This is still a hypothetical and I have yet to deploy legacy devices but it is something I'm really interested in doing.

So what devices should I use? Basically the most modern usable legacy device out there, or the best legacy device.

is this the 9900? I can get them locally for about $75 CAD. They seem like a good device. Any comments to their longevity especially with the touch screen or the battery life?

If not the 9900 what's the next best thing (that's not a touch display) is it the 9700? I can get them for under $50 CAD. Is the battery on this better that the 9900?

What are your thoughts on these devices... or any recommendations on other devices? The less I need to add to these things (cases, screen protectors, etc...) the better. I want the best OOB legacy blackberry experience that is durable and has a long battery.
    05-18-17 03:35 AM
    This is still a hypothetical and I have yet to deploy legacy devices but it is something I'm really interested in doing.

So what devices should I use? Basically the most modern usable legacy device out there, or the best legacy device.

is this the 9900? I can get them locally for about $75 CAD. They seem like a good device. Any comments to their longevity especially with the touch screen or the battery life?

If not the 9900 what's the next best thing (that's not a touch display) is it the 9700? I can get them for under $50 CAD. Is the battery on this better that the 9900?

What are your thoughts on these devices... or any recommendations on other devices? The less I need to add to these things (cases, screen protectors, etc...) the better. I want the best OOB legacy blackberry experience that is durable and has a long battery.
    I don't think you would be too happy with anything OS6 right now like the 9700/9780. My 9780 was painfully show and it literally has a processor that is 50% slower than the 9900's 1.2 GHz. For getting things done I would stick with your original thoughts on the 9900 and batteries and parts are plentiful on ebay/Amazon. Be aware that certain apps are starting to not function as they used to just one year ago but if you care about excellent email, texting, crystal clear phone calls and the most perfect one-handed form factor on the planet with a perfect keyboard, then you need to come over to the 9900 forum and say "HI" and post what you just did here and there are several of us that would be glad to see a new face and answer any questions you might have.

Check out the "9900 Resurgence" thread for all the answers....

PS I also made several videos that show how well it functions some months ago as well as the speed of the device, etc.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-18-17 04:10 AM
    I don't think you would be too happy with anything OS6 right now like the 9700/9780. My 9780 was painfully show and it literally has a processor that is 50% slower than the 9900's 1.2 GHz. For getting things done I would stick with your original thoughts on the 9900 and batteries and parts are plentiful on ebay/Amazon. Be aware that certain apps are starting to not function as they used to just one year ago but if you care about excellent email, texting, crystal clear phone calls and the most perfect one-handed form factor on the planet with a perfect keyboard, then you need to come over to the 9900 forum and say "HI" and post what you just did here and there are several of us that would be glad to see a new face and answer any questions you might have.

Check out the "9900 Resurgence" thread for all the answers....

PS I also made several videos that show how well it functions some months ago as well as the speed of the device, etc.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    I'll admit I don't know much about legacy models but I don't care about apps. I know the 9900 seems to be best out there but is there a comparable device without a touch display using OS7? I don't want any torch models (obviously if I don't want a touch display) but more of the classic form factor. I can get locally a Curve 9360/9370 for about $40 CAD they seem like they are late model legacy devices that run OS7.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 05-18-17 at 07:54 AM.
    05-18-17 04:45 AM
    I'll admit I don't know much about legacy models but I don't care about apps. I know the 9900 seems to be best out there but is there a comparable device without a touch display using OS7? I don't want any torch models (obviously if I don't want a touch display) but more of the classic form factor. I can get locally a Curve 9360/9370 for about $40 CAD they seem like they are late model legacy devices that run OS7.
    Considering that OS7 is OS7 then I would consider the processing speed of the device, you're looking at what, 800 MHz with the 9360 9370, and I know that I wouldn't want that kind a lag. The 9900 processor was more "future proofed. "

But in the end it's what you want.

Even for loading apps or switching screens, multitasking, loading emails, you will want the fastest device among all the Legacy out there.
    05-18-17 11:27 AM
    Considering that OS7 is OS7 then I would consider the processing speed of the device, you're looking at what, 800 MHz with the 9360 9370, and I know that I wouldn't want that kind a lag. The 9900 processor was more "future proofed. "

But in the end it's what you want.

Even for loading apps or switching screens, multitasking, loading emails, you will want the fastest device among all the Legacy out there.
    I compared the spec sheets and I didn't realise there was such a difference in these devices. I agree with you I'm going to want the faster legacy out there. I don't want the torch so that means the 9900. The Bold line seems to be a better built unit and designed for heavy mileage.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-18-17 11:46 AM
    I compared the spec sheets and I didn't realise there was such a difference in these devices. I agree with you I'm going to want the faster legacy out there. I don't want the torch so that means the 9900. The Bold line seems to be a better built unit and designed for heavy mileage.
    I would still advise that you know what you're getting into so I would say ask any questions to the more knowledgable people in the 9900 forum, just so you know what to expect and regarding whatever applications or uses you might have for it.

Yeah it's a beautiful device amazing quality
    05-18-17 12:21 PM
    I would still advise that you know what you're getting into so I would say ask any questions to the more knowledgable people in the 9900 forum, just so you know what to expect and regarding whatever applications or uses you might have for it.

Yeah it's a beautiful device amazing quality
    The big issue is the future availability of BIS services. Some US carriers announced they will suspend BIS in 2017. Without BIS, you don't get push email and syncing of calendar, contacts, notes, etc. If I remember correctly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-18-17 12:30 PM
    The big issue is the future availability of BIS services. Some US carriers announced they will suspend BIS in 2017. Without BIS, you don't get push email and syncing of calendar, contacts, notes, etc. If I remember correctly.

Absolutely always check for that availability and I do not know where he's from but in Canada there's probably not as much concern as some of the US carriers for this.

That's why I suggested he go to the 9900 forum because many Americans are still using the legacy devices and they know about BIS availability.
    05-18-17 03:50 PM
    Spec-wise, there's no legacy device better than the 99xx series, although the Torch does have a larger screen. I don't think there is any OS7 non-touch alternative, but you do not need to use the touchscreen in any case. Every function can be accessed with the touchpad. I barely ever use the touchscreen, except with Opera Mini, which is the only app I have that requires touchscreen interaction.
    05-18-17 09:36 PM
    They are cheap, small, durable with a long battery life and cheap BIS plans with unlimited BBM I can always connect without a worry of them reaching a data limit.
    All true but keep in mind BlackBerry and carriers are working towards discontinuing BIS and BIS related services.
    05-18-17 09:55 PM
    From your use of £ you are in UK? I am surprised if you can not a better deal for a low amount of 4g data than BIS?
    BIS is £5 a month in the UK. Or £60 a year. That's about the price of tank of gas. 3G/4G Data on my BIS-free phone plan is 1p per MB.

I don't pay any contract or BIS fees since I got the Z10, and my monthly outgoings on a Z10 are usually less than £2. That's 200 texts, about six a day. I have wifi in the car and at the office/home which takes the load off the phone.

Also my plan gets me 200MB a month free so the phone plan costs are less than a beer a month, unless it's a busy month.

A Big Mac over here is £2.99 for comparison.
    05-21-17 03:38 AM
    . I don't think there is any OS7 non-touch alternative <snip>.
    The Curve 9320's and 9370's are still available over here, no touch screen, very nice small phone with BIS/BB7. Batteries and chargers too.

BB Link 7 desktop still works with them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-...UvbUpU12884688
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-21-17 03:43 AM
    Thanks. I didn't know that the Curves were non-touch still in the BB7 era.

The Curve 9320's and 9370's are still available over here, no touch screen, very nice small phone with BIS/BB7. Batteries and chargers too.

BB Link 7 desktop still works with them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-...UvbUpU12885087
    05-21-17 11:33 AM
    Some of them are still on BB6, but the last one I had updated to BB7 over Link.

I moved to a Bold 9900, then to Z10 as the Z10 doesn't need BIS and saves £60 a year in BIS fees at £5 a month.

The Curves with the real buttons on the toolbar are pretty nice phones. Some of them have a flat membrane key either side of the touch-pad thing in the center, and are not as pleasant to use.
    05-21-17 12:38 PM
    I have always believed there is a niche market for a simple communication device, with perhaps a browser and a few decent apps (mapping). I know several people that fit this niche and frankly they could care less about all the App crap. Typically, they like the device to be compact, efficient, and with a big battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 05:44 AM
    I have always believed there is a niche market for a simple communication device, with perhaps a browser and a few decent apps (mapping). I know several people that fit this niche and frankly they could care less about all the App crap. Typically, they like the device to be compact, efficient, and with a big battery.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but I don't know how many of us there are. Personally, I'm just waiting for a compact cellular PC, then I'm out of the mobile phone game.

05-25-17 10:54 AM
41 12