Here's the deal... I've tried touch-screen phones and I still don't like them. I'm sure, with time, I could get use to using a touch-screen. I could get use to using my left hand too, but I'm right handed, and as long as the right one works, why change? I'm interested in the new BB Bold, but really don't NEED to have one when/if it ever hits the stores. Heck, I'm not even a fan of OS6! In fact, I downgraded from 9650 to 9630 because I liked the "dreaded" trackball and OS5 better. My point is this: With all these new phones coming out every day, isn't there a point where you stay with what you've got, for as long as you can, and just be happy with it? Sure, all devices have an end-time, but if what you have does the job, why not leave well enough alone...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 03:03 PM
    As with human nature..were always going to want more and more with everything but you have a very good point.
    07-18-11 03:38 PM
    There are 4 kinds of people in the world:
    1 it's new so I got to have it or my friends won't think I am hip.
    2 it's new so I got to have it because I just LOVE new tech-stuff.
    3 I like what I got and understand it and it works for me so I keep it.
    4 I don't like tech stuff and use pen and paper, it always works.
    And that is how the cookie crumbles according to me.
    p.s. I will admit I am a type 2 guy
    Last edited by PsyCorps; 07-18-11 at 03:41 PM.
    gunderscorewil likes this.
    07-18-11 03:39 PM
  4. T
    Here's the deal... I've tried touch-screen phones and I still don't like them. I'm sure, with time, I could get use to using a touch-screen. I could get use to using my left hand too, but I'm right handed, and as long as the right one works, why change? I'm interested in the new BB Bold, but really don't NEED to have one when/if it ever hits the stores. Heck, I'm not even a fan of OS6! In fact, I downgraded from 9650 to 9630 because I liked the "dreaded" trackball and OS5 better. My point is this: With all these new phones coming out every day, isn't there a point where you stay with what you've got, for as long as you can, and just be happy with it? Sure, all devices have an end-time, but if what you have does the job, why not leave well enough alone...?

I'm with you. I find something I like, and I stick with it. Even at restaurants, I always get the exact same thing I'm used to getting at whichever particular restaurant I'm at. And I can understand your going back to the Tour. It's a great design, trackball and all. I'm still on Windows XP, and I have absolutely no interest in the newer operating systems. I hate touch screens, too.

Another thing I love in addition to the BlackBerry smartphone is the fountain pen, the communication tool of yesteryear. How's that for archaic? I have some nice ones, and I'll sometimes take one out and show some old timer who was probably around in the era when fountain pens were in regular use. Usually s/he'll look at me aksew, like "Why would you want that? We hated those and were glad when the ballpoint came out!" But most people didn't have the nice ones back in those days. Having one at all was like having a smartphone; you were fortunate and took care of it. The nice ones didn't leak ink (or memory) then, and they don't leak now. They're a beautiful design and pleasure to write with. I don't even like to touch a ballpoint pen and hate when I must.

So yea, I understand totally. When a design is already elegant, efficient, and plenty functional, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. I hate when someone tampers with a good design. Usually he doesn't improve it, he desecrates it.
    07-18-11 04:16 PM
    We are talking about tech where innovation moves hard and fast. Its not about how hip we are its how it helps us in our daily lives. I was content with 56k modems but are people still using them cause its well enough?
    Nokia and palm were powerhouses back in the mid 2000s. You get content and proud of your product and do not like change or trends. Slow to react where the market is going cause your well enough? You get behind and it will be almost impossible to catch back up. Cause the mindshare is gone.

07-18-11 08:29 PM
    We are talking about tech where innovation moves hard and fast. Its not about how hip we are its how it helps us in our daily lives. I was content with 56k modems but are people still using them cause its well enough?
    Nokia and palm were powerhouses back in the mid 2000s. You get content and proud of your product and do not like change or trends. Slow to react where the market is going cause your well enough? You get behind and it will be almost impossible to catch back up. Cause the mindshare is gone.

You talking in general or about RIM? Sounds like could be either.
    07-18-11 08:46 PM
    I guess I am with Tonis here. I am still content with my 9700 and as much as I would like a new phone, I am still content on my 9700.

I also get the same dish at each restraunt, lol!

Sometimes change is good, sometimes it isn't....again "to each their own."

07-18-11 08:47 PM
    3 I like what I got and understand it and it works for me so I keep it.
    Gotta say I'm a number 2 type girl too
    I love new techy things... and I get bored with devices and stuff pretty fast
    07-18-11 08:49 PM
    ah man this is a thread i really needed to read. its so hard to be a type 2 guy (mentioned above). I've found myself becoming obsessed with always wanting the latest and greatest. It's funny because once you get headed down that path (at least in my case anyway) its hard to really, if ever, feel satisfied with what you have. It really just becomes a choice - to just be happy with what you have if it works for you.

Surely im just ranting about my own faults but it's a change that needs to be made in my world.

Sorry for getting all philosophical...........*goes and lists some gadgets on kijiji.....
    07-18-11 08:55 PM
    I try to stick with a device for as long as possible (or at least as long as my contract). I had my 8830WE until the Tour came out, and kept that until my contract ended. I still use the Tour for things even though it is no longer my daily driver. I have a year before my current contract is up, so hopefully the QNX devices will be out when it is time to upgrade.
    07-19-11 06:53 AM
    Gotta say I'm a number 2 type girl too
    I love new techy things... and I get bored with devices and stuff pretty fast
    Lol, same here, SmakBerry!

But in general...the issue I have is that with the oversaturation of devices there is minimal real update, so I'm left just as bored as I was with the old device. Sometimes holding on to a device for a couple of years may be good in that you can appreciate something that will be more innovative then a repackaging of what you already have.

07-19-11 09:42 AM
    I fall into #3 and agree with the OP. I also have the old but reliable Tour that I love and still use today. I'm way due for an upgrade but I choose not too simply b/c I do not NEED to. It does everything the high end phone does and gets the job done. My time to upgrade will come when my Tour is no longer working or is too slow. I guess I'm just very old school and I rather appreciate and make the most of what I have instead of getting a new phone every few month or year considering the small incremental improvements. I'm still going to get the latest and greatest, just not right now.
    Last edited by noized77; 07-19-11 at 10:22 AM.
    07-19-11 10:18 AM

I'm a very happy owner of the Tour 9630. I was about to purchase the Iphone 4 but various incidents made me convinced I wasn't asking the right questions (made a topic about it a few days ago)...
    After doing careful research I was sure BB was the baby for me, and as it was delivered into my hand, holding it for the first time, feeling interaction between human and machine on a different level than I've ever done on mobile, I knew - this was the one.
    I don't even think of it much as a mobile anymore, if I put it somewhere, I think "where's my Blackberry?". I try to take care of it, and keep it in the black (leather?) case which came with the mobile. Bed-side mode almost feels intimate. All in all, I would never describe the trackball as "dreaded", I think Trackball+qwerty rules!
    07-19-11 11:59 AM
    I just upgraded my pearl to an 8520 a couple weeks ago. I've used a Pearl for several years.

I suppose I'm behind the times, but I can't see spending hundreds of dollars on the newest craze, when I get all the functionality that I need for $40 on Craigslist.
    07-19-11 02:46 PM
    3 I like/dislike what I got and understand it and it works for me so I keep/change it.
    changed for accuracy-----------------> i land somewhere between 2 and 3
    07-19-11 04:53 PM
    My only problem with touchscreen (so far) is an all touchscreen phone. This is the far reaching trend and is only going to get more expansive. I like a physical keyboard and am resistant to an all touch screen phone, but I have to admit that I've spent some time on a Droid X and with Swype and modern touchscreens make them as accurate and nice as physical keyboards. As far as I'm concerned, there's still a big physical difference between hitting a button and just tapping a screen.

I'm sure that I could get used to one, and they're not all bad, but at this point nothing stands out enough for me to want to go that route. I'm sure in the future something will.
    07-19-11 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD