Hi - great forums here...you are a wealth of info.

I have a torch 9800 -- the phone is mine (not my company's) but it is on BES. I will be leaving the job next month and expect them to wipe the phone. My understanding is that this will delete all work-related and personal data (pictures, videos, apps, etc) from the phone.

What is the best way to prepare for this so it's as seamless as possible with respect to my non-work-related data? Is a backup/restore through desktop manager all I need to do? After the phone is wiped, do I need to register/activate BIS before I restore?

I had been under the wrong assumption that all entries in my personal calendar (associated with my gmail address) would be stored on gmail's server. I logged onto gmail on a pc today and saw my calendar there was blank. I researched google sync and set it up...seems to work for new calendar entries I make on my phone but not the existing ones. I really don't want to lose those calendar entries -- will these be there when I restore after the wipe?

Also -- out of curiosity (not a need for advice) -- when I do a backup, it backs up all my work email. When I do a restore (post-wipe) -- are all my work emails going to get back onto the phone? This seems so counter-intuitive but since it is all lumped into one huge backup file on my pc I don't see how it would be separated

Thanks in advance!
    01-21-12 11:34 PM
    Hi - great forums here...you are a wealth of info.

I have a torch 9800 -- the phone is mine (not my company's) but it is on BES. I will be leaving the job next month and expect them to wipe the phone. My understanding is that this will delete all work-related and personal data (pictures, videos, apps, etc) from the phone.

What is the best way to prepare for this so it's as seamless as possible with respect to my non-work-related data? Is a backup/restore through desktop manager all I need to do? After the phone is wiped, do I need to register/activate BIS before I restore?

I had been under the wrong assumption that all entries in my personal calendar (associated with my gmail address) would be stored on gmail's server. I logged onto gmail on a pc today and saw my calendar there was blank. I researched google sync and set it up...seems to work for new calendar entries I make on my phone but not the existing ones. I really don't want to lose those calendar entries -- will these be there when I restore after the wipe?

Also -- out of curiosity (not a need for advice) -- when I do a backup, it backs up all my work email. When I do a restore (post-wipe) -- are all my work emails going to get back onto the phone? This seems so counter-intuitive but since it is all lumped into one huge backup file on my pc I don't see how it would be separated

Thanks in advance!
    You are correct it will wipe all data both personal and work. If you have a memory card then all your media will be saved there so no need to worry about that a wipe wont delete that stuff. your old calendar entrees will be gone when you do the wipe. yes if you do a back up it will back up both personal and work emails. i haven't touched DM in a long while as i do daily backups threw BBP(BlackBerry Protect), but i think there is a way to do a custom back up and select what gets backed up and what doesn't. how is depth that is im not sure.
    hopefully that helped and more people chime in to help ya out too.
    01-22-12 12:55 AM
    If your company uses BlackBerry Balance on the BES, only your work data will be wiped and unrecoverable, even if backed up on bbdtm. U may want to confirm with ur IT dept wat they r usingzm good luck
    01-22-12 10:01 AM
    There is a forum for business users who are using BES. You might want to post your question there.
    01-22-12 11:03 AM
  5. T
    I would make sure your that if your media card is encrypted it's not using a device key. It should be set to "Device Password" (and make sure you remember the password) or your media card files may be lost.
    01-22-12 11:33 AM
    Tonis, that's an excellent point. I bet some folks have painfully overlooked this detail. Cheers!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-22-12 12:31 PM
    I am not sure about BES enabled BlackBerry Backups, I would think that a BES Admin would force backups of the device to be encrypted and require you to be connected to the BES to load the backup file back onto the device, that may not be the case, but I can see that being a security risk if one can back up a device via DM and load everything back on after a BES connection has been severed.

Right now what I would so is get a desktop program you can sync your calendar/emails too, Outlook, Thunder Bird, something like that and do the sync now, I would do as Tonis pointed out for your Memory card, or NOW copy everything from your memory card onto a computer so it is free of encryption,

depending on the BES policies there are many things that could be blocked or not possible, it is wise you are taking the time now to figure out what you'll need to do.
    13echo4 likes this.
    01-22-12 01:31 PM
  8. T
    ... or NOW copy everything from your memory card onto a computer so it is free of encryption ...
    That would be the better course of action. You never know what can go wrong. A device key could be in use, and the BES policy might even prevent you from changing the media card encryption mode to "Device Password." If you are able to successfully connect your BlackBerry to Desktop Software, you'll need to use the "Files" feature of BlackBerry Desktop Software Version 6 to transfer any encrypted media card files to your pc. If you use the USB (mass storage mode) method, your encrypted files will be unreadable on your pc.
    01-22-12 01:47 PM
    Using DM you have the option of selecting what to backup. It wont hurt anything if you where to try to backup your personal stuff now just to see if you can can do it. If your like me right before its time your going to have to backup again. Now is time to play with to see just what you can do.
    01-22-12 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD