...and not have to back up our apps. I have an iPad and upgrading to iOS 5 yesterday was nothing but frustrating (not as frustrating as not getting emails, Tweets, FB notifications and BBMs, but still...) Took me several tries just to get things right (freezing, etc..., but that was a known issue). The iPad 2 is actually my first wi-fi Apple device and I was very surprised I wasn't able to upgrade OTA like I could with Blackberry. What surprised me even MORE was that after the upgrade, my iPad was pretty much back to factory reset and I had to re-install everything (at least I didn't have to repay for apps that cost money). I had expected better from Apple.
    10-13-11 07:59 AM
    I went through the same **** with my gf's ipad (refused to back up at first, icloud didn't seem to sync, iphoto refused to believe there was an update, and then her apps didn't restore properly, and there were a load of old apps back on there and all her folders disappeared...god that was an awful evening).

However, it won't be a problem in the future, as all ios devices can now do differential updates over the air, without doing back ups (i.e. just the same as the PB) and anyway, backups can occur OTA now anyway, so these problems should be gone (or so I hope, as I'm the one that always has to update my gf's devices, so I don't want that **** any more)
    10-13-11 08:17 AM
    Of course you are right.. nobody has ever had a problem updating the os on a BB
    10-13-11 01:29 PM
    iOS 5 users can OTA upgrade as well now.
    10-13-11 01:32 PM
    iOS 5 users can OTA upgrade as well now.
    And it appears as though those updates will continue to be simultaneously released for all devices, not trickled out after carrier approvals the way Android updates are often distributed.
    10-13-11 01:37 PM
    The iOS 5 update you did for your iPad's was over 700MB... I updated two iPad's and thankfully didn't have any problems that's been reported. That's a pretty big update. Now that you're on iOS 5, you can too enjoy OTA updates, just like the Blackberry's... And they are carrier independent... imagine that....
    Last edited by schlammuuagar; 10-13-11 at 01:45 PM.
    10-13-11 01:42 PM
    ...and not have to back up our apps. I have an iPad and upgrading to iOS 5 yesterday was nothing but frustrating (not as frustrating as not getting emails, Tweets, FB notifications and BBMs, but still...) Took me several tries just to get things right (freezing, etc..., but that was a known issue). The iPad 2 is actually my first wi-fi Apple device and I was very surprised I wasn't able to upgrade OTA like I could with Blackberry. What surprised me even MORE was that after the upgrade, my iPad was pretty much back to factory reset and I had to re-install everything (at least I didn't have to repay for apps that cost money). I had expected better from Apple.
    Um, sorry to tell you but most of the time you still have to connect your BB to desktop manager before doing OTA upgrade, unless you back up your unit all of the time. Plus, the OTA download has to be a vendor authorized one to do OTA, you cannot do a leaked one that way. And last, but not least, Apple doesn't do 35 updates a year.....all I ever see on the sitckies is 'wow, update to 6.800.xxx.xxx three weeks after another update that you just did. Plus, you see an awful lot of updates done incorrectly that brick the BB's, so you have to bring them down to code screen and reload.....so nobody has bragging rights on easy OS updates, they ALL have issues. BB, Android, and Apple.
    10-16-11 07:06 PM
    BB updates are ridiculously UN-USER FRIENDLY. I'm so glad I have some trouble-shooting skills, because if I didn't it would be scary. You have to know the process. Plus, the carriers never push the latest/newest update automatically to devices, so if users waited for their carrier they would have an OS that was 5 months behind and buggy. I'm really hoping the QNX devices have the friendly OTA process that the PB employs.
    10-16-11 07:24 PM
    I agree with the others. Now if you root an Android phone and install Titanium Backup, you can have it automatically do a batch backup and then when you do an OTA update on your OS, then you can reinstall the apps as they were saved at one time.
    10-16-11 07:51 PM
    I agree with the others. Now if you root an Android phone and install Titanium Backup, you can have it automatically do a batch backup and then when you do an OTA update on your OS, then you can reinstall the apps as they were saved at one time.
    Extremely easy OTA if you're rooted with Titanium. I would like to see Android make it just as easy out of the box.
    10-16-11 07:55 PM
    Extremely easy OTA if you're rooted with Titanium. I would like to see Android make it just as easy out of the box.
    Total agreement. Granted you can keep your apps that you paid for but it's nice to have the non-paid apps saved. And all of them saved as they were. I remember not doing a backup with Titanium and lost all my games levels and my banking app had no info saved...what a pain. But painless from no on.
    10-16-11 08:00 PM
    Usually if you own a device and constantly sync to iTunes, it will backup all your apps and such. I downloaded iOS 5 with ease on my iPad 2 and iPod Touch and back up did take insanely forever, but in the end, I had everything good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD