I was just wondering because lasers and stuff like that damage your eyes if held too long. My LED flashes for half a second when I get a notification. Just to be on the safe side, can anybody confirm? Thanks
    09-12-10 09:09 AM
    A Laser is characterized by three things, the light is monochromatic (the same colour), coherent (all moving the same direction) and amplified (increased power).

Coherence and amplified are unique to a laser and the reason it can produce so much energy in a concentrated beam. That is what makes it dangerous.

A LED also produces monochromatic light, but it is out of phase and does not concentrate energy.

Looking directly at a LED is about the same as looking at a light bulb, harmless.
    09-12-10 09:50 AM
    There is no danger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 09:50 AM
    Im trying to figure out if this is serious or not.
    09-12-10 10:01 AM
    The noticiation led is not dangerous. The even bigger led they use for the flash isn't dangerous either unless you stick it in someone's face, it dilates their pupils and they trip on something because they now can't see...
    09-12-10 10:09 AM
    Yes, if you stare at it too long you will become a zombie and RIM can control your brain. Sorry I couldn't resist!

They make TV's with about 50,000 micro LED's now.

09-12-10 10:27 AM
    A Laser is characterized by three things, the light is monochromatic (the same colour), coherent (all moving the same direction) and amplified (increased power).

Coherence and amplified are unique to a laser and the reason it can produce so much energy in a concentrated beam. That is what makes it dangerous.

A LED also produces monochromatic light, but it is out of phase and does not concentrate energy.

Looking directly at a LED is about the same as looking at a light bulb, harmless.
    As stated above LEDs are not harmful to your eyes. LEDs have been around for awhile but are seeing increased usage.
    09-12-10 10:46 AM
    I was just wondering because lasers and stuff like that damage your eyes if held too long. My LED flashes for half a second when I get a notification. Just to be on the safe side, can anybody confirm? Thanks
    LOL! An LED is NOT a laser! (no harm from looking at the LED. Laser IS dangerous)
    09-12-10 11:30 AM
    Is it April 1st?

09-12-10 11:30 AM
    Is it April 1st?

Nah. some people are just more paranoid or anxious than others. Like my next-door neighbor. She worries about radon in the WATER. She worries about salt in the water so she won't use the water softener that was installed in the house before she bought it. She worried about a little bit of Malathion spray on fruit trees adjacent to her back yard. I'm not sure there isn't anything she isn't worried about. (but she's really nice. )
    09-12-10 11:36 AM
    Im trying to figure out if this is serious or not.
    Just reading this post I know it must be april 1st.
    09-12-10 02:10 PM
    If you stare at it long enough, you'll see spots for a long time, but you won't blind yourself :rollseyes:

09-12-10 05:12 PM
    It's a red LED, not a red laser. LOL
    09-12-10 05:54 PM
    It's a red LED, not a red laser. LOL
    stop copying my answers!
    09-12-10 07:03 PM
    Yes you should always wear a welding mask when in close
    Proximity to your blackberry

09-13-10 07:24 AM
    Dang! I thought it was a laser emitting defense. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    09-13-10 07:44 AM
    YES.
    there have been reports correlating the increase in blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate and sudden change in mood with iphone owners and the blackberry LED.

for now, the Center for Disease Control believes that this is highly contagious and up to 0.01% lead to a massive heart attack.

So if you're planning to buy any blackberry, be sure to inform the people around you that you have one...
    09-13-10 07:48 AM
    I use mine as a deathray for ppl I don't like but it seem to not work
    I will try other tactics

Last edited by bx2md; 09-13-10 at 09:01 AM.
    09-13-10 08:58 AM
    With the appropriate app, the individual With the hypnotizing LED can be made to walk into open manholes, drive erratically, and walk in front of an oncoming bus. Just type the PIN # and watch for the news reports tomorrow.

Last edited by BergerKing; 09-13-10 at 05:22 PM.
    09-13-10 09:20 AM
    It's Jef's fault that LED's are so dangerous.

09-13-10 09:29 AM
    The LED is nothing to worry about. The flash on these phones on the other hand.........
    09-13-10 09:44 AM
    It's Jef's fault that LED's are so dangerous.

Friggin Jeff.
    09-13-10 03:13 PM
    I purchased a special pair of protective glasses from crackberry.com to wear when using my BlackBerry. They totally protect my eyes from the laser. Also, I bought the protective vest as well that I wear for protection from the radiation.
    09-13-10 03:20 PM
    I purchased a special pair of protective glasses from crackberry.com to wear when using my BlackBerry. They totally protect my eyes from the laser. Also, I bought the protective vest as well that I wear for protection from the radiation.
    +1 got 'em on Deal of the Day! Best investment ever
    09-13-10 03:22 PM
    ah, I already had a pair of welding goggles. saved me the cost of the "special" glasses.
    09-13-10 03:24 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD