Geez, your last paragraph was 60ish words alone! Hats off to ya if you did write all that in around a min and a half. :O

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-11 12:29 PM
    Think how long you wait to open a web page and how long you spend reading it
    A few seconds don't make that much of a difference.

01-29-11 12:42 PM
    That's because you were using your SureType keyboard. Perfect for messaging, horrible for browsing.
    So perfect that's it's being discontinued.
    01-29-11 12:44 PM
    I honestly can't wait to get rid of my Tour. I liked it when I first got it, but this latest email outage, in addition to other frustrations, have pushed me over the edge.

The web takes absolutely forever to respond, my track ball gives me grief (although it's been better as of late), it freezes sometimes, and it has trouble with quite a few emails (won't open them at all, truncating, etc.). I'm just getting irritated.

Thinking about an Android phone now. Will consider iPhone, but probably won't get it. It's too bad, because BB does a lot of things right.
    01-29-11 10:32 PM
    I'm definitely getting the iPhone as soon as possible now that verizon is carrying them. The BB Bold is definitely the wrong phone for me.

1. Terrible webbrowsing experience which is unacceptable with an expensive data plan. What's the point having a lousy browser where web surfing is nearly impossible. The new webkit browser is nothing to write home about. That's the biggest reason

2. Small keyboard makes typing difficult. Touch screen keys and screen blows away my current Bold.

3. All I find the BB is, is just an expensive way to text and e-mail. I could do the same functions with a RAZR and the RAZR has better display and bigger keys.

Definitely assess what you want in a smartphone.
    Not really sure why you compared the Bold with iPhone4? The Torch is probably a better comparison. I'd say browsing on the Torch is comparable to the iPhone, (actually I used the new iPod Touch for my comparison). BTW, your viewable screen size will be virtually the same as the Bold when you're typing since the keyboard consumes a lot of space.

Regarding browsing, I was in a public library with free wifi today and had a Bold 9700, Torch 9800 and iPod Touch with me. Both Blackberrys detected the wifi signal and made connections, but the signal was too weak I presume for the iPod, so the browsing score was Torch 1, Bold 0.5 and iPod 0. No connection = no browsing.
    Personally I really prefer the iPod for reading my favourite news media, so I was a little ticked that it wouldn't detect a signal. Right now in my basement my Bold is detecting 3 networks, my Torch can find 2 and my iPod isn't finding any, so I guess the Bold has that going for it?
    01-30-11 12:49 AM
    So perfect that's it's being discontinued.
    When is that happening? SureType is alive and well on the Torch. Or do you mean SurePress?
    01-30-11 12:55 AM
    Not really sure why you compared the Bold with iPhone4? The Torch is probably a better comparison.
    I wasn't so much making a direct comparison.....more like those were the two phones I couldn't decide between after reading reviews etc.

The torch looks like a nice device, but I am not a big fan of phones with moving parts (hinges/clamshell design, sliders etc.). My experience has been that the movable mechanisms wear out and the looseness of the two pieces drives me nuts.
    01-30-11 01:56 AM
    When is that happening? SureType is alive and well on the Torch. Or do you mean SurePress?
    Yep, you are correct. My mistake.
    01-30-11 06:59 AM
    Not really sure why you compared the Bold with iPhone4? The Torch is probably a better comparison. I'd say browsing on the Torch is comparable to the iPhone, (actually I used the new iPod Touch for my comparison). BTW, your viewable screen size will be virtually the same as the Bold when you're typing since the keyboard consumes a lot of space.

Regarding browsing, I was in a public library with free wifi today and had a Bold 9700, Torch 9800 and iPod Touch with me. Both Blackberrys detected the wifi signal and made connections, but the signal was too weak I presume for the iPod, so the browsing score was Torch 1, Bold 0.5 and iPod 0. No connection = no browsing.
    Personally I really prefer the iPod for reading my favourite news media, so I was a little ticked that it wouldn't detect a signal. Right now in my basement my Bold is detecting 3 networks, my Torch can find 2 and my iPod isn't finding any, so I guess the Bold has that going for it?
    iPod Touch is an iPhone without a Phone, and no, browsing on a Torch is not comparable to an iPhone.

The screen on the iPhone is bigger, the screen resolution is almost quadruple that of a Torch. The Blackberry WebKit browser has no HTML5 support, and is slower. I notice images in the Blackberry browser tend to have the Opera Mini compressed look as well (they look ink-stained compared to other browsers).

Also, there is a noticeable pause when loading web pages on OS6. Maybe it's due to the compression and the handset is decompressing data (which is exacerbated by a slow processor)?

The fact that the library you went to was too cheap to place WiFi extenders around the library like all the decent libraries do does not make a BB better for browsing than a iTouch. You just happened to be in a technologically inept library, that's all.

The biggest turnoff of the torch for me is the keyboard. It's the worst BB hardware keyboard I've ever felt/used.
    01-30-11 11:38 AM
    iPod Touch is an iPhone without a Phone, and no, browsing on a Torch is not comparable to an iPhone.

The screen on the iPhone is bigger, the screen resolution is almost quadruple that of a Torch. The Blackberry WebKit browser has no HTML5 support, and is slower. I notice images in the Blackberry browser tend to have the Opera Mini compressed look as well (they look ink-stained compared to other browsers).

Also, there is a noticeable pause when loading web pages on OS6. Maybe it's due to the compression and the handset is decompressing data (which is exacerbated by a slow processor)?

The fact that the library you went to was too cheap to place WiFi extenders around the library like all the decent libraries do does not make a BB better for browsing than a iTouch. You just happened to be in a technologically inept library, that's all.

The biggest turnoff of the torch for me is the keyboard. It's the worst BB hardware keyboard I've ever felt/used.
    The keyboard does offer some advantages in browser though, for a start you don't lose 2/3 of the screen when typing in a web page. Also there's the very useful shortcuts, tabs, t-top, b-bottom, space-page down, very useful when reading text, f-search in page, p-page address etc etc I couldn't do without them.
    01-30-11 01:53 PM
    Yep, you are correct. My mistake.
    A suretype like keyboard is also available for android as well.

01-30-11 03:25 PM
    I have had numerous phones, alot of blackberries, iPhone, mytouch and last HTC Evo. I just recently picked up a BB Curve 3g because I do miss blackberry, it's a phone I always come back too.
    01-30-11 05:20 PM
    I had the 9700 for a while, and then I got bored. I wanted something with a bigger screen. Went to Android's 2.1 build on the HTC Desire. It had too narrow of a screen. Went to the iphone, and I've had it for about 5 months. It's a fantastic device. I miss typing! So I have the torch. I missed the keyboard. But now I'll miss the fun games :P. Lol. When it came down to it, I used my phone to communicate and a hardware keyboard did it for me. The torch has a large screen (relatively), and allows me to type out a lot and not have to focus on a small screen.

I love my iphone 4. I love the torch. But they fill different functions.
    01-30-11 05:33 PM
    Have you ever tried to write an email on an iPhone? I've written a few on the bus/train etc and it's a pain. I'd rather have a physical keyboard in order to get the job done. I would stay with a BB to be honest.

My opinion tho. It's up to you to make your decision.
    I have both the 9800 & the iphone 4. I love the iphone 4 for games and cool apps, but the 9800 (and any BB with a keyboard) is my bread & butter for messaging. It just makes writing messages A LOT easier. I find the iphone 4 makes me slower, and no autotext makes me even slower, and it's autocorrect drives me mad as it guesses at words that exist ... and offers "iPhone" as the solution! Lol. I type in other languages as well, and sometimes I'll type out a word and then all of a suddent "Apple iPad" comes out! WOW! lol.

If you do a lot of texting, get a BB. If you like pretty glimmering things, get the iphone. I have both. I change from day to day. I use Google Talk and Whatsapp 85% of the time, so texting is important and the iphone isn't the best for that. But I made friends with iphones and we have a ton of online games we play together, and competitions and such. I have a ton of BB people who just message me because they're bored. Lol.

See what you mostly need. Maybe you need a change, and you'll be back. Look at my sig. :P hehe.
    01-30-11 05:40 PM
    Okay, in lieu of starting a whole new thread, I'll just jump in on this one!

I currently have a Curve 8330 on Verizon, and my contract is up in May. My fiancee and I are on the same plan, so we are exploring our options, including possibly switching carriers.

History: this is my first "smart phone", previous to this I always used the least expensive flip phones Verizon offered. My fiance has an LG EnV2, but has not used it for browsing and such until recently.

My usage is 40% texting (sms, never use bbm), 55% online browsing, and MAYBE 5% actual phone usage. I rarely if ever use the actual phone. I am a musician, so my online time is often video watching and looking up song lyrics.

My fiancee uses the phone maybe 20% of the time, texting 60%, and browsing the remaining 20%. Her usage is mostly facebook, and her web-based work email.

I really like the physical keyboard aspect of the blackberry. I also like the superior (so I've been told) browser experience on iPhone.

1st question, what are the benefits of one carrier over the other? Right now, one thing I really like about AT&T is the phone has wi-fi capabilities, which are unavailable on Verizon. As I said, a majority of my usage is online, so wi-fi would be a great option.

Question 2: Is wi-fi Blackberry operation drastically quicker than using 3G browsing?

Question 3: we both have looked at the Blackberry Torch at AT&T, and the iPhone. I like the Torch (due to the physical keyboard), but some specs disappointed me, mostly browser related items. Is there any phone that supports Flash movies? Is the resolution on the Torch screen as drastically low as some of the reviews I've read? I've also seen a few online reviews speaking of the lack of volume of the speaker. I like the device overall, but I'm really hoping I don't but something and then regret it afterward.

I'm not looking for you to talk me into anything! I'm looking for someone here (with far more knowledge on smart phones) to look at my usage and requirements and guide me into what product and service will work best for me.

I should probably interject that we currently do not own an actual computer or laptop, which explains why a majority of my usage is browsing. Also, this makes updating software and such impossible.

Thanks for the help in advance!

01-30-11 07:18 PM
    Android 2.2 phones have full flash and air.
    01-30-11 07:53 PM
    iPhone > BB.

I was a BlackBerry user for 2+ years, switched to the iPhone 4 in early December. The iPhone does everything better than the BlackBerry.

The only feature I miss (hardly) is BlackBerry Messenger. I type just about as fast on it as the 9700 I had.

I feel as if buying a BlackBerry (at this point, based upon there current devices for sale) would be a huge downgrade.

I really like the iPhone, give it a try.
    01-30-11 08:11 PM
    My wife just got a Motorola defy,
    at first I loved it, much better screen, touchscreen and I really liked the android operating system.
    after taking it to work for a day, I couldn't wait to get my 9700 back.
    I hated the touchscreen, and I missed my keyboard a lot.
    Plus I think RIM did a super job on the OS6.
    01-30-11 08:25 PM
    I'm still really leaning toward the torch. I'm really wondering if the few issues are gonna drive me insane. I only used the torch briefly at the store, but I liked the option of using touch-screen OR the keyboard.

01-30-11 08:33 PM
    iPhone > BB.

I was a BlackBerry user for 2+ years, switched to the iPhone 4 in early December. The iPhone does everything better than the BlackBerry.

The only feature I miss (hardly) is BlackBerry Messenger. I type just about as fast on it as the 9700 I had.

I feel as if buying a BlackBerry (at this point, based upon there current devices for sale) would be a huge downgrade.

I really like the iPhone, give it a try.
    I agree. Was a BlackBerry user for just over a year and felt the same way. I don't miss a lot from BlackBerry. iPhone just kind of grew on me.
    01-30-11 09:29 PM
    I didn't see the other posts, but others may have said the same thing.. It all depends on your preference and where you live. Where I live, some areas are better with my BB on Verizon, and some areas are better on my iPhone4 with AT&T. I have had BB's for a long time and I loved them. My last phone was a BB Bold 9650 and i was in love.

For me, my usage on the iPhone is Texting at 50%, Calls at 20%, Web Browsing/email at 10% and messing with games/apps at 20%. With my BB, it was about texting at 60% texting/bbm, 20% emails, 10% web browsing and 10% for everything else.

I mainly had a BB for business use, but I also loved BBM. It was professional, the emails came through great and it was just easy to use for work. Since I didnt need it anymore, I went with iPhone for many reasons. Wanted an iPod (I loved the iTouch), big screen with great quality (I also like the touch screen), all the awesome apps and many other reasons. It al comes down to what you want from a phone. I have nothing against BB's but this is what works for me now.
    01-31-11 11:11 AM

You sound authoritative but I doubt you own all the facts. It is slower yes.

-You don�t have to worry about feature availability, the Torch has everything that a developer expects from a modern HTML5 browser.
    -You can add Torch to the elite band of Chrome and Safari as the developer�s dream browser.
    -You don�t have to worry about performance if you�re simply presenting content, as long as you stay away from using Canvas. (If you need drawing capability, stick with SVG.) Unfortunately, this means that you�ll need to do SVG for BlackBerry and Canvas for Android, since Android (maddeningly) still doesn�t have SVG support.
    -You do have to focus on performance tuning for dynamic content and when building true applications. Here, stick to simple CSS styling and watch your use of dynamic CSS capabilities. Some work fine (aka simple CSS Animations), but the more advanced capabilities will have performance quirks.
    And yes, don�t try to do heavy Math!

You can find that and more on the web (Aug/2010). Not giving you the link though.
    02-02-11 03:27 PM
    i think BB is sick!
    02-02-11 07:21 PM
    Well, as for my dilemma, I have officially taken the iPhone off my list of options.
    My best friend picked up a new iPhone 3 days ago. After a lengthy discussion last night, with him extolling the virtues of the iPhone, he just sent me a message on facebook saying his new phone seized up, and has totally stopped working. Since you can't do a battery pull, it can't reset. I guess he called Apple for assistance and they have been far less than helpful. He is supposed to be going back to AT&T to see what they will do to help.
    I just can't justify spending that much money on a phone that can't reset in the event of an issue. And his experience with Apple support is a pretty big turn off too.

So, I'm back to either a Droid or the Torch.

02-02-11 09:13 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD