millions in revenues a quarter. Are you suggesting killing of BlackBerry earlier? Don't you want development on the OS to continue?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:14 PM
    I'm not sure why a company would kill off it's top seller unless it loses money for them. Last I checked, BBOS outsold BB10 almost 2 to 1.
    While I understand that BB needs to shift away from the old platform, they need to have a gradual process that is inclusive....making a device that operates similar to what the old one did, but including new features.
    For whatever reason, be it lack of marketing, bad experiences with the new OS, price at the point of sale, product knowledge by carrier.... Etc.. BB10 hit the ground with a loud thud.
    I'm not saying that BB10 isn't viable. I'm saying that BB needs to get to the bottom of why the rollout failed, other than anecdotal evidence, then work to correct whatever it is that is making the consumer vote against the new platform with their phone buying decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    TGR1, Nemzy, Bonnie Bonzai and 8 others like this.
    04-12-14 01:25 PM
    And what happens when BB10 still doesn't sell? U have now just lost all that service revenue for no reason. Look, I think Bb10 is much better than BBOS but simply kicking off BBOS when BB10 shows no signs of growth is not a smart decision at all

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:34 PM
    Not yet. BB10 isn't enough to sustain the company and has a spotty reputation at best with the market. Legacy is still also most trusted for corporate.

Hopefully, BB11, or whatever the next OS is, is reaching maturity and will be ready soon. BBRY IMO has to sweep out both legacy and BB10, with an intense and above all smart campaign. But no premature promises � that BBRY simply musn't do.
    04-12-14 01:40 PM
    I think a package that looks and functions like a legacy device, but operating BB10, could be successful.
    Make it as tough as my old Curve 9300 and it would be tough to beat.

acovey, oilgeo10 and mamasan47 like this.
    04-12-14 01:42 PM
    So by making it go BlackBerry loses 500 Millions in revenues a quarter. Are you suggesting killing of BlackBerry earlier? Don't you want development on the OS to continue?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure why a company would kill off it's top seller unless it loses money for them. Last I checked, BBOS outsold BB10 almost 2 to 1.
    While I understand that BB needs to shift away from the old platform, they need to have a gradual process that is inclusive....making a device that operates similar to what the old one did, but including new features.
    For whatever reason, be it lack of marketing, bad experiences with the new OS, price at the point of sale, product knowledge by carrier.... Etc.. BB10 hit the ground with a loud thud.
    I'm not saying that BB10 isn't viable. I'm saying that BB needs to get to the bottom of why the rollout failed, other than anecdotal evidence, then work to correct whatever it is that is making the consumer vote against the new platform with their phone buying decisions.

If there's already a flagship car in the market, and the company launches another equivalent car and does almost 0 advertising about it, how do you expect it to sell? And why people will prefer the newer one when they have reliability and satisfaction from the previous one.
    That's what (i've assumed) has happened to BB10, and BBOS7(like the earlier flagship) has eaten up its market share.
    When you launch something, you make it better and let people know about it(which blackberry didn't)

Also, the transition shouldn't be gradual, as not much time is left, soon Android's new version, iOS8 along with iPhone6, etc etc will be launched, and Blackberry needs to get it's act together as soon as possible
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-12-14 01:42 PM
    Q20 with the belt needs to hit the market first. Bugs/kinks need to be worked out and overall user satisfaction needs to be high before the legacy devices can be discontinued. People's rationale will be that if they are forced to use a touch screen phone they will use one that has a more mature OS and deeper ecosystem (Android and iOS). Continuing OS7 production for the time being is a necessary move.
    acovey likes this.
    04-12-14 01:44 PM
    And what happens when BB10 still doesn't sell? U have now just lost all that service revenue for no reason. Look, I think Bb10 is much better than BBOS but simply kicking off BBOS when BB10 shows no signs of growth is not a smart decision at all

Posted via CB10
    That's what i'm trying to say. BB10 is showing no sign of growth because of existence of BBOS7.
    I hope BB will launch soon it's low tier BB10 range, and people don't want to shift to a whole new OS by paying a huge amount of money. That's why BB10 isn't selling much.
    In case one of the factors is fixed, maybe we'll see a market growth

As soon as whole BB10 (or say QNX ) range is deployed, BBOS7 should be killed
    04-12-14 01:47 PM
    Everyone that I know who has to use a legacy BlackBerry for work laughs at it. They all have other phones for personal use and compare them to their "work BlackBerry." Going from their personal iPhones and androids to having to use their antiquated BlackBerry, mainly just for email, makes them resent the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:51 PM
    That's what i'm trying to say. BB10 is showing no sign of growth because of existence of BBOS7.
    I hope BB will launch soon it's low tier BB10 range, and people don't want to shift to a whole new OS by paying a huge amount of money. That's why BB10 isn't selling much.
    In case one of the factors is fixed, maybe we'll see a market growth
    I think you may be underestimating the value of legacy to the rest of the world, it sells. It sells because folk feel comfortable with it, and it suits them, speculation is fine but it doesn't make money.
    dracolnyte and riss89 like this.
    04-12-14 01:52 PM
    I think you may be underestimating the value of legacy to the rest of the world, it sells. It sells because folk feel comfortable with it, and it suits them, speculation is fine but it doesn't make money.
    Actually, it sells it sells because its cheap it's nothing about comfort actually, BB10 is better. Even i have a 9220 curve, and i bought it because it's cheap. honestly, and a lot of people i know do the same.
    04-12-14 01:55 PM
    Oh look a badass...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    What do you mean? I'm just saying the UI on the current BB10 lineup sucks if you're not a huge touchscreen fan, and given no other choice, I would rather get an Android that at least has back, menu, and home buttons.

There is no "forcing" anyone onto BB10, only forcing them away from BlackBerry altogether.
    04-12-14 02:30 PM
    From the current market conditions, one thing is pretty clear, one true enemy of BB10 is its own predecessor, BBOS7

Blackberry shouldn't release the phones on BBOS7 anymore, no matter how good/bad/important they are, because, if they want to see BB10 succeed, they need to kill it's cheaper alternative. And instead, release a cheaper line of BB10 devices.

Even though Legacy along with BIS generate huge revenue for Blackberry, but they need to understand that this only creates more and more confusion to a customer, and lowers down/slows growth of BB10 platform.
    Also, it leads to more misconceptions and people include Legacy's bad points into books of BB10, which gives BB10 a bad name.
    Hence, i think BB should officially announce the retirement of Legacy device as soon as the whole BB10 line(low-mid-top) is launched. It's never too late, people still love BB
    One leg in past, and one leg in future is not really a good idea, what's your opinion?
    I believe this will happen with steady BES 12 adoption and traction with the Z3 in developing markets.... oh and the BlackBerry Classic (Q20) release couldn't hurt either lol
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-12-14 02:38 PM
    They can't afford to kill off BBOS7 just like that. But they do need an intelligent strategy to transition all those legacy users. Currently there seems to be no such strategy. (Maybe the Q20...)

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 02:48 PM
    I believe this will happen with steady BES 12 adoption and traction with the Z3 in developing markets.... oh and the BlackBerry Classic (Q20) release couldn't hurt either lol
    z3 is all nice and good, but 5 inch screen with a low resolution, is something i will not like.
    i hope they release kopi(q3) along with it. I'd rather prefer keyboard and small low resolution screen than a full touch large low resolution screen.
    They can't afford to kill off BBOS7 just like that. But they do need an intelligent strategy to transition all those legacy users. Currently there seems to be no such strategy. (Maybe the Q20...)

Posted via CB10
    yes, make BIS optional on BB10 can be a great idea, also, belt.
    04-12-14 02:53 PM
    I agree. Take that stuff off the market. Let it die already.

I do like how someone is going to Android because they don't want to touch the screen. Makes sense to me.
    Lol. Really.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-12-14 03:09 PM
    I tend to agree. BBRY can't continue to suck and blow. By keeping BBOS alive and continuing to manufacture BBOS devices, BBRY is simply undermining BB10.

Instead of continuing production of BBOS devices, BBRY should instead invest in improving the BB10 experience and produce better, newer BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    To get rid of products that are selling and keep those that are not selling? The obvious thing to do is get rid of BB10 of course.
    mamasan47 likes this.
    04-12-14 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Q20 won't meet many legacy device owners needs.

It has long been suspected that many people bought the legacy devices for BIS and BBM. BlackBerry 10 don't have BIS and BBM isn't exclusive to BlackBerry anymore. So what reason would a legacy user have to downgrade to BB10?

Remember everyone, not all BlackBerry users are fanboys of the company. Some of them use BlackBerry only because of specific features that they need for whatever reason.

BIS is a huge deal for many people. Kill of the legacy OS, and many of those customers won't have any reason to stay with BlackBerry at all.
    mamasan47 likes this.
    04-12-14 03:13 PM
    BB10 isn't going to grow simply because BBOS is killed off. People forget that the majority of the sales for these older models are in emerging markets because of two things: Cheap phone and super cheap data. Business aren't rushing out to buy these devices. Simply killing it doesn't do anything but kill a revenue stream for Blackberry.
    JeepBB, chr1sny and acovey like this.
    04-12-14 03:20 PM
181 123 ...